Active Topics

I was wondering if anyone on the forums with V-Moda Headphones or similiar headphone owners could help me.

I just recently got the M80's and they come with 2 audio cables;

1 for Apple with 3 button speak control

and one for android.

When I plug the apple one there is no sound coming from my n9

And when I plug the android one , the music keeps skipping to the next one.

They play fine on my pc.

Any help would be much appreciated.

thank you!

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
The "Android" cable is probably wired for the (now) more common "Apple" (CTIA) headphone jack layout.

The N9 (and N900, this was a known issue even back then) use the OMTP layout.

You'd want to get a small 1/8 3-contact male phono to 1/8 3-contact female phono cable and connect that between the N9 and the headphone cable.

You'll lose headset control, which sucks, but that's just how it is (unless you want to build your own cable)

Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
The "Android" cable is probably wired for the (now) more common "Apple" (CTIA) headphone jack layout.

The N9 (and N900, this was a known issue even back then) use the OMTP layout.

You'd want to get a small 1/8 3-contact male phono to 1/8 3-contact female phono cable and connect that between the N9 and the headphone cable.

You'll lose headset control, which sucks, but that's just how it is (unless you want to build your own cable)
man this sucks.Should I just buy a completely new audio cable?

The headphone's cable is detachable

What's interesting is I get audio from the android cable, but it seems to keep skipping to the next song , when I plug it in.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
You could make your own I guess,
From another forum, there is this description of the issue.

The standard 3.5mm headphones (no in-line controls on the cable) use the configuration of (from left to right)
TRS- Tip, Ring, Sleeve. The pinout for these connections is: Left Audio, Right Audio, Ground.

Connection types for headphones with a mic (and newer ones with volume control) are configured in
TRRS- Tip, Ring, Ring, Sleeve.

On TRRS there are 2 types-
1. The original TRRS configuration was created by Nokia and has a pinout of Left Audio, Right Audio, Mic, Ground.

Apple came along and in typical elitist fashion changed their pinout to Left Audio, Right Audio, Ground, Mic.

This is why many apple headsets will not work with android, because the last 2 connections, for Mic and Ground are switched. The issue is with the hardware.

The way that songs are skipped (forwards, backwards, and pause) occurs by sending signals down the ground channel (when you tap the button it shoots an electrical signal that the phone will pick up and interpret).
The way that volume is increased/decreased occurs by sending signals down the Mic channel.
This is why- if you try a set of newer iPhone earbuds on the GSIII- as I have- the center button does nothing, but yet the volume up and volume down both pause tracks, and allow you to skip them!!

Additionally, Apple has patents on their TRRS connection- in fact on the resistances (the actual ohm resistance in-line on the controls- not to get scientific or anything ) so that the headphones are designed to work only with Apple products. In other words- you could have a device with the same TRRS Pinout as apple products- but the headset wont work because the resistances (ohms) of the headphones send signals that your phone is not allowed to interpret into the correct actions (since apple patented these)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
Additionally, Apple has patents on their TRRS connection- in fact on the resistances (the actual ohm resistance in-line on the controls- not to get scientific or anything ) so that the headphones are designed to work only with Apple products. In other words- you could have a device with the same TRRS Pinout as apple products- but the headset wont work because the resistances (ohms) of the headphones send signals that your phone is not allowed to interpret into the correct actions (since apple patented these)
Can you actually do that? Patent some resistor values? I thought patents were about new, groundbreaking ideas, to protect the inventors. Not about trifles like a shape, colour or ohmic value. What has the world come to?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by denizg View Post
man this sucks.Should I just buy a completely new audio cable?

The headphone's cable is detachable
Yep, if you can get a nice, fat, well-shielded cable to reduce impedance losses (the N9's amplifier is pretty weak), that would be good. The adapter I described would work, but with some (negligible?) loss in audio quality.

Hey guys,

Just a quick update. I apperciate all the feedback and I actually learned a lot.

Having said that , V-Moda has decided to send me a audio cable compatible with my phone for free! Great customer service.

The Following User Says Thank You to denizg For This Useful Post: