Posts: 152 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ West Virginia
After reading these forums for the last few months, I keep seeing a repeating thread: I hate my N900, don't buy this if you are not a geek(linux guru, et. al.). I have been in the market for a new device, still working on the cash to plunk down on the N900 if that becomes the viable option, and I'm looking at tapping the collective mind of the Maemo.org community. The recent thread/poll regarding you recommending the N900 to a friend got me thinking, what sort of questions would you ask of a 'friend' if they wanted to buy the N900?

So here is what I am proposing for this thread. I am a person who is interested in the N900. You as a member of these forums can ask me questions that you feel would aid me in deciding if the N900 is right for me, AND what could filter me out as a potential user vs. just someone buying a fancy toy who could be better served by another (more restrictive?) device.

I am curious to see what sort of questions are posed by folks who have already used (love/hate/etc) the device, and if those questions would help guide me to a correct purchase. So let's be constructive here, I'm going to reply to most posts asking questions, but silly/troll posts... not so much. =)

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
OK here is what I think if you still dont have the cash to buy it and its not that you have serious issues with your current phone I suggest you wait till the next device is out It gonna be in fall or winter

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
ive just convinced my best mate to get one, hes a bit thick tho!
he loves it after i set it up for him, but hes always moaning about the battery life, i tell him thats the price of having the best phone currently on the market

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Victoria BC Canada
We all start out as n00bs so I wouldn't pay attention to that warning.

That said, I think you need a clear idea of what you require and expect from any device.

Decide if the N900 has the potential to fit the bill.

Then if you are patient, willing to learn and research, I think you could do far worse than to buy an N900. You will soon be an expert too!

Oh, you also need to become immune to all the hysteria and drama that sometimes flows from this and other forums!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grok For This Useful Post:
Posts: 258 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ St. Louis, MO, USA
Originally Posted by coderedcomputing View Post
After reading these forums for the last few months, I keep seeing a repeating thread: I hate my N900, don't buy this if you are not a geek(linux guru, et. al.). I have been in the market for a new device, still working on the cash to plunk down on the N900 if that becomes the viable option, and I'm looking at tapping the collective mind of the Maemo.org community. The recent thread/poll regarding you recommending the N900 to a friend got me thinking, what sort of questions would you ask of a 'friend' if they wanted to buy the N900?

So here is what I am proposing for this thread. I am a person who is interested in the N900. You as a member of these forums can ask me questions that you feel would aid me in deciding if the N900 is right for me, AND what could filter me out as a potential user vs. just someone buying a fancy toy who could be better served by another (more restrictive?) device.

I am curious to see what sort of questions are posed by folks who have already used (love/hate/etc) the device, and if those questions would help guide me to a correct purchase. So let's be constructive here, I'm going to reply to most posts asking questions, but silly/troll posts... not so much. =)
You should buy mine, because I'm selling it!

Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
I am certainly no expert. But one great thing about the N900 it is linux. So if you wanted to do something in terminal, just search how to do it in Ubuntu for example. The phone is not difficult to master or use. You can get plenty of stuff done with your phone that you can't do with other phones without being an expert.

But here's the catch: to really USE the phone to it's FULL potential you need to be an expert. However you learn something new everyday. That's my experience anyway. I like a phone that is so customizable and gives you such freedom.

I would suggest this phone to anyone. Everyone can use it. Geeks and non-geeks.

I don't know if you like cars. But for example this phone is like a ferrari. Anyone can drive it. But to post good lap times you have to know how to drive well.

The Following User Says Thank You to pantera1989 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Birmingham
Originally Posted by pantera1989 View Post
I would suggest this phone to anyone. Everyone can use it. Geeks and non-geeks.
Agreed, anyone can use this device but I think as a potential user, you have to ask yourself the following:

"Do you want to be able to "plug and play" out the box with apps etc?"
"Do you want 99.99% reliability?"
"Do you want 8 million fart apps" (or being nice about it "lots of apps")?
"Do you want the same apps as your friends?"
"Do you like fully "tried and tested" products?"

I think if you answered "Yes" to any of those questions the N900 is probably not for you

"Do you know what Linux is?"
"Do you want constant headaches?"
"Can you keep calm after bricking your device?"
"Do you know what bricking means?"
"Do you want to learn about a new OS?"
"Do you want to contribute back to the community?"
"Are you willing to spend time and effort making things work just the way you want?"
"Are you willing to wait and wait and wait, patiently for updates "

If you answered "No" to any of these, again probably not for you.

The choice for me was to have a smartphone (iPhone) or mobile computer (N900) and that was the line drawn in the sand.

I wanted a complete device to take the place of both phone and laptop while travelling - and it has done that - brilliantly

If I wanted more phone than laptop at the time I would probably have an iPhone now.

I think (as a potential user), you read the press pack, the website, the specifications and come on here and have a look at the topics being discussed, you'll know straight away whether it is right for you or not

BTW: If you answered "No" to the first set and "Yes" to the second set, welcome............

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davedickson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by coderedcomputing View Post
Actually, all the stuff about the N900 being just for "hackers" or "linux fans" is just not true.
There are many people who just use the N900 for what it is made for: web browsing (even the full YouTube and more stuff), playing music and videos, instant messaging on the go, reading e-books, and so on.
(So, if the above features are important to you, you should consider getting it.)

The trolling mostly comes from people who buy a device only for a couple of months for the purpose of showing it off - the N900 has no bloatware to show off, it just works.
(If you want a gadget that you want to boast about to your friends, the N900 is not for you.)

Additionally, contrary to what some might say, the N900 has a deal of great apps that enhance its functionality greatly.
(Not millions, but still very much.)

Here are the questions you asked for:

Would you like a device with which you can browse the web pretty much the same way a regular computer?

Do you want to watch DivX movies on the go?

Do you want to use Skype calls on the go?

Do you want to use MSN (or other IMs) on the go?

Are you not afraid of standing out from the crowd?

... and so on.

The Following User Says Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
you must not forget the fact that even if someone yells louder in the community, he does not represent the thinking of everyone else that keeps quiet.

a lot of us are happy with the device, even if we does not participate in flamewar threads

and we dont create "thanks" threads. we thank to everyone that makes our phones better and better

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Since you're asking... I'd say no. Especially since there is no direct comment from Nokia about its upgrade path to the forthcoming MeeGo OS. Sure, the N900 will be the ARM platform for that OS, but that (historically) does not mean that it will receive the upgrade.

No sense in buying a phone without a clear update path and with a learning curve that ultimately might doubly make it not worth it if I were in your place.

So no. Don't buy.