Will a regular t-mobile or att sim fit in this phone or is it like the iphone with a different size sim that will have to be cut ? If so this is bad cause i will no longer be able to switch phones.

Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
Originally Posted by geohsia View Post
f/2.2 camera is great! Can't wait to see FCam ported onto Harmattan.

Why A-GPS though? Ugh. I tag my photos with GPS and if I get this phone I won't be able to tag photos in countries where I do not have a local SIM card which is sometimes the case. Ugh.

Apparently they're saving the good stuff for the Mango.
A-GPS doesn't mean just GPS wouldn't work. It's just a faster way of getting a lock. GPS should work without data just fine. Takes a while to lock though.
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

The Following User Says Thank You to mece For This Useful Post:
I would be incredibly grateful if someone confirms there will be some way for the N9 to have HDMI, through some kind of accesory or w/ever. Same with USB OTG. (You know, those features the much derided N8 and E7 have...)

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
This will be my next phone. No doubt about that.

I don't quite understand the complaints about the CPU. If everything works smooth why need more power? It'd just drain battery more. Maybe I just don't get it. For me the amount of memory seems more important, and N9 has that covered.

And for the lack of homescreen... Pretty sure some developer who is aching for that feature will create a replacement .

All in all, the UI looks great. It is open source and not locking you in a walled garden. The features and hardware seem good. I'm all in and can't wait to have it.

The Following User Says Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chase15 View Post
1. iPhone 4 gpu PowerVR SGX 535 ---- N9 PowerVR SGX 530
2. iPhone 4 cam 5mp ----- N9 8mp carlzeiss wide angle lens
3. iPhone 4 Screen 3.5 IPS LCD ----- N9 3.9 AMOLED
4. iPhone 4 wifi b/g/n --------- N9 a/b/g/n
5. iPhone 4 NFC = No ------------- N9 Yes
6. iPhone 4 AV = No --------------N9 Yes
7. iPhone 4 Ram 512MB ---------- N9 1GB
You do realize you are comparing a one year old phone to an unreleased Nokia 2011 phone (they say Q3...)?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zlatokosi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mece View Post
A-GPS doesn't mean just GPS wouldn't work. It's just a faster way of getting a lock. GPS should work without data just fine. Takes a while to lock though.
A-GPS usually means cell-tower only. The N900 has GPS and uses A-GPS to get a faster lock.

From the specs the N9 ONLY has A-GPS. If I don't have a local SIM card (which means I can not talk to local towers) I don't know how A-GPS would work.

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
A-GPS usually means cell-tower only. The N900 has GPS and uses A-GPS to get a faster lock.

From the specs the N9 ONLY has A-GPS. If I don't have a local SIM card (which means I can not talk to local towers) I don't know how A-GPS would work.
GPS and navigation
Integrated GPS, A-GPS receivers

The Following User Says Thank You to zymo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!

A-GPS means "Assisted GPS"
GPS with assistance from WiFi or Cell-Towers or GPS-Servers.
A-GPS works as well without data connection (tracking Cell-Towers).
N9 does have a GPS chip (no data connection needed) with assistance as explained before.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kanishou View Post
Some things I can probably say now:

- Yes, this is really more like an open, smarter iPhone than a N900 successor. Take it or leave it. But please don't assume that everyone on this site has the same preferences. There are many people here who value Maemo's openness, the Linux roots, or just it's overall coolness, but still want a phone that simply does the job very well without being specifically targeted towards geeks and hackers. Of course you'll still be able to hack it to your heart's content.

- Why MeeGo? Simple, this phone couldn't have been done with WP7 at this point! That is the strength of MeeGo, being able to do something new and somewhat different like this. Maybe its ideas will be incorporated into WP7 devices in the future (I hope so), but I don't expect that to be a quick process.

Sure, you won't have hundreds of thousands of apps for the N9 anytime soon, but not everyone needs that either. For those who don't, or who can live with a reasonable number of quality apps, the N9 out of the box provides an excellent, unique experience that _no_ other phone can deliver right now. It may also well be the only one of its kind. Ever.

- This phone is not about the specs. Having the fastest CPU is really not all that relevant in the grand scheme of things. With the N9, the star is not the hardware or the software alone, the star is the team. It is little details, which define the overall experience. For example, the fairly large bezel was mentioned a few times. This bezel is completely smooth curved glass, which provides the necessary surface to conveniently swipe from the outside of the screen. Without the swipe gesture, the bezel would just be wasted space, with the swipe gesture it becomes an integral part of the experience. That is one little example of how everything fits together, and you really can't judge the N9 as a sum of its parts.

- The N9 is much higher profile than the N900 ever was in Nokia, and even the N900 wasn't that horrible to live with overall now, was it? You can be certain that the N9 will receive more attention (both from Nokia, and the developer community), whether there will ever be a successor or not. If that is good enough for you or you'd rather put up with a lesser device with plenty of apps, that is up to you.
Thanks for this. As I wrote elsewhere, I don't care about sheepleware (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, etc), or ecosystems (in fact, I don't want to be dragged into one), so a standalone device with a capable browser, powerful multi-tasking and flle system access works for me.

Now, about that HDMI...

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
The UI seems very nice, but it’s a real pity the n9 doesn’t support usb host mode.

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland