Notices

Posts: 345 | Thanked: 467 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by caco3 View Post
I am happy to announce that CacheMe4Harmattan is now officially available in the OVI store: http://store.ovi.com/content/219788
Oh, wow ... i tried it and it is indeed much more useful than i expected it to be. Great!

There are two issues with Harmattan which also arise under Symbian and which i therefore had to implement a solution for. Perhaps you want to re-use these:
  • Symbian also has no controls to close full screen windows. To cope with this the customwindow.cpp contains some magic to implement a custom window title with icon and a "back" arrow in the top right corner.
  • Symbian doesn't support finger/touch scrolling by itself. This is implemented in flickcharm.cpp (inspired by but not identical to a similar solution from nokia). Just enable the flickcharm section in the pro file and finger scrolling should be possible in most lists

Also you might consider removing the non-fullscreen mode entirely as it doesn't seem to make much sense on harmattan and the button just eats up screen space.

CacheMe 0.8.12 is out and e.g. addresses the map arrow heading in the main map. It's now bound to the magnetic compass and always points in the right direction.

Last edited by Master of Gizmo; 2011-11-24 at 09:18.

The Following User Says Thank You to Master of Gizmo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 560 | Thanked: 423 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by Master of Gizmo View Post
Oh, wow ... i tried it and it is indeed much more useful than i expected it to be. Great!
Wow, a great feedback from the real master
Thanks a lot

There are two issues with Harmattan which also arise under Symbian and which i therefore had to implement a solution for. Perhaps you want to re-use these:
  • Symbian also has no controls to close full screen windows. To cope with this the customwindow.cpp contains some magic to implement a custom window title with icon and a "back" arrow in the top right corner.
  • Symbian doesn't support finger/touch scrolling by itself. This is implemented in flickcharm.cpp (inspired by but not identical to a similar solution from nokia). Just enable the flickcharm section in the pro file and finger scrolling should be possible in most lists
Thank you for your suggestions. I will have a look into that.

As you might have seen, I am hiding the parent windows when opening another child window. This is to prevent multiple windows shown in the task manager. Sadly I was not able to hide the main window, because after I made it visible again it was just white. It might need an explicit redrawing, but I haven't digged into this yet.
Also, showing a child window and then hiding its parent window seems to need quite some time. Because of that always for a moment no window is shown. I would like to improve this, but haven't figured out yet how.

Also you might consider removing the non-fullscreen mode entirely as it doesn't seem to make much sense on harmattan and the button just eats up screen space.
I thought its useful if you can see the status informations (network connection, GPS status and notifications. Maybe I can hide the menu bar which actually is emtpy and a real space waster.

CacheMe 0.8.12 is out and e.g. addresses the map arrow heading in the main map. It's now bound to the magnetic compass and always points in the right direction.
Ah, now I also understand what Kung Foo actually wanted to say

BTW:
It was quite easy to get it into OVI store. They only criticised that it is not a game but a map application.
CacheMe 4 the N9, a geocaching client / MiniBible, a bible viewer / TheWord brings daily bible verses onto your phone / BatteryGraph to monitor the battery drainage / doublepress2unlock to unlock your phone with a double press onto the power button / GPRS Data Usage to monitor your GPRS data usage /
and more...

On N900 check out this: SleepAnalyser to analyse your sleep movements / PasswordMaker a for a password generator

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Finland
The reason why some ppl have been wondering that the OSM maps look old is that the OSM plugin actually seems to use cloudmade maps instead of OSM.

The OSM plugin currently fetches tiles from:
b.tile.cloudmade.com

It should (since it is OSM plugin after all) fetch the tiles from here:
tile.openstreetmap.org

The reason why this is important is that OSM shows more details. E.g. trails in forest are not properly shown in the cloudmade map. And that really is a big deal for geocaching

I requested Till & Ruinelli to update the plugin.
Lets see what they have to say..

The Following User Says Thank You to Kung Foo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kung Foo View Post
The reason why some ppl have been wondering that the OSM maps look old is that the OSM plugin actually seems to use cloudmade maps instead of OSM.

The OSM plugin currently fetches tiles from:
b.tile.cloudmade.com

It should (since it is OSM plugin after all) fetch the tiles from here:
tile.openstreetmap.org

The reason why this is important is that OSM shows more details. E.g. trails in forest are not properly shown in the cloudmade map. And that really is a big deal for geocaching

I requested Till & Ruinelli to update the plugin.
Lets see what they have to say..
Thank you for your report.
Its fixed in the latest CacheMe4Harmattan version.
For those who want to live on the edge, I now always upload my progress into my repository: http://repo.pub.meego.com/home:/CaCO3/Harmattan/

Changes for 0.8.12-1-Harmattan2:
Code:
cacheme (0.8.12-1-Harmattan2) unstable; urgency=low
  Imported changed from cacheme 0.8.12 (and 0.8.11):
   * Suppress further background processing for qt 4.7.4
   * Show gps precision in nav view
   * Support imperial units for distances
   * Option to disable map screen saver
   * Obfuscate password in conf file
   * Support for QtMobility 1.2.1 map types (not yet working)

Changes:
   * Removed full screen toggle button
   * Windows are now flickable instead showing scroll bars (Thanks to Till Harbaum)
   * Added title bar to windows
   * Added button to log window so you can copy the URL. This way you can use another browser to write a log (the build in browser seems not to be able to handle HTTPS URLs properly).

Known issues:
   * New OVI maps styles are not yet supported
   * GPX files can not be loaded. (This needs a major rewrite of the file open dialog and does not have high priority for me!)
CacheMe 4 the N9, a geocaching client / MiniBible, a bible viewer / TheWord brings daily bible verses onto your phone / BatteryGraph to monitor the battery drainage / doublepress2unlock to unlock your phone with a double press onto the power button / GPRS Data Usage to monitor your GPRS data usage /
and more...

On N900 check out this: SleepAnalyser to analyse your sleep movements / PasswordMaker a for a password generator

Thanks for the new release. Just tried mapping with OSM again and noticed that the caching is still disabled even though it is a must IMHO. Fetching the map tiles every time again and again is a waste of network resources and especially time.

So please just uncomment the following line in "qgeomappingmanagerengine_osm.h":
Code:
// #define USE_NETWORK_CACHE
This really boosts the map loading in N9! There should be gigabytes of memory to use for the maps. If some limit is needed, then lets just code that - right?

Thanks for the new release. Just tried mapping with OSM again and noticed that the caching is still disabled even though it is a must IMHO. Fetching the map tiles every time again and again is a waste of network resources and especially time.

So please just uncomment the following line in "qgeomappingmanagerengine_osm.h":
Code:
// #define USE_NETWORK_CACHE
This really boosts the map loading in N9! There should be gigabytes of memory to use for the maps. If some limit is needed, then lets just code that - right?
As you can see in http://maemo.org/packages/view/cacheme/ , Till explicitly disabled this in version 0.8.10-1:
* Completely disable use of network disk cache
Now, I first would like to know from him, why he did this. I am sure he has a good reason!
and more...

I think (but sure lets check it) he disabled it since when the cache filled up in symbian there was some unexpected results. Some symbian phones do not have much disk space in them. And if/when the temp cache is in C (like the comment in code says) there's really not that much room.

In N9 there should be plenty of room.
I did not check yet though that is there some limit coded to the cache size in the map plugin(s).

I think (but sure lets check it) he disabled it since when the cache filled up in symbian there was some unexpected results. Some symbian phones do not have much disk space in them. And if/when the temp cache is in C (like the comment in code says) there's really not that much room.

In N9 there should be plenty of room.
I did not check yet though that is there some limit coded to the cache size in the map plugin(s).
I also thought that the reason might be a missing garbage collector.
How ever, if you are right about the Symbian issue, why then did he also disable it in the maemo version?
On any other place, he already uses #ifdef Symbian fo things like this!
and more...

I just uploaded another update.

Changes:
Code:
cacheme (0.8.12-1-Harmattan3) unstable; urgency=low

Changes:
   * Updated Finnish translation (Thanks to Marko Vertainen)
   * Use Opera browser if installed
   * Corrected time/date display (use local format)
   * Re-enabled network cache for Google maps and open street maps. Please let me know if you have issues with it.
   * Fixed bug where e Cloudmade maps where used instead of OSM.

Note:
    I installed Opera Mobile from here: http://sandst1.wordpress.com/2011/07/29/operamobile-11-00-for-harmattan/
    I do not know if this also works on a N9!

Known issues:
   * New OVI maps styles are not yet supported
   * GPX files can not be loaded. (This needs a major rewrite of the file open dialog and does not have high priority for me!)
Please let me know if you have any issues
and more...

Last edited by caco3; 2011-11-27 at 23:50.

First, a big "Thank you" for the app.

Secondly, I know there's alot of talking about AGTL, and I used that on my N900 until I found CacheMe. Unless it's been greatly reworked since then, (and the ability to log caches has been added) I see no advantages in it.

I think it's great that you got it published in the store, though I had to uninstall it when I realised that you had a beta in your repo. I don't have the patience to wait for the updates.

Now, two questions.
1. How do I setup your repo in my phone? Tried it, but the phone complained about an illegal char (I guessed it's the : after home that made it.)
2. If I use the Nokia maps, does it use the downloaded maps (since I can download maps for any country I plan to visit) or does it download on the fly? The first would be preferred, but I don't know how Nokia sees on third-party apps using the maps downloaded.

Sorry for my incoherent ramblings, it's early in the morning.

The Following User Says Thank You to Granfot For This Useful Post: