I am looking in this forum and as i can see there are so many threads about new ideas and suggestions about new applications or patches that in the end we will be confused! So then I suggest to make an official Queue Application List with priorities such as Low, normal and high or with a value of % like 4% if we want to be more specific so developers or owners of N900 vote to a patch or update or new application for its creation.
Personally I believe this will help us.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tousisd For This Useful Post:
Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
1 post merged from brainstorm "[SUGGEST] Priority Queue Application List"

The Following User Says Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Brainstorm is FAST now after the server move. At least server speed will be left hopefully out of the discussion.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Excellent

I hope to see some more votes now considering we had almost 2000 online users.

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
please keep the noise in this thread low as possible,
thanks Quim for the heads up.
As no serious posts dropped in since the move from community forum over here should it be moved back again?

BTT: What about to prevent normal users from starting threads in talk.brainstorm and make brainstorm start the threads itself with proper linking, including status update by itself in the thread's title?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
please keep the noise in this thread low as possible,
thanks Quim for the heads up.
As no serious posts dropped in since the move from community forum over here should it be moved back again?

BTT: What about to prevent normal users from starting threads in talk.brainstorm and make brainstorm start the threads itself with proper linking, including status update by itself in the thread's title?
That seems like the right way to do it. As with the rest of the forum integration, the questions are "who" and "when".

I've been observing (lots and lots of threads to sift through in here/there) and thinking about the brainstorm situation, and i think it's safe to say that the vast majority of people using it are just going to post their own pet brainstorm topic and then go on their merry way. I know this isn't going to be a popular suggestion, but i think that in order for brainstorm to be useful, some kind of quota and queue has to be established so that people will have to get behind and push so they can get their own time at the head of the line.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
What about to prevent normal users from starting threads in talk.brainstorm and make brainstorm start the threads itself with proper linking
That's the plan, in Reggie and Oskari backlogs.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Ok, talk about how Brainstorming is failing is scattered around here so I thought I'd see if we could discuss in this thread and reach some sort of consensus. Suffice to say I think I get where Quim is coming from but I'm still not sure it's a disaster and if it is, what we need to do to fix it.

So I'm going to construct a fictional scenario here to see if Quim and those thanking him can get the issues through my thick skull. The scenario will have nothing to do with Maemo so we can avoid getting caught up in some of the real proposals here. I will intentionally add solutions that may seem silly since we really get those.

Proposal:

Randy's house is old and could use many improvements

Solution 1: Randy should replace all of his windows with new ones
Solution 2: Randy should better insulate his attic
Solution 3: Randy should replace his antique air conditioning system
Solution 4: Randy should abandon the house and get an apartment
Solution 5: Randy should accidentally drop a match and collect insurance after the damn thing burns to the ground
Solution 6: Randy should sell the house as-is and try his luck on the depressed housing market
Solution 7: Randy should take out a loan for life, hire an expert and let them have at it
Solution 8: Randy should only insulate critical areas of the attic AND replace over-exposed windows for now

See how the proposal is at a very high level and can be attacked in many ways?

Now, some of these solutions are mutually-exclusive based on type and scope... but most are mutually exclusive based on resources (time, funds, help, etc). Some do not relate directly to the proposal (4, 5, 6) at all but are in fact alternatives. I see these as issues facing current Brainstorms.

So here's what I suggest: let the proposal creator manage this. Give them the ability to deprecate solutions, even popular ones, if he/she feels there's a conflict of any sort. Let them mark alternatives as Inappropriate (for no action) OR change the nature of the original proposal IF he/she feels the solution provider has introduced something not originally considered but highly useful.

Let proposal creators take ownership. Let them have the ability to edit and/or combine solutions. Let them manage their portion of the process. Let them prune, weed, nurture, whatever it takes to move the process forward.

Granted, this could cause some ill will... but, so can inaction (which we have now). Ultimately, I'd like to see proposal creators collaborate with solution contributors and start shaping the "mess".

I'd also like to have those of us participating in moderation have some sort of offline dialog so we can get on the same page. Starting soon.

I'm just... brainstorming here though. I'm starting to think I'm at odds with the general idea here based on responses to recent comments so maybe I should just shut up and let everyone else sort it out...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
I think at the end it goes down to a very pragmatical reason: specific brainstorm proposals are easier to address just like specific bug reports are easier to address.

I just rated a proposal in Sandbox with a thumbs down just trying to avoid that it leaves Sandbox: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...0&postcount=20 I think this could be a policy and we should address the current proposals that are Under Consideration.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Ok... then we need to figure out the cleanup process...

Tags
brainstorm, bug, community|nokia, dependencies, discussion, improvement, process, sop, workflow