Active Topics

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Kalamazoo
So I do not own a N810 (yet) but I am looking into getting one. The fact that this is not a Phone is really confusing to me, and only a tablet PC.

So I want to fix this as I've done some modding in my past (psp, xbox, and hardware modding to laptops/computers) I think I can whip up some method to get a USB Sprint mobile card to work with the N810.

My Idea:
Cords needed to attach the card:
http://www.electronicproductonline.c...oducts_id=2004

http://www.electronicproductonline.c...oducts_id=1781

Ovation U727 Known linux support (Sprint)
http://nextelonline.nextel.com/NASAp...SKU=NVU727DORA

***If I can find some hacked linux drivers I might use***
http://nextelonline.nextel.com/NASAp...SKU=SWC597DORA

I have looked at the new WiMax version and noticed that it has a "bump" or raised back. I know a local plastic molding company (uses a plastic wrap to make a mold) to make it all fit on the back of the phone.

Hopefully it will come out ok. Does anyone see any problems with this?

Costs will be:
Phone
$497 Best buy -12% off rewards zone =440+tax

USB Card with 2 year Sprint Contract (new or upgrade) + cables
Free (-$50) or at most ($50)
Cables $10

Per Month
$60 -%10 Company discount =$54+Tax

Overall cost of phone over 2 years with agreement ($1940ish)

Last edited by jiggjake; 2008-08-28 at 17:44.

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
If you can make it work it would be a cool mod but personally I would just stick the N810 in my left pocket and a phone in my right

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
If you want to go the USB mobile card route - I would get one of those USB 3G sticks, and plug it into a Cradlepoint pocket wifi router. Then stick that in your right pocket, and the N810 in your left pocket, as suggested by andrewfblack...

I'd watch out for some major battery drain from this.... if its possible which i'm not sure it is

Hardware-wise, it's possible; software should work, unless it uses any closed-source (and x86-only) drivers.

To combat battery drain, I'd recommend trying to hack this into the Mugen 3.6Ah battery cover.

Also, under the battery cover is access to the USB signals, making it a potentially cleaner solution.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Pharscape has tons of information about Linux + 3G.

Here is the user guide for your device.

The technical specifications are in chapter 4.0. Regarding battery drain the relevant part is on page 146:

Current consumption
Sleep/idle 45 mA
Average in-use 400 mA
Max. (peak) 500mA
This is approx the same as the device I have in mind except mine doesn't have GPS. Just because you have a N810 doesn't mean you don't want a 2nd GPS because the N810's GPS is known for being problematic.

So, seems like a good deal however I believe this will drain your battery life of your tablet quite a bit (400 mA while the battery of the NIT is 1500 mA).

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
If you're gonna make the n810 all fat and have wires dangling off it, you'd probably be better off hacking the U727 into a eee pc...

dont get me wrong, i'd love to see it work....

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Kalamazoo
Can anyone post links of the N810 taken apart / where USB leads are or of Battery hacks.

It was linked from a post within the past day or two; search for Mugen.

Edit: No, I'm wrong; that diagram was linked in the 32GB adapter thread, not one of the mugen threads.

Last edited by Benson; 2008-08-28 at 21:43.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
The advantage is that he can actually plug the USB stick in a nettop or laptop. Probably runs fine on a Windows XP desktop, a Macbook Pro, or a EEe nettop. The challenge is the NIT. IMO. Its Linux/ARM (should work) you need to use a converter from microUSB (m) (N810) / miniUSB (m) (N800) -> USB (f) (should work), and you're gonna see how good the battery will last (don't know about that). Yes, you can tether with a phone. However, many data plans don't allow this, or you need to buy an application like Joikuspot.

Tags
compass 597, n810, ovation u727, sprint, usb