I would love to have a phone that you can install on multiple STABLE operating systems just like you do on a notebook or desktop.

Yes I know there are ports now, but there is no generic installer like there is on a notebook. This is what is needed.

The Following User Says Thank You to ehab For This Useful Post:
Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Embedded mobile devies are very different to notebook and desktop systems. Not to mention, how many of those can you even get without a pre-installed operating system. I think you're just "asking" for the sake of asking. What would you actually do with a mobile you could install multiple OS' onto? I think you'd settle with one in the end. So just choose :P

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tswindell For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ehab View Post
I would love to have a phone that you can install on multiple STABLE operating systems just like you do on a notebook or desktop.

Yes I know there are ports now, but there is no generic installer like there is on a notebook. This is what is needed.
Not true. There is a installer for debian for example. It's not user-friendly at all, but it is an installer. It creates a base system for you which you need to later tweak for your cellphone's hardware.

I doubt this will happen anytime soon. The main reason is that there isn't a big market for that sort of thing. How many people buy a phone cause of the OS instead of buying a phone so they can have the pleasure of installing one on it?

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Keep wishing for a x86 phone with a sane bootloader.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
i think slowly and slowly we are coming to it. as some of new operation systems for mobiles(can't really call them like that anymore) are developed separate from the actually device itself(android and now meego). as well people port operation systems (nitdroid or android on iphone). i think next step is to go to court and ask for opportunity to have to choose the OS on phone, as linux users did back in times when you had to buy only windows laptops and pay extra money even if you want only linux system.

ysss is of course talking about the LG GW990 x86 MeeGo phone with something like Multiboot.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
There are such phones, e.g. the Aava handset, but they're developer phones for the industry and damn expensive.