Just pre-ordered two 770s (one for me and my husband) but I've got a question.

At work we do have 802.11, however, we're using some type of proprietary Cisco thing. Unfortunately, this means that only specialized cisco cards with the key already on them work with our wireless network. I've asked why but I'm just given an answer of "security". *sigh*

So, while at home I wouldn't have a problem connecting to the net, does anyone know if the unit is capable of using a USB Ethernet device? Is the capability even in the kernel? This way, though I can't really carry it around, I can at least plug it into work and use it sort of like a "third screen" and have it pop up my news, etc. without taking up valuable normal screen realestate.

Mel "of the billion application windows"
(who's very glad she has 4 gigs of ram on her work desktop)

The Following User Says Thank You to melody For This Useful Post:
i have an idea. this might come as a shock to you but, use a computer, use an actual notebook. if youre going to tether yourself to an ethernet cable at work or at home, there is no point in getting a portable internet device that costs as much as a low end computer, wow

Last edited by thenabbster; 2005-11-15 at 23:00.

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Internet_Cafe_W3
Had to add my 2 cents, I bought this device to use on my campus where I am an administrator, This is a valid question and you should have manners! you can do usbhost
http://maemo.org/maemowiki/HOWTO_Set...networking_FC4

yeah nobody would ever want one of these to hard wire in a network rack area, send ICMP, trace route or SSH or remote ever!!!
ohh my bad I forgot I have Wifi everywhere I go????

Originally Posted by thenabbster
i have an idea. this might come as a shock to you but, use a computer, use an actual notebook. if youre going to tether yourself to an ethernet cable at work or at home, there is no point in getting a portable internet device that costs as much as a low end computer, wow
Actually, if I wanted a low-end notebook, I'd use a low-end notebook. Or maybe one of the half dozen higher-end notebooks I have lying around here at home. What I'm looking for is portability at a relatively low price-point.

My currently most used notebook is a little over 8 pounds making it a fairly heavy notebook but it has all kinds of whiz bang features. But it's _heavy_. Considering that I bicycle commute to work, since it's only 1.5 miles away (why waste gas?), the last thing I want to do is lug around an 8 pound notebook... or even a 3 pound ultralite. I've done it. Pain in your shoulders and back suck.

At 8 ounces this unit works well from a portability standpoint. It runs Linux which would also allow me to use such nifty tools as "ssh", "xterm" or *gasp* even "telnet" for emulating HTTP transactions by hand. This all comes in (again) at *8 freaking ounces*.

I sure as hell don't need a full-sized (and thus full-powered) notebook for this. If I wanted that I'd use my notebook or desktop box. In fact, for most locations, I'd have access to a wireless AP that I can associate with. I wouldn't need something cabled. But at work that isn't an option though I guess I could violate corporate policy (and thus risking my 6 figure engineering salary) and place a rogue AP on the network but the thought "That would be very stupid" comes to mind. Even better would be explaining why I was fired from my previous position to a new employer. "Yeah, I was stupid" isn't an acceptable answer.

Not everyone will use this device in the same way. I know that for some, they'll think "toy". Hell, I even think "toy" when it comes to the 770, but I also think "useful" in addition to "toy". If I can use this device as a dumb xterm, hell, I'm going to. Plus, it'll help keep my main screen less cluttered. I already have coworkers wondering how I navigate the 30+ firefox windows (all with multiple tabs) and the 40+ ssh windows. And those are just two of the various apps I use on a constant basis.

Mel who's shocked she didn't think of using a regular notebook.

Originally Posted by ChuckP
[...]you can do usbhost
http://maemo.org/maemowiki/HOWTO_Set...networking_FC4

yeah nobody would ever want one of these to hard wire in a network rack area, send ICMP, trace route or SSH or remote ever!!!
ohh my bad I forgot I have Wifi everywhere I go????
Chuck, thank you. I must have missed that wiki. I went looking at maemo.org for information but didn't see it.

The article you posted specifically talks about setting up a USB network (usbnet). I was wondering if anyone had experience adding a USB network host adapter so I can attach via a standard ethernet cable.

Thanks again though.

Mel

Last edited by melody; 2005-11-15 at 23:37.

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Eugene, Oregon
Originally Posted by melody
If I can use this device as a dumb xterm, hell, I'm going to.
An X terminal is anything but dumb. It's as smart as the network that it's connected to. The graphic capabilities of your 770 are 225 dpi. That's five times the resolution per inch as a 17" LCD at 1280x1024 resolution. It has integral wireless network discovery, bluetooth, and an integral touchscreen. Dumb terminal is the LAST way you would describe the 770.

Originally Posted by Remote User
An X terminal is anything but dumb. It's as smart as the network that it's connected to. The graphic capabilities of your 770 are 225 dpi. That's five times the resolution per inch as a 17" LCD at 1280x1024 resolution. It has integral wireless network discovery, bluetooth, and an integral touchscreen. Dumb terminal is the LAST way you would describe the 770.
I think what I was emphasizing in my post is the fact that the 770 isn't really a dumb toy. From a technological standpoint, it's an excellent device. Most of the post you're quoting is my reaction to someone saying 'use a low-end notebook'.

Mel

Alright, whatever floats your boat, melody, the n770 is a cool device. i plan on using it to get get live streaming tv channels from my tv card on my home desktop and watch TV where ever i have a wifi/hot spot connection. The possibilities are endless. If anyone wants to do this, go to www.orb.com, and check it out.

Last edited by thenabbster; 2005-11-16 at 02:40.

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Hong Kong
I don't know about usb ethernet adapter, but I did succeed setting up a network connection between the 770 and my pc at work using a USB wifi adapter. In the wifi settings, I used Ad hoc mode instead of infrastructure. I also had to assign static ip addresses on both devices.

After installing an http proxy (NTLM Authorization Proxy Server) on the pc I can browse the web from the 770. I didn't try internet connect sharing, but I'm sure it should work too.

Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
Hi,
Why don't you use bluetooth to get a connection from a PC ?
I suppose it wouldn't violate your company's rules and it would give you cableless connectivity ...
Fred