Posts: 258 | Thanked: 176 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Paris France
Yes, this text from Engadget was about MID, not our NIT !

Originally Posted by mullf View Post
The 770 was only $360.
I think the article meant more of a netbook than laptop. Some manufacturers refuse to call smaller laptops netbooks and vice versa. Leading to a confusing situation.

Indeed netbook prices are similar to tablets/MIDs but the latter offers a significant advantage, being able to actually use it without opening up the screen and carrying it around easier.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
I don't want a netbook. I want a umpc/mid with good specs and priced.

Originally Posted by FRZ View Post
I don't want a netbook. I want a umpc/mid with good specs and priced.
I, too, do not want a netbook. How about a hi-res 10" flat, light tablet with WiFi, BT and a stand. Then you can use the BT keyboard of your choice, or a wireless USB solution like my Logitech. Ya know, like the n800.

If the division is between pocketable and not pocketable, then that would leave me with 3 gadgets: what I described above, an n800/iPod touch thing, and a cheap cell phone. x86 and MS free.

Originally Posted by daperl View Post
I, too, do not want a netbook. How about a hi-res 10" flat, light tablet with WiFi, BT and a stand. Then you can use the BT keyboard of your choice, or a wireless USB solution like my Logitech. Ya know, like the n800.

If the division is between pocketable and not pocketable, then that would leave me with 3 gadgets: what I described above, an n800/iPod touch thing, and a cheap cell phone. x86 and MS free.
That's pretty much what I run. Some generic cheap cell phone (came free with the plan), n800, and my laptop (well and desktop but that's not as portable and I'm thinking about turning it into a server).

The n800 can be swapped out with any dedicated device as necessary (camera for good photos, DS/PSP for gaming, etc..).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
Well, it could still be a CG rendering... How do you know it's not.
A Conversation Between Two Penguins:

First Penguin: You look like you're wearing a tuxedo.
Second Penguin: How do you know I'm not?

(old joke, not mine)

[QUOTE=daperl;294063How about a hi-res 10" flat, light tablet with WiFi, BT and a stand. Then you can use the BT keyboard of your choice, or a wireless USB solution like my Logitech. [/QUOTE]

Something like this ? I wonder when this comes out, how many people would want this as their Tablets ?

Yes, except with an operating system more to my liking. And the stand needs to be kick a*s.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
How about a hi-res 10" flat, light tablet with WiFi, BT
you mean like Siemen's Stylistic tablets?
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=stylistic+siemens

very old ones came with WinCE, later ones with x86 windows.

or how about the Sony U50?
http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPF-VGN-U50

the further depart from the physical traditional design of a notebook/laptop with a 13 to 16" screen and standard-sized keyboard, the more of a niche product it becomes. as soon as you leave the standard Windows OS install, you put yourself in a niche product. sometimes you can overcome the "it's not windows" consumer resistance by the device being an appliance or special device (how many people know or care that the TomTom GO sat navs run linux?).

Where I work, where we develop mobile internet product and we are all very geeky, everyone has at least *one* mobile phone, there are Nokias, S-Ericssons, iPhones and a G-Phones; many people have a data plan. The iPhone dominates. There were two blackberries, now only one as one defected to iPhone.

Most of us have laptops for work, only one guy opted for a convertible tablet. There are only two of us with Nokia tablets, and noone has a "slate" computer like the Stylistic or U50. I also have a Zaurus (well, actually several), and two tablets. Although many have expressed interest in my tablet and zaurus, very few have even expressed sufficient curiosity to find out how they could go about buying one.

I met a senior manager at Nokia a week ago in the mobile phone service division, and he'd never even seen a tablet.

I'm hoping that the n900 with 3G and hopefully upgrade path to LTE will be somewhat more successful. OTOH, since only enthusiasts own them I don't have to worry about random people, relatives and friends of friends, ringing me up to get technical support with their broken computer!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to speculatrix For This Useful Post: