Active Topics

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Somtimes i miss having microB on my Windows desktop

The Following User Says Thank You to TiagoTiago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 395 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on May 2010 @ TMO
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
heard you might able to scroll through long pages with meego version of microB woithout getting a grey empty space in your face for a while. Success!
Hopefully it stops giving people the white page of doom as well.

Opera Mobile really rocks..
its is fast and intuitive.
its is my no 1browser although opera is without flash support..

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
I'm a heavy web surfer on my N900. At least couple of hours a day is spent on it visiting dozens of web sites and writing and editing blog / forum posts. Other browsers just do not compare to MicroB right now imo. (I have tried latest daily build of fennec, Opera mobile etc) MicroB still wins imo.

- I use greasemonkey to ensure some websites are not shrunk-fit into 800pixels wide. (such as TMO)
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...t=greasemonkey

- Virtual mouse pointer controllable by finger is a god-send. Ability to simply select exactly what I want just like a mouse by holding shift to highlight text etc, hover on top of web objects and see context popups or navigate menus etc. WHat other browser can do this? (Opera does it via keyboard arrows but it's just not the same)

- Zoom via volume rocker is also a god send. I prefer this to any other method of zooming by other phones / browsers.

- Having multiple windows open and switch between them super quick va Shortcutd. (camera half-press) (tab browsing would be cool too but there's just not enough screen space for it really)

To me, MicroB + N9000 gives the closest thing to a desktop browsing experience on ANY mobile phone.

Last edited by jakiman; 2010-11-22 at 02:25.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post

- Virtual mouse pointer controllable by finger is a god-send. Ability to simply select exactly what I want just like a mouse by holding shift to highlight text etc, hover on top of web objects and see context popups or navigate menus etc. WHat other browser can do this? (Opera

- Zoom via volume rocker is also a god send. I prefer this to any other method of zooming by other phones / browsers.

- Having multiple windows open and switch between them super quick va Shortcutd. (camera half-press) (tab browsing would be cool too but there's just not enough screen space for it really)
Agreed, I haven't seen any other mobile device browser do these. Nor is it likely in the future. Everyone has gone gaga over pinch-to-zoom, for example.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 31 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Finland / UK
Does anyone know what happened to the plan to use Webkit as the layout engine of choice for Meego devices? All netbooks and tablets running meego are running Chromium, I base this only on screenshots and videos seen. But now, at least on the handset side it seems that Fennec will be used.

Even for Symbian^3 they chose to use Webkit instead of Gecko. My understanding is that webkit is supposed to use less RAM. Don't get me wrong, I think microB is great and I'm sure if Nokia decides to integrate fennec as part of Meego they will optimise it to work as fluidly as microB. But it just makes me wonder, with plans to bring both Meego and Symbian closer together, why use a different layout engines.

Posts: 136 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ SF East Bay, Cali
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
I'm a heavy web surfer on my N900. At least couple of hours a day is spent on it visiting dozens of web sites and writing and editing blog / forum posts. Other browsers just do not compare to MicroB right now imo. (I have tried latest daily build of fennec, Opera mobile etc) MicroB still wins imo.

[.. other praise removed]

To me, MicroB + N9000 gives the closest thing to a desktop browsing experience on ANY mobile phone.
I feel the same way for Firefox/fennec! To each their own.

Originally Posted by tissot View Post
N900 overclocked to 900mhz and microb is still the best mobile browser i have tried. I would love to have it on my Galaxy S running hummingbird CPU.
That said it's hard to say much about this as we simply don't know how will the browser perform on N9 or whatever. Microb is not perfect by no means as flash 10.1 is not there and improvements to the UI like going fullscreen can be much improved imo.
FF will be on MeeGo but do we know if Nokia will be using it? Especially on MeeGo-Harmattan?
EDIT:

And then chrome comes and rapes them all?
chrome is not hildonized so no.

also I am shocked at how some people say that n900 almost fully replaces laptop/desktop. For me, it's much harder to browse websites on smaller screen. I only surf on it when I am in bed and too lazy to get up and use my laptop.

Last edited by aligatro; 2010-11-22 at 06:30.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by michou View Post
But it just makes me wonder, with plans to bring both Meego and Symbian closer together, why use a different layout engines.
was that really the plan? weren't they moving symbian to cheap devices and meego is coming to the best specced devices. using different browsers with somewhat unified UX would be the most logical choice imo.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
What happened to Chromium? It was the best backup browser for a while.

Tags
microb