From what I've seen, *all* networks are supported out of the box. However, due to carrier locking, only specific carriers are supported. IE, to start with Tmobile gets support first, then the others. And Nokia won't have to do anything, save for changing the locking code. To do otherwise would be too inexpensive.

It's the same reason you can only use the iPhone on the AT&T network, *UNLESS* you unlock it, and then it can move wherever you want it to. The same will be true of the n900.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
From what I've seen, *all* networks are supported out of the box. However, due to carrier locking, only specific carriers are supported. IE, to start with Tmobile gets support first, then the others. And Nokia won't have to do anything, save for changing the locking code. To do otherwise would be too inexpensive.

It's the same reason you can only use the iPhone on the AT&T network, *UNLESS* you unlock it, and then it can move wherever you want it to. The same will be true of the n900.
Sorry you are wrong. Read here for explanation.

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...6&postcount=80

I am in the same dilemma. There is no way I can switch to T-Mobile since we don't have it in our area.

Yes, the phone component will work on AT&T, but data-wise, it will be at EDGE speed at max.

I am hoping that the NAM version will support AT&T. US T-Mobile folks can always opt to get the european version.

Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
I am in the same dilemma. There is no way I can switch to T-Mobile since we don't have it in our area.

Yes, the phone component will work on AT&T, but data-wise, it will be at EDGE speed at max.

I am hoping that the NAM version will support AT&T. US T-Mobile folks can always opt to get the european version.
I understand your problem. But i dont think nokia will release another variant in the very near future. My guess is that it will take atleast 3 months to release it just to give exclusivity to the carrier. Nokia should have released both versions. But i hope because of the exclusivity deal the n900 will be very well subsidized. May be u need to check again for t-mobile coverage may be they updated recently....

Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
I understand your problem. But i dont think nokia will release another variant in the very near future. My guess is that it will take atleast 3 months to release it just to give exclusivity to the carrier. Nokia should have released both versions. But i hope because of the exclusivity deal the n900 will be very well subsidized. May be u need to check again for t-mobile coverage may be they updated recently....
Nope, not a single T-mobile shop here.

I remember Nokia released the N95 with HSDPA 2100 support for europe and HSDPA 850 / 1900 on the NAM version. Still hoping...

Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
Nope, not a singe T-mobile shop here.

I remember Nokia released the N95 with HSDPA 2100 support for europe and HSDPA 850 / 1900 on the NAM version. Still hoping...
Yeah i remember. But post iphone it is all about exclusivity. No matter how hard nokia tried to fight of exclusivity and carrier lockin they are being forced to do it to compete in this stupid American market.

Posts: 674 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
Should I open a new topic for "The Latin American 3G issue" or can I join this one?

In Latin America we use the same data frequency than AT&T.

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Powell, OH
Originally Posted by bigr3dd0g View Post
GA is right though..T-Mobile 3G coverage sucks ***

http://www.cellularmaps.com/3g_compare.shtml
You need to study those maps carefully. The t-mobile map only shows 3G where the other makes show general cell service as well. The actually 3G coverage doesn't look that much different. Basically major cities.

Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
Now is a good time to switch. I imagine it will take atleast 6 months for nokia to release a tablet variant. By that time you can sell the phone and buy the next wide screen tablet. I plan to do that.
What if I do not want the tablet but want to keep my N900 (provided I buy it).

More importantly to GA's point what if T-Mobile coverage is not upto par (at least with ATT I know where I do have coverage and am getting 3.5G right now) ? That's the big question.

I am still betting (personally) that there will be unlocked versions with support for ATT spectrum too.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by theflew View Post
You need to study those maps carefully. The t-mobile map only shows 3G where the other makes show general cell service as well. The actually 3G coverage doesn't look that much different. Basically major cities.
Also, be aware that the T-Mo map on that site must be an old map. 3G isn't only in green; red represents those cities that have been lit this year or will be lit with 3G by Christmas.