Posts: 491 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Pordenone IT
hello!
i wanted to learn how to develop apps, mainly for sailfishos, but i never did this before...
where i can start from?
is there a sort of list with all layouts and functions needed?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lorenzo For This Useful Post:
check out some helloworld pro in the warehouse. i learned how to do stuff from existing apps since awesome people put on the source on github

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin
want to lern too, but hard to find a good tutorial in german lang. Nice will be a tutorial for sailfish os

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
How are your general programming skills? Are you familar with any programming languages, algorithms, data structures, that kind of thing? If not, then you really need to start from the basics. Otherwise it is just a matter of understanding the UI design. Qt is great since it is easy to acquire and portable, so you can write basic programs to work on the PC with minimal to no work needed to make them work on a mobile device.

If you are past that and are only looking for some tools, have a look at this thread.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
you would like to do some Qt + QML stuff on your desktop before to understand basics. and programming is mostly trial and error, so you just reading other application sources, reading articles, and trying to compile with some modifications. and with some experience you will be able to create apps from scratch.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
programming is mostly trial and error
If this is how you do programming then you are doing it wrong

(EDIT: I think I know what you mean. Discovering things, learning how things work etc. Especially with little or no documentation. But the programming process itself is deterministic.)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 491 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Pordenone IT
i need to start form zero: i just made something about algorithms at university (matlab) but nothing else
can yo suggest me a tutorial or a book to study basics? i found something online but i can't choose which is the best to begin

by the way, i found this online course if someone else is interested https://eliademy.com/catalog/feature...roduction.html i think it's too advenced for me

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lorenzo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
1.Start by installning jolla SDK.

2.Then copy hello world code in there

3. Execute

4. Add some new lines and strings, variabels to IT and print it on screen.

5. Do something more.

If you are interested in programming in general and not sailfish applications.... I would suggest you to look a at Java or Python as intro.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Suggestion :
- install Qt 5.4 (or 5.2) SDK targetting desktop PC (Linux, Windows, etc) and practice QML/Qt Quick 2 programming, without C/C++. The SDK has many examples which you can modify to learn by example. QML/Qt Quick 2 is powerful than Javascript and allows programming many things, not just GUI (Graphical User Interface);
- after being at ease with Qt Quick, install Sailfish SDK, which uses Qt 5.2, targetting Sailfish softwares running on emulator or real device. The SDK has some examples which you can modify to learn by example;
- if you think Qt Quick is to simple for your needs, learn C++ to develop the backend (software outside GUI) for Qt softwares. An alternative, instead of C++, is to learn Python 3 & PyOtherSide to use as backend for Sailfish softwares.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2015-01-06 at 16:24.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
There's a fair number of general Qt tutorials on http://qt-project.org which are probably a good idea to run through prior to starting with Sailfish.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:

Tags
developing, sailfish os