Yusssssh, I've just got my new N800, but... after 3 days of some use, I've had the bad surprise that holding the stylus a certain way made a few scratches already on the screen. There was a pointy edge somewhere on the stylus tip.

Luckily (somewhat) I've kept the original screen protector on the tablet screen. Now, I'm tempted to get a new screen protector. Any easy solution to get myself some new screen protector? Suggestions?

PS: I'm currently typing from the Nokia N800. ;]

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Boxwave ClearTouch Anti-Glare

The factory shipping protector scratches much more easily than the actually screen, though.

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ corpus christi texas
Buy some protectors, you'll thank yourself when you drop it the first time.

Posts: 251 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Houston, Texas
I too have noticed that one side of my stylus tends to offer more resistance and seems to score the display.

I put my stylus under a loupe but couldn't see what was causing it--an internal wire-drawn filament perhaps?

Has anyone xrayed or dissected a stylus yet?

Last edited by rdcinhou; 2008-04-05 at 22:54.

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
Probably not, given how hard it is to find replacements in many countries...

I damaged one of my styli by leaning back and stretching my arm with it in my hand - it rubbed against a rough wall in a hospital waiting room, which scuffed it up at the tip. But it wasn't hard to polish it back nice and smooth again; it's fine now.

As for dissecting one - it's just solid plastic. Nothing fancy! You can use any PDA stylus, or any pointy object if you're careful and it's not too sharp. I often use my old Palm Pilot stylus.

If you hold your stylus at 45 degree angle it will scratch the screen. If you take a close look at the stylus you will notice a sharp angle where the round tip meets the side of the stylus. 8^P

Most stylus tips are fairly soft (to help avoid screen scratches). This means that it's easy for a tiny grit particle to become embedded and cause problems. Any chance that could have happened?

For this reason, if a stylus is ever dropped, it's a good idea to inspect the tip carefully before using it again.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
And in the US, is it still practically impossible to buy a stylus from Nokia? I recently lost one.

Posts: 274 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Helotes, TX
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
And in the US, is it still practically impossible to buy a stylus from Nokia? I recently lost one.
After losing a stylus (well, actually, I know exactly where it is: under the slide track for the passenger seat in my wife's truck. Short of taking the seat out, it's lost.), I went to Frye's and found a combo stylus/black ball point pen which has been great. It's one of those twist to select what you want. The only flaw was the blue enamel came off, but the underlying brass looks ok, too.

So, my remaining stylus stays in the holder on the N800, for looks mostly.

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. " - Jeremy S. Anderson