Depends on how it hits the floor. Glass doesn't have the same strength in all directions. If the impact happens to knock on a weak spot at a certain angle it will shatter. If your phone had hit the floor face down it would probably be alright.

Originally Posted by UnlimiteD3k View Post
why would anybody suggest that I intentionally dropped it?! Ofcourse it was an accident

its worth noting that it had worst falls n survived! Dunno how this happened.

still works fine though, even the ambient sensor is ok.
will take it for repair soon, crossing fingers for a slim repair bill
I think they may be referring to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAYL5H46QnQ

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Apple has never used Gorilla Glass.
Not accurate. They initially did but moved on to their own.

My N900 was dropped so many times without issues. These things are getting more delicate.

The Following User Says Thank You to lancewex For This Useful Post:
You might have been protected if you used the rubber case that ships with the phone. Without the rubber case, the Gorilla glass has a slight exposed edge all around, something hitting that small edge would probably cause damage. With the rubber case on, this edge has some protection.

Originally Posted by UCOMM View Post
gg protects against scratches and nothing else
It doesn't protect against scratches either, at all.
On the contrary in my experience.

I have my n900 for almost 2 years, all it's got is a bunch of superficial scratches that are not really noticable when using it.
It's seen the floor multiple times.

Had my n9 for 1 week when i noticed 2 deep small scratches that alternatingly reflect pink/light blue light when screen is light coloured.
So often very noticable when using it.
And that was while being very careful with my new device, i actually paid attention not to touch it with anything hard so where the f*** do these scratches come from?

Glass screens feel good to the touch, but that is about all good that can be said of them.
They scratch, they crack, are not covered by warranty most of the time and they are only good for imprecise input methods.

Why do all manufacturers insist on using them? aaaarg!

Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
The positive side on this that you have at least the ability taking pictures of "cosmetic flaws" just in a right way _and_ upload them being visible to all readers.
(not like a certain "ominous white N9 thread" poster)

hahah

The Following User Says Thank You to asadkhan1988 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
What's your plan now? Fix it up or destroy it completely?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Looks like it needs a new screen, which I've read should be about 1/3 of the price of the phone.

My phone fell twice from about 50 cm height, both times there was no damage. I think the rubber case saved it.

Now if only there was a way to keep the touch screen clean.

Originally Posted by SaiKo View Post
It doesn't protect against scratches either, at all.
On the contrary in my experience.

I have my n900 for almost 2 years, all it's got is a bunch of superficial scratches that are not really noticable when using it.
It's seen the floor multiple times.

Had my n9 for 1 week when i noticed 2 deep small scratches that alternatingly reflect pink/light blue light when screen is light coloured....

Can't agree with above. N900 and 5800 on my use had tons of hairline scratches in certain spots and they where even visible when the screen was on.
While my GS, iPhone 4, Ipad 2, N9, Lumia 800, ipod touch, etc all have been safe with just couple of hairline scratches, not visible without the right angel of light.

Btw stumbled to wiki for Gorilla glass history. iPhone actually had the original gorilla glass.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorilla_Glass

The Following User Says Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 245 | Thanked: 186 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Toronto-Canada

Originally Posted by ZackMorris View Post
For the love of God! Always use a case! I figured hey what could happen without a case when I'm charging the phone overnight? Well it took a 3ft fall onto a tile floor directly on the corner. The case would've protected it. Better safe than sorry, take it from me, it is so painful to have this happen. Luckily I just dropped it off for repairs, it is about 270 dollars to have it fixed, not so lucky...

The Following User Says Thank You to qorax For This Useful Post: