Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Ok, I made a quick .deb that includes my script and adds a line for the script at the bottom of your ~/.maemo-menu

It depends upon switch-lxde and battery-status.

It is also in my repository along with the dependencies.

lxde-batt-0.1.1-1_armel.deb

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Behind a mask or not, you have just created the ugliest dialog box I have ever seen. And I've created my share. Maybe we could have a contest. Is that a cursor in the upper left corner?

You made me proud this mornig.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hi daperl. That dialogue box is made with gxmessage. It is like Zenity lite; you pass it some parameters and it makes a very basic dialogue box. So I have very little control over how the thing looks. The most important thing is, I would guess, that it works.

I could sure use a hand from a developer; could someone write me a little daemon that checks a specified directory, and if it finds a text file in there with "#eof" as the last line, it will treat the file like a shell script and run the script, then delete the file? The #eof requirement is there so that the daemon doesn't try to run a script that is in the middle of being made by another process.

This little daemon would allow me to make icons in the chroot that can run apps outside the chroot, getting rid of the ugly little menu completely.

Oh and hey, daperl, your avatar is uglier than my dialogue box.

Oh and hey, daperl, your avatar is uglier than my dialogue box.
That's why I chose it. The ugly is at the bottom.

EDIT: Here, so you don't have to scroll

Last edited by daperl; 2009-03-27 at 22:45.

Now, see, if one could actually discern that your avatar is supposed to be that picture, it wouldn't be so bad. But all the beauty is "lost in compression."

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Now, see, if one could actually discern that your avatar is supposed to be that picture, it wouldn't be so bad. But all the beauty is "lost in compression."
Yes, because of its poor "translation," my current avatar is really only meant for me and others that might have seen the original. Just a little reminder.

Your dialog box, on the other hand... Well, I'll just say its beauty was "lost in conception," and if something like that were to come up in the middle of my computing, I might just sh*t myself. Let's take another look, shall we?

I'm sorry, I can't seem to help it. I think that cursor is staring at me. It's art. But maybe when the battery gets down below 15% you could change the button name to "Not OK."

Here's a quote I found which I think is from gxmessage's proud author: "You might like it if you're running a mostly GTK desktop." Gee, I hope I can get an "X"-free version in Fremantle.

Okay. I think I'm done now.

Originally Posted by daperl View Post
I think that cursor is staring at me.
It is. I had no idea you were such a master of hyperbole. That was magnificent.

Seriously, though, if you wrote a GUI front-end for battery-status, you would probably be blessed by people running all kinds of non-maemo desktops. There's just nothing out there. At all.

Last edited by qole; 2009-03-28 at 02:33.

Seriously, though, if you wrote a GUI front-end for battery-status, you would probably be blessed by people running all kinds of non-maemo desktops. There's just nothing out there. At all.
I'm kind of "all-Python, all-the-time" these days. So, if you download the attachment and do the following:

chmod 755 qole.txt
./qole.txt

And if you see a new icon in the system/status tray of whatever environment you're in, I would say you have a good and easy chance of being successful. Changing the GtkStatusIcon could then be changed based on events of your choosing. This works for me in Diablo and KDE-based Kubuntu and I'm doing everything in PyGTK. So, I guess I'm saying this kind of stuff might be linux portable. And of course you could bring up windows/dialogs/menus by clicking on it.
Attached Files
File Type: txt qole.txt (611 Bytes, 136 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Okay, you drew me in a little bit. After downloading the attachment do the following:

tar xf qole.tar
./qole.py

Then watch as your battery drains away. This might be a mild copyright no-no, so...
Attached Files
File Type: tar qole.tar (30.0 KB, 126 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Bah, wouldn't you know it, LXDE (at least the one in Easy Debian, I haven't tried Ubuntu yet) has something called "System Tray (Old KDE/Gnome Tray)" but it doesn't show anything, even when your applet is running. Looks good in Maemo, though!

Experiments are ongoing...

Tags
chroot, debian, easy debian, lxde, replacement