Posts: 106 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Bucharest
Ovi store work great for others nokia phone models, we dont need to generalise the whole ovi store thing

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
I wish there was a way of getting my €50 back...

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
If memory serves me correct, Risku said in one of his articles that the whole Ovi shindig is being developed by a Londonese firm that has very little else to do with Nokia.

Maybe its time to give these fellows a boot or integrate them with some people who have actually seen code before in their lives.

Another explanation might be that there aren't enough people working on the store, as its not as of yet "off its feet" by any measure. Kind of a catch 22 though if they won't hire more folks before its more succesful.

Originally Posted by vitamina View Post
Ovi store work great for others nokia phone models, we dont need to generalise the whole ovi store thing
This was exactly my question.

Thanks for shedding some light on this.

This is just another point showing how completely dead N900 is.

Posts: 146 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Switzerland
Smoku, what do you want to upload, and why?
I'm just curious.

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
(conspiracy theory time!) i think nokia are actually using n900 as a kind of social experiment. provide some fantastic hardware and aim it at developers, give them tools to make their own stuff but choke the opportunity for big companies to provide any functional apps on the side. i mean surely a company as big and as experienced as nokia couldn't f*ck things up this badly by accident?

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to festivalnut For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
This was exactly my question.

Thanks for shedding some light on this.

This is just another point showing how completely dead N900 is.
I think Nokia N900 rushed out when equipped with Maemo 5.
However it is difficult to have an online market for more diverse models as specifications.
Nokia N900 was something like ... we've produced, u will do the rest.
And in the end is nothing to have a well Ovi Store but no applications and games to fill it.

Give me bad experience ovi store but 100 games and 200 apps and i will never ever eveeeeeeer complain about the bad ovi store construction

Last edited by vitamina; 2010-08-10 at 10:50.

Originally Posted by vitamina View Post
Give me bad experience ovi store but 100 games and 200 apps and i will never ever eveeeeeeer complain about the bad ovi store construction
How would you expect apps in store, when publishers are unable to upload them?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
How would you expect apps in store, when publishers are unable to upload them?
fairy tale delivery ?

I think bigger software producer like ubi dont have problems to publish apps to ovi

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel.
Smoku,

I agree that Ovi on N900 is crap, But, I think that even if it was perfect on the uploading part, and support from Nokia Ovi QA part, it would have still been crap.

Reason :
- The exposure the Maemo 5 OS gets is limited to 1 device. N900.
- N900 was not soled in large quantities compared to other models of nokia or any other brand.
- Therefore, not many developers even care about maemo 5.
- So not many apps are ported/developed for the N900

On the other hand we have the competitors :
- Android, all apps run on multiple Hardware phones, because they share the same platform - So it doesn't matter how much exposure a specific phone model gets, what matters is the overall platform.
- Iphone, even though limited to a small number of hardware models, these models are so popular, that the number of developers is huge.
even all the protection methods Apple put didn't stop developers from doing everything.
Bluetooth, Wifi sharing, RDP, SSH, FTP, SCP, Flac, Video
Everything works on the iphone if you put some effort to it. (Excluding flash yeye).

After saying all the above, Nokia came forth and burried maemo 5 only to create Meego, ruining any chance of maemo 5 application market / future to ever evolve to a level even remotely close to the competitors.

The only question I have at the moment, is one for the future.
Will Meego suffer in the same manner? or will we really see lots of hardware companies distributing their phones with meego, resulting in large developer pool.
Also, will they support Meego in the long term? like android 1.6 is supported, and all apple phone have received multiple updates, allowing developers to keep developing for all of them at once?
Will Qt API ever be as powerful as the IPhone API? allowing developers to easily create Responsive, Good Looking, aesthetic games and apps?

Honestly, It's too early to know about Meego.
Even though I love My N900, i'm already looking at purchasing a new phone, (had n900 for 6 months now, wrote 1 app for it that I uploaded, and some other stuff I wrote for myself, the process was not pleasent.)
Probably i'll go for android 2.2 on some 1GHz device.

Edit :
1 Year ago I was laughing at all Iphone owners with my N95.
I really do think it is better then all of them iphones.
But with the N900 my opinion changed a bit.
But this could most definetly happen again in 2 years, where i'll be the owner of some HTC or Even Iphone 4, and Meego will be so attractive, i'll be posting the very same message on android/apple forums, and buy a meego device
| DonateMe - If you feel I helped you in a very good way, feel free to donate |

Last edited by eitama; 2010-08-10 at 10:58.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to eitama For This Useful Post:

Tags
ovi store