Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Just repeating .. I'd like to ask one question: How would you guys like the community to look around Jolla SW/HW etc?
Like the Maemo community ?

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
This is interesting news, but even more is the coming discussion of the what this real means in the real world. What will this little project cost, what could we expect or even better what's Not expect.. Some people seems like they are up in the air great news indeed. But what is this really?

Noone here knows. Please take a step back and look the facts /news presented again please.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2012-07-08 at 17:14.

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Just repeating .. I'd like to ask one question: How would you guys like the community to look around Jolla SW/HW etc?
The community would have to be built on good, clear lines of communication between it and the company.* There will always be decisions that will displease some people, but as long as the reasoning is clear and fair, most will accept them.

There will no doubt be closed bits in the platform. One way of keeping people aboard over several device launches would be to allow a trusted group of community developers working under NDAs to update those closed bits so that legacy devices aren't left with a load of WONTFIXes, or FIXED IN $NEXT RELEASEs.

*[Maybe you could poach qgil for the community liaison role - but please wait until maemo.org has at least managed to secure what it needs to complete it's transition].

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
This^ Some solid ideas.

Originally Posted by youmeego View Post
please clarify
the comapny is called jolla
the operating system it developes is called jolla mobile?
No, they have not said that's necessarily what the OS will be called.
I just hope they dont continue to call it MeeGo, ugh, please dear God no.

Originally Posted by Zoxir View Post
If they have hardware parteners why would they ask for donations? I\d buy their product if I could but I wouldn't donate with just the promise of a meego device.
They've confirmed several times they have financial and hw partners.
They won't go into any more detail than that at THIS stage.

Originally Posted by tissot View Post
<SNIP>They will have product out this year and will inform more in coming weeks, that's about it for now.
Are you sure they've said conclusively that they're aiming for a product on-shelves this yr?
I followed their feed very closely for quite some time, & saw nothing to fully validate that.

Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Like the Maemo community ?
Agreed, just pick the best/most_suitable elements from the Maemo5/6/MeeGo community.*
I guess that should be outlined in much more detail & picked over, then we can give the answers you're seeking.

*i.e. the bits that have proven to work (mostly) well

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-07-08 at 18:52.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
My take: http://post404.com/2012/07/jolla-mob...sinking-meego/

Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Some updates:

Python & PySide support
I asked about Python support on the Jolla IRC channel. It seems that as long it works on Mer, it should be no issue. There are actually already quite a few buildable PySide RPM Mer packages on COBS.
Is PySide working with Qt5? I suspect that those packages works with Qt 4.8...

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Great points jalyst. Nothing is confirmed. Wait for confirmations guys. Almost no facts or information is available. Neither is there any clear information chanals yet. still a lots of people claiming lots of stuff as truth.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2012-07-08 at 18:57.

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by dumpystig View Post
BTW, I'm feeling really good following this thread - makes a welcome change from all the cr@p that's been floating round TMO these past few weeks.

Happy days
Jolla and this thread brought me back to TMO after a long period of not bothering anymore. I am exited and hope Jolla will deliver.

isto

On the software side and I don't want this to sound like an app request, there is a project called Tizmee by the user Elleo who is currently working on adding the TIZEN APIs to meego harmattan. The project is still in its early stages but is seeing some early success running TIZEN apps on the n9.

Would something like his work be of interest to the Jolla team?

Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
One thing that I think is important to get right from the start is to have a centralised home for community activity. Right now with Harmattan we have multiple forums and wikis spread across maemo.org, meego.com, and developer.nokia.com. I've noticed that the maemo.org wiki doesn't get as many contributions as it did pre-Harmattan days and I think fragmentation could be one of the reasons for that.

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla