Can a USB compact modem be used from a Nokia N810 for internet access where no wi-fi or cell phone service is available??

This question seems to boggle the minds at Nokia, but I do travel a lot and there are lots of places without wi-fi or cell phone access, but those darned wireline phones still exist!!

Any ideas??

Yes and no. Yes it can technically work, but no, we dont have drivers for it....yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to steelmaverick For This Useful Post:
I run a bluetooth dail up modem with my N810 that I purchased on Ebay. This little device gives a good 50 foot range that is perfect for checking sites, email and whatnot. Not wifi but better than nothing.

The Following User Says Thank You to mdanehart For This Useful Post:
I'm not at all sure we don't have drivers... I have no such modem, or I'd play with it, but there's a lot of .kos around. Certainly a USB-RS232 or BT-RS232 and an old-school external modem would do nicely...

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=Jeffgrado;188735]http://www.amazon.com/Always-Wireles.../dp/B0006ZTERE

This works well via wifi[Looks like a good idea, but they don't seem to be available anymore. I did find a company - ENR - that makes pocket modems that is coming out with a cigarette pack sized BT modem with a built in rechargeable battery. Looks promising for those of us who travel and can't always find our way to non-wireline access ]

Most USB modem works well via Wifi, these 3G USB modems are as small as possible for traveling.

recently HUAWEI E586 available on market, become tha mobile hotspot, it is the hottest after E583c, is there anybody using this? ask for help to unlocked my Three E586, tks.

Posts: 154 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by mdanehart View Post
I run a bluetooth dail up modem.
That sounds like the Zoom 4300 BT modem, which is still available on Amazon at
http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-Wireless-...5293952&sr=8-7

Amazon's title just calls it a fax modem, but if you read further down the page you can see that it works for dial-up internet as well. That listing has used items only.

Unused ones can be bought at a much higher price under a different Amazon listing:
http://www.amazon.com/Analog-Modem-B...p_ob_e_title_1

Like mdanehart, I bought mine on eBay. I don't find any on offer there today.

EDIT, 2012-01-01:
Sorry, I didn't notice that I was replying to a post more than three years old. The thread came up on the first page of the N810 forum, so I just assumed it was an active topic. It seems that someone revived it for reasons unconnected with the earlier posts in the thread.

Last edited by scaler; 2012-01-01 at 19:32. Reason: Apology for answering to an ancient post.

I am using a vodafone K4605 usb modem now, it supports 42.2Mbps HSDPA and HSUPA 11Mbps speed, it's still good useing.