Active Topics

Notices

Infra Arcana is a Roguelike computer role-playing game set in the early 20th century. The goal is to explore the lair of a dreaded cult called The Church of Starry Wisdom. Buried deep beneath their hallowed grounds lies an artifact called The Shining Trapezohedron - a window to all secrets of the universe. Your ultimate goal is to unearth this artifact.

The theme and inspiration for this game comes mainly from the horror fiction writer H.P. Lovecraft. There is a Lore section on this site that describes some of his mythology. It's not a pure H.P.L game though, as it also draws flavor from various B-horror movies, as well as the 1997 first-person shooter Blood.

As a Roguelike - the game adheres to the virtues of the genre, such as high replay value and challenging tactical game play.

Upstream: https://InfraArcana@github.com/InfraArcana/ia.git
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: gz ia.tar.gz (396.8 KB, 196 views)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Heya szopin.

Any idea what's going on here?

Cheers buddy.

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
@Addison,

You're unpacking the .tgz on a VFAT partition, which doesn't support ownership information (which is however included in the .tar.gz archive).

As long as the files are actually there (in your /media/mmc1) you're OK. But if the game includes an executable program then it cannot be stored in the VFAT partition.

In short: use some folder under /opt or /home or /usr/local or such, but not MyDocs or a VFAT partition of your SD card.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Reinob's comment above is spot on. Sadly, this game uses sdl, and it is unlikely to work on N8x0 from a N900 build. Hope Aapo notices it as it is quite interesting/polished RL and he has tons of them on his account

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Yeah, usually I just unzip it onto my memory card and then move all of the files to internal flash.

I've never seen those errors before so thanks for the explanation.

Hello, Martin here, creator of Infra Arcana!

@reinob
"You're unpacking the .tgz on a VFAT partition, which doesn't support ownership information (which is however included in the .tar.gz archive)."

This problem was unknown to me. Could you please explain if there's something that can be done differently when building/packing the game?

@szopin
"Sadly, this game uses sdl"
Actually, I'm looking into changing that for several reasons. Do you have any recommendations for alternatives?

Last edited by NON; 2012-10-05 at 10:57.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NON For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by NON View Post
Hi there!

@reinob
"You're unpacking the .tgz on a VFAT partition, which doesn't support ownership information (which is however included in the .tar.gz archive)."

This problem was unknown to me. Could you please explain if there's something that can be done differently when building/packing the game?
Not really. tar usually saves ownership information from the files when creating the package.

When unpacking as *user*, it normally should not attempt to preserve the original ownership (as it normally doesn't make sense). If *root*, then it tries to do that.

GNU tar has the --no-same-owner (also "-o") option to force tar not to attempt to restore ownership. I don't know if Addison run the command as root or not.

In any case, untar'ing UNIX programs on a partition that doesn't support the UNIX semantics (not only permissions, but also hard/symbolic links, etc.) will always (in general) be a problem.

In short: in general there's nothing you can do on your side to prevent such problems, besides informing the user that the archive should be unpacked in a suitable file system.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
In short: in general there's nothing you can do on your side to prevent such problems, besides informing the user that the archive should be unpacked in a suitable file system.
Okay, thanks!

Originally Posted by NON View Post

@szopin
"Sadly, this game uses sdl"
Actually, I'm looking into changing that for several reasons. Do you have any recommendations for alternatives?
Hi Martin,

Console only option (probably best during compile time, argument option would still require sdl libs to run, but it would at least run from telnet/ssh if hosting machine had them) would be great for compatibility.Your current version should run on N8x0 as long someone compiles it using proper toolchain, I just dropped the binary that was compiled on device. Thanks for great game!

EDIT: oh and forgot to mention, if you're looking at alternatives, OpenGL is an option, but it will make most arm/mobile devices not work with it, unless the code is GLES compliant (subset of opengl) as most mobile devices have only GLES acceleration (ok, you can use software GL, but the speed drop is drastic)

Last edited by szopin; 2012-10-06 at 19:13.

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the info Szopin.

Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Hi Martin,
if you're looking at alternatives, OpenGL is an option, but it will make most arm/mobile devices not work with it, unless the code is GLES compliant (subset of opengl) as most mobile devices have only GLES acceleration (ok, you can use software GL, but the speed drop is drastic)
Do you think it would be a big performance gain to use openGL instead of SDL?

Also, some people seem to use a combination of openGL and SDL, do you know what the point of this is, generally? Use SDL for keyboard input, and openGL for rendering?