Posts: 26 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2005 @ OC,California,USA
Can someone help me? How much memory does the internet tablet have?

It has 128 meg of ROM which is used to store the OS and any files you install or copy to it. Then it has 64meg of RAM which is used to run programs.

When you get it, there's about 60-70meg of ROM free to install stuff but that includes an 8meg video and a couple of MP3s. Remove that stuff and I think you'll have about 80meg to play with.

Does that answer your question?

Someone had previously theorized that because the browser was Opera, the temp folders might be able to offloaded to the RS-MMC. The potential benefit would be for memroy heavy web pages - some folks had mentioned the 770 having trouble with certain pages that contained a lot of multimedia content. Anyone tried doing this?

Jeff

Originally Posted by rgbyhkr
Someone had previously theorized that because the browser was Opera, the temp folders might be able to offloaded to the RS-MMC. The potential benefit would be for memroy heavy web pages - some folks had mentioned the 770 having trouble with certain pages that contained a lot of multimedia content. Anyone tried doing this?
I just had a trawl through the Opera.ini file and there's nothing that looks like it allows you to relocate the cache, or where it is in the first place. Having said that:

a) I suspect it's cached to ROM not RAM so only the rendering is going on in RAM.
b) To be honest with my Wireless/Broadband connection I'm happy to forgo caching altogether. If Flash ROM is used for the cache then this may even show a speed increase.

But without some details on the internals, this is pure speculation.

I then read some of the Porting FAQs and find that of course this is a Linux system so you can do all sorts of jiggery pokery with partitions, file systems and symbolic links as mentioned here http://maemo.org/maemowiki/QuickPorting

Almost certainly not for the faint hearted though

I know exactly where you're coming from Andy. I'm a serious geek, but Linux has never really interested me. I'm a sucker for a slick GUI, so I've been happy with an insecure/buggy/hihgh requirement O/S like XP. It is world's better than previous gens but I'm still reminded of basic things they could do better anytime I use one of my Macs.

Of course, after I get the 770 and start using it regularly, who knows? I may just have to take a stab at Linux.

Jeff

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2005 @ OC,California,USA
Yes that did answer my question,andy. Thank you.

Originally Posted by LilNdn
Yes that did answer my question,andy. Thank you.
If you look in the Opera settings you can turn caching off, which is what I've done considering most of my browsing is over a fast broadband connection.