Closed Thread
Posts: 133 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Travel bag
here again with another query
If anyone could help please..

I have a 16 GB mmc which I have created 3 partitions.. First is a FAT for data storage. 2nd ( mmcblk1p2) is my primary partition with cloned OS.. Recently I installed easy debian and tarred the img file to the 3rd partition ( mmcblk1p3) .

Today I looked at my primary partition size and it is at 1.74 GB ( img 1 below) which does not tally with the size of stuff I have installed. Img 2 below contents and size does not tally with the "In Use" space.

I guess while trying to get the Easy debian working, the image file ( debian-squeeze-img.tar.bz2) that I downloaded is stuck somewhere in the primary partition though I deleted it. Essentially think I am not able to reclaim the 1.2 GB worth of space.

Appreciate if someone could help me reclaim this space, without having to reflash/reinstall everything..

Pls help..

Last edited by shin; 2009-11-08 at 18:01. Reason: for clarity

I have a question also, is there any way i can install a .exe file on debian. or anything that this N810 runs? thanks alot in advance,

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by bncase View Post
I have a question also, is there any way i can install a .exe file on debian. or anything that this N810 runs? thanks alot in advance,
There is no Wine for the N810, and the .exe file is not written for an ARM processor, which is what you are dealing with. So, no. There might be a similar program that will run on the N810, but that would depend on what program it is.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
shin:

Maybe you deleted the image file when it was still mounted...

Did you have the image file in your "primary partition"? If so, you will have to boot into flash memory, gain root, and issue the following command:

Code:
fsck.ext2 -fy /dev/mmcblk1p2

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Travel bag
qole :

Thank you for the suggestion..

I ran the fsck as you mentioned.. I dont see any difference or the "in use " volume as displayed in the Img 1 posted above, did not reduce ( still 1.74 GB). Except for couple of ebooks( about 5 Mbs) I have all my audio/video and other files on a separate partition. With the Debian image too installed in another partition, not sure why the size/ volume in use is showing as 1.74 GB, which looks pretty big.

In essence the "fsck.ext2 -fy /dev/mmcblk1p2" did not help much and I was wondering if there is any other way I can free up space, which I suspect is due to the Debian image that I installed to this partition in the beginning..

Thanks for your help..

This may be a n00b question, but I tried to install Easy Debian on my N900, but it won't install because it needs Gnutar. And I can't find Gnutar for N900 somewhere. The maemo4 version doesn't show up in Application Manager, although I've added Extras & Extras-Devel.
Thanks is advance for your help.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I haven't released Easy Debian for the N900. The missing gnutar is only one of many problems you will have if you try to force it.

Please wait a bit longer for the "official" version.

I have released easy-chroot for Maemo 5 into the Fremantle extras-devel repository, however.

I will try to get a very rudimentary version into extras-devel this weekend, because there are going to be a lot of people with N900s soon.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Just to show you all that I'm finally getting my act together, take a look at the easy-deb-chroot project git! I have all of the files uploaded there.

easy-deb-chroot git page

Just click on "tree" on the top entry (with the green master tag) to browse the files.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
How you get it to run? Would you mind to share?
Or is it as simple as "apt-get install lmms"?

Originally Posted by McLightning View Post

linux multimedia studio
at the end ,sound working fine
thanks qole

check out the demonstration video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qwdOdzPM58

ah well, I've managed to get Gnutar on my N900, just by adding an extra Extras-repository with distro set to Chinook. Gnutar installs fine and after that, Easy Debian install as well (although not fine)

Now I can't get it to work properly - it keeps asking for an ext2, although I've downloaded it. Trying to work around that as well. I know you're working on a N900-version as well (and I'm appreciating it), but I like to fool around with my N900 this way

Closed Thread

Tags
debian, firefox, gimp, java, openoffice