Active Topics

Hi,
I'm wondering if easy debian is emulated to run on N900 or if it's native?

I'm asking this to work out some things.
One: Speed - Mine has a big lag and 1-2second delay in gimp.
BUT! It could be that it's installed to an SD? (Class 2)

Thank you all. I like learning all these new things!!

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Native
(but compiled for armv4, still, native).

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 204 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Norway
technically its native,
but from a end user perspective its used as you would use an emulator (okay a well integrated one like parallels dektop)
from a performance viewpoint its somewhere in between.

the technical term is chrooting (did i spell that right?), and running an x server inside a window.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Siggen For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Easy Debian is not emulated. It is a virtual environment, rather than a virtual machine. An entire Linux filesystem is inside that image file you downloaded, and the Debian apps use the files from there, not from Maemo.

You can run Debian apps without the second X-Server, making the whole experience much more "Native", but the UI of most of the apps is so unsuitable for Fremantle that we rarely do it that way. Gimp is a good example of an app that works much better in LXDE (with the canvas on desktop 2 and the toolbox and menus on desktop 1) than in Maemo 5.

Gimp isn't so great on the N900 for drawing; it has a noticeable delay after finishing drawing a stroke before you can draw another stroke. But it is fine for photo manipulation and touch-up.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Sorry for asking this here, but Qole, have you tried installing Ubuntu Netbook Edition's desktop inside Easy Debian?

Excellent!
Thank you (all).

I think I'll keep it installed to my SD card then.
It's a GREAT program to use.
I am still customising it. I'm trying to work out how to change the start menu button again. I changed it once, and can't remember what I clicked (program/appearance) to change it?
I have a Gnome foot I want to use for lxdeMenu.

Does anyone how what is used to pick the lxdemenu icon?

Posts: 305 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ 'Nam
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Easy Debian is not emulated. It is a virtual environment, rather than a virtual machine. An entire Linux filesystem is inside that image file you downloaded, and the Debian apps use the files from there, not from Maemo.

You can run Debian apps without the second X-Server, making the whole experience much more "Native", but the UI of most of the apps is so unsuitable for Fremantle that we rarely do it that way. Gimp is a good example of an app that works much better in LXDE (with the canvas on desktop 2 and the toolbox and menus on desktop 1) than in Maemo 5.

Gimp isn't so great on the N900 for drawing; it has a noticeable delay after finishing drawing a stroke before you can draw another stroke. But it is fine for photo manipulation and touch-up.
Question is it best to put ED on a storage card or the 32gb memory that comes with the phone? Always wanted to know before I download it which I will be after We get the pr 1.2

Originally Posted by Hotshot View Post
Question is it best to put ED on a storage card or the 32gb memory that comes with the phone? Always wanted to know before I download it which I will be after We get the pr 1.2
Well the internal 32gb memory is faster than any reasonably priced SD cards (or even the card reader?), if you can afford loosing the space internally go ahead, if not it works great on from my SD card

The Following User Says Thank You to Siggen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 305 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ 'Nam
Originally Posted by Siggen View Post
Well the internal 32gb memory is faster than any reasonably priced SD cards (or even the card reader?), if you can afford loosing the space internally go ahead, if not it works great on from my SD card
I have like 19gb left on my phone

I'm using a Class2 sandisk and it's good. Only lag is gimp drawing.

Could someone maybe help me with how to change the startmenu/lxdemenu icon?
I used a program or apperance menu but dont remember how.. It's killing me!!
Looking great so far (my custonisation), but the icon is lacking. I have a great one, but cant change it again.. Bad memory