Retailers almost never have best selling account for more than a week (max 2). It usually is a week, or several days. Either way, it's been promoted on the landing page for smartphones for the last ~2 weeks and hasn't cracked the top 100 at its exclusive distributor in India.

Jolla did nothing to promote this phone in India.
Now with this strategy how they can succeed ?
This is propaganda era and on this from even simple TV or Print advt not issued,
Only a fraction of tech enthusiasts know about this phones launch.
Bad marketing i must say.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
I am disappointed that the Jolla is faring poorly in India, but I suppose I shouldn't be all that surprised.

For just a little bit more over the price as a Jolla, you can have an iPhone 4s.

For a little bit less, you can get a Moto G 2014 edition.

How can Jolla compete with that?

I think Jolla are at a crossroads. By themselves, I think that they just can't make a device that has enough spec or is cheap enough to compete. If you accept that, then the logical choice is to partner with a hardware company. If you do that though, then Jolla need to licence their OS. With Microsoft and Google both giving their OS's away, what company is going to be interested in that?

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
I am disappointed that rational thinking is fairing poorly on TMO, but I suppose I shouldn't be all that surprised.

Really, FFS, Jolla have to price it to make a profit. It's their only product. It funds future development.

They can't afford to discount it like a huge company like Apple do with the 4s or Moto with the G to attract cheap skates and hopefully convert those cheap skates up to better models.

They can't compete on price.

They have to compete on design, functionality, openness, privacy, uniqueness and just being better. They CAN do that.

I wish people would stop whinging about the price. If price is important to you then you're in the wrong place.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Apple discount their products? That's a good joke They always have the highest difference between bill of materials and retail cost. Though I do agree with the premise that Jolla need to make a profit and price accordingly.

Anyway, it's not about price. Unless they practically give the phone away, the current Jolla phone isn't going to be a success - India or anywhere else. The phone looks like a legacy product, has poor or average spec for a device of any price, and some very basic googling will inform prospective buyers that it's not exactly manufactured to the highest quality.

The bottom line is, in order to sell devices they need more attractive hardware. Until that happens, sales can't be expected.

I think the fact that it's been promoted on the mobile front page of Snapdeal for 2 weeks now and hasn't cracked the top 100 is testament to that, not the OS or price.

The Following User Says Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
Apple discount their products? That's a good joke They always have the highest difference between bill of materials and retail cost. Though I do agree with the premise that Jolla need to make a profit and price accordingly.
Regardless of their high margins, which are a good thing if you can do it, they are offering the previous model at less than what it cost before. That is a discount.

Anyway, it's not about price. Unless they practically give the phone away, the current Jolla phone isn't going to be a success - India or anywhere else. The phone looks like a legacy product, has poor or average spec for a device of any price, and some very basic googling will inform prospective buyers that it's not exactly manufactured to the highest quality.
If you google any product you'll find people complaining about the quality of it. And it's hard to argue that the Moto G isn't also a legacy product when it's running a CPU older than the Jolla and doesn't even do 4G.

The bottom line is, in order to sell devices they need more attractive hardware. Until that happens, sales can't be expected.
People are indeed stupid so there is some merit in pandering to the stupid. The stupid will look at raw specs without knowing anything about computing. eg. quad cores are faster than dual cores or one OS needs the same resources another does or 6" is better than 4.5".

IMHO the hardware is irrelevant. The selling point for Jolla is the OS and Jolla themselves.

I think the fact that it's been promoted on the mobile front page of Snapdeal for 2 weeks now and hasn't cracked the top 100 is testament to that, not the OS or price.
I've no idea how Snapdeal run their ecommerce platform but having ran a number of company's systems we used to game the stats for best sellers all the time and quite often they're entirely manually created lists. I wouldn't say anything in ecommerce is a 'testament' to anything.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
The phone looks like a legacy product, has poor or average spec for a device of any price, and some very basic googling will inform prospective buyers that it's not exactly manufactured to the highest quality.
Sounds like you're talking about iPhone. :P

Nevertheless Apple manages to make a lot of money with it because they know how to put the specs irrelevant to buyers by not mentioning them, and instead focus on the software features that makes people drool over high-priced sub-mediocre hardware.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Regardless of their high margins, which are a good thing if you can do it, they are offering the previous model at less than what it cost before. That is a discount.

If you google any product you'll find people complaining about the quality of it. And it's hard to argue that the Moto G isn't also a legacy product when it's running a CPU older than the Jolla and doesn't even do 4G.

People are indeed stupid so there is some merit in pandering to the stupid. The stupid will look at raw specs without knowing anything about computing. eg. quad cores are faster than dual cores or one OS needs the same resources another does or 6" is better than 4.5".

IMHO the hardware is irrelevant. The selling point for Jolla is the OS and Jolla themselves.

I've no idea how Snapdeal run their ecommerce platform but having ran a number of company's systems we used to game the stats for best sellers all the time and quite often they're entirely manually created lists. I wouldn't say anything in ecommerce is a 'testament' to anything.
* So like Jolla are offering their phone at a 'discount' in the Indian market, or how it is running at a 'discount' relative to its launch price in Europe? I don't see what your point is.

* Sure, but it feels and looks painfully cheap and out-dated. The battery fit issues that plague the phone are fairly unprecedented, in my experience. As for the Motorola G, it's always been priced at and marketed as a budget phone, something the Jolla hasn't.

* Then I guess everyone is stupid but you? Since this board should represent the Jolla's core market as you see it, a good proportion of people are neither very pleased with the hardware, or its sole selling points (as you see it) - Sailfish & Jolla themselves. You and others are burying their heads in the sand. Jolla have frequently stated that they hope to become the third largest player in the industry (totally unrealistic as things currently stand), and have clear ambitions. The loudest voices in the community shouting that low quality or hobby level specs / quality of manufacture are the best thing ever, and anything else is stupid, is hardly very productive. People simply don't want to pay for devices that look bad, feel bad, are low specced, and uncompetitively priced on top of all of this, when they're already being asked to overlook the early state of the OS and lack of features and bugginess. I know several active Linux enthusiasts who use it exclusively on PCs, develop Qt applications and who also laughed at what they thought was a "ghastly looking" phone, and on closer examination / playing with it labelled it a hobby device ... which it pretty much is at this stage.

* They differentiate 'popular' and 'best selling'. As with most sites who do that, the former is most likely gamed rather than just relying on page hits. Given that there is that separation, I doubt they alter the best selling.

Last edited by bluefoot; 2014-10-03 at 18:47.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
* So like Jolla are offering their phone at a 'discount' in the Indian market, or how it is running at a 'discount' relative to its launch price in Europe? I don't see what your point is.
There has been talk about that in previous posts in this thread. I do not understand what you are talking about?
Consumer price has to be subjected to the general costs of each country, this is true whether you are selling hamburgers or DVD players, huh??
Also, there's no knowledge whether Snapdeal is carrying part of the cost of the device.

* Sure, but it feels and looks painfully cheap and out-dated. The battery fit issues that plague the phone are fairly unprecedented, in my experience. As for the Motorola G, it's always been priced at and marketed as a budget phone, something the Jolla hasn't.
Have you actually ever held the device in your hand when you are loading out such b******t ?
I have had the device for almost a year in everyday use, and it is nothing like that...
As for "battery problems", there are load of that kind of thing on Lumias, for example, which are truly cheaply made.
I have had none of those on my Jolla device, sorry

* Then I guess everyone is stupid but you? Since this board should represent the Jolla's core market as you see it, a good proportion of people are neither very pleased with the hardware, or its sole selling points (as you see it) - Sailfish & Jolla themselves.
You are wrong, most of the people are very satisfied with their device.

You and others are burying their heads in the sand. Jolla have frequently stated that they hope to become the third largest player in the industry (totally unrealistic as things currently stand), and have clear ambitions. The loudest voices in the community shouting that low quality or hobby level specs / quality of manufacture are the best thing ever, and anything else is stupid, is hardly very productive. People simply don't want to pay for devices that look bad, feel bad, are low specced, and uncompetitively priced on top of all of this, when they're already being asked to overlook the early state of the OS and lack of features and bugginess.
You must be living in a really strange place, if you think like that?

I know several active Linux enthusiasts who use it exclusively on PCs, develop Qt applications and who also laughed at what they thought was a "ghastly looking" phone, and on closer examination / playing with it labelled it a hobby device ... which it pretty much is at this stage.
hmm, I dont
Must be my circle of people are somehow different

* They differentiate 'popular' and 'best selling'. As with most sites who do that, the former is most likely gamed rather than just relying on page hits. Given that there is that separation, I doubt they alter the best selling.
No comment there.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
The loudest voices in the community shouting that low quality or hobby level specs / quality of manufacture are the best thing ever, and anything else is stupid, is hardly very productive.
There are several psychological reasons why this is happening, amongst which is cognitive dissonance.

The Following User Says Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post: