Notices

Posts: 862 | Thanked: 2,511 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Germany
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Some feedback. First, let me tell you I love this nifty little app. Very useful indeed.
Thank you for the feedback.

By default it is installed in the Science category. I think it should go to Development, although others might of course think otherwise.
It is really hard to choose. So at sourceforge it is in category Science & Engineering->Scientific/Engineering.
You want it in development. However you can nothing develop with it (like it is described in maemo wiki deployment).
Sixwheeledbeast send me a control file with utilities. Regarding the wiki, tools should go under utilities category.
My decision now is: "utilities" category.

[*] There is no need for the "Exit" menu entry. In fact people won't expect it and may confuse it for "Edit" as I did - and get a surprise
Done.

Some help would be nice. It did not take me long to work out what the A, B, C registers are for but still.
Ok I see. I will implement a small help. You also can read the first post.

Switching to fewer bits and back clears the top bits. This should not happen. At least not in the signed mode: it should sign-extend when switching from e.g. 8 to 16 bits.
I think it is okay because they don't exists in fewer bits. Hmm "sign-extend" sorry I don't get it. I thought it is zero-extention.
In principle these radiobutton doesn't make a cast it is only a general configuration and can't be applied to single register.

The ASCII fields are not necessarily ASCII. By that I mean non-ASCII values are not suppressed. This can be considered a feature of course.
Then it is a feature.

It would be nice to have an option to save the current state on exit. I would even welcome that as the default.
I don't like it as default. But maybe I will implement an option to load/save the settings when start/close the application. For the next release there will be only a save and load menu entry.

It would be nice to have a "Clear" button, although not really necessary as one could just type 0 in the "dec" or "hex" edit box.
There is now a clear button (clears current register) and a "clear all" menu entry (clears all registers).

It would be nice to have a switch between little and big endian. Probably only useful for the ASCII representation and that can be easily reversed so perhaps not that important.
Yes not that important.

I am probably too young for that and have never seen the point but some people might like the conversion to/from octal base (did you realize that there is no way to type a decimal integer zero in C? ).
Done.

Be happy to update to a next release later today.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Halftux For This Useful Post:
At least not in the signed mode: it should sign-extend when switching from e.g. 8 to 16 bits.
Okay I understand now. You want when switching in signed mode from lower bit size to higher bit size that the decimal value doesn't change.
I will implement this as an option. I think the application itself is more written from the Hex side that this value is fixed and not the decimal value.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Halftux For This Useful Post:
New version uploaded to extras!

Very important: I fixed a bug which was caused by the compiler.
So now 8bit signed calculations for the armel version should be correct since version 1.7.1maemo2.
Before only the i386 version was calculating right.

Updated screenshot and description in first post.
New version can be downloaded from extras after quarantine ends.

* fixed bug in bit size change
* added optionDialog
* added option sign extension
* added automatic load save
* removed limit hex lineedit
* fixed bug in disable ip and ascii fields
* changed about dialog
* fixed compiler bug 8bit signed

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Halftux For This Useful Post:
Attached version for hamattan (N9/N950) at first post. However ugly harmattan qtwidgets. Double click qlineedit to get virtual keyboard.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Halftux For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
@halftux
You are also on the Harmattan train, now?

Then you should create an account on openrepos.net and upload there.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
@halftux
You are also on the Harmattan train, now?
@peterleinchen

no not really I am to lazy for learning qml or qtquick or what ever
But I said when I win something in the coding competition I start porting. So I had no clue about N9(50).
Then I got the N950 but were so disappointed because no theme or good support for qtwidgets and this bloody aegis xxxx make me stop working heavily with harmattan.
The swipe thing is a big step forward but the other things make thousands steps in the opposite direction.

At least I try to give something back to the community. Sometimes I think it is better and more useful for the community when I give the phone back to somebody who coding more but I am to proud to have won something and to own a N950.

Hmm openrepos I will have a look.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Halftux For This Useful Post:
Hi all,

I'm the original author of HexTool. I discovered this thread via google searches for HexTool.

Many thanks for Halftux for making a cool port and for sharing it. Nice one!

Pichlo had a few nice suggestions:

Switching to fewer bits and back clears the top bits. This should not happen. At least not in the signed mode: it should sign-extend when switching from e.g. 8 to 16 bits.
Switching from, say 32-bit to 16-bit is intended to clear the higher bits. This is what would happen if you copied a 32-bit value into a 16-bit variable, for example. I can see why you might want to it work the other way, but I took the decision to do it my way and not to add an option. Of course, making it optional would be the best action.

Sign extending is supposed to work, but you've discovered a bug there! In the version I'm running on Ubuntu, if you uncheck and re-check the "signed" box just before going from 8- to 16-bits or 16- to 32-bits, the sign extending works.

Eg, set to 8 bit mode. set value to zero. toggle bit 8 to 1, giving 128 in decimal display. Check the signed box, giving the value -128. Select 16-bit mode and you will see the Hex value become FF80 and the decimal value stay at -128.

So, a simple bug :-)

[*] The ASCII fields are not necessarily ASCII. By that I mean non-ASCII values are not suppressed. This can be considered a feature of course.
Very true.

[*] It would be nice to have a "Clear" button, although not really necessary as one could just type 0 in the "dec" or "hex" edit box.
The original Windows version had the ESC key used to zero the register, but moving to a desktop Linux distro now means that ESC exits the app. Another bug. But on a handheld device with no obvious ESC key, I can see a clear button being valuable!

[*] It would be nice to have a switch between little and big endian. Probably only useful for the ASCII representation and that can be easily reversed so perhaps not that important.
That's what the "flip" button does. Did I miss something?

Thanks for the feedback, I'll add these change back into the original when I get a chance.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to omnium For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by omnium View Post
I'm the original author of HexTool.
Hello and welcome here!

Sign extending is supposed to work, but you've discovered a bug there!
Glad to be of service

That's what the "flip" button does. Did I miss something?
No, it was I who missed something! Thanks for pointing it out.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Hi all,

I'm the original author of HexTool. I discovered this thread via google searches for HexTool.
Hi and welcome and thank you for the source code. I wanted to write you an email but I was to busy and forget writing to you. I am sorry.

Many thanks for Halftux for making a cool port and for sharing it. Nice one!
Thank you, you are welcome. A nice tool should get also a nice port.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll add these change back into the original when I get a chance.
You can have a look at my source and see what I changed. Any improvements from your side are very welcome and I would be glad to include your changes into a new maemo version.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Halftux For This Useful Post:
If somebody interested here the windows version from hextool.

http://www.filedropper.com/hextool
Attached Images

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Halftux For This Useful Post:

Tags
binary, calculator, conversion, decimal, harmattan, hexadecimal, maemo 5