Posts: 209 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fishers, Indiana
Originally Posted by bkrownd View Post
Unfortunately the earphone volume on the n800 is really weak, and would be very difficult to hear on a typical city street. I may try noise-cancelling earphones, but I'm wondering if it's possible to get much more volume out of higher quality earphones?
In a word, YES. Particularly the in-ear earphones that seal out background noise. Sometimes even some of quietest music can be pretty loud with the volume down low. The headphones don't need to be something really expensive ($30 - $40 is fine) to really sound nice and be very loud. I've tried Audio-Technica, Denon, Panasonic RP-55, and some of the more expensive ones-- they all generally sound good, though the more expensive ones may not that as nice, honestly. If you're in the US I'd suggest a $7 in-line volume adjuster (from Radio Shack) so you can get the volume as quiet as you want without any "hiss" or noise since the headphones are really sensitive.

Larry

Unfortunately the earphone volume on the n800 is really weak
in my experience if you tweak volume control up-down in both FM-Radio application and "system status bar widget" you can get it do a decent volume.
i think this bug has been reported before?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Is it actually a bug? Seems to me it's just master volume and application volume... like on a PC...

Anyway, no problems with earphone sounds for me. Obviously phones make the difference?

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Berlin, Germany
Unfortunately the earphone volume on the n800 is really weak, and would be very difficult to hear on a typical city street. I may try noise-cancelling earphones, but I'm wondering if it's possible to get much more volume out of higher quality earphones?
I use the earphones from the N770 with the N800. They are much louder and do sound better than the N800 originals. No mic, of course...

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Is it actually a bug?
i take it you are right. i just didn't expect 2 different volume controls, but it makes sense with one being master.

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Steamy Hilo, HI
I'm using the earbuds that come with the n800. They're barely audible in a moving car with all the volume controls cranked up. Add a little bit of FM static and it's very frustrating. Tomorrow maybe I'll try some earmuffs over them.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I always use 3rd party buds. Much better fit and sound.

Yes, there are 2 volume controls: Master, and the "local" FM Radio volume. One thing to be aware of though is that the FM Radio volume depends on the signal strength: Hi-signal stations are both loud and clear, low-signal stations may need both volume controls cranked to full (and it may drop down to mono too).

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Washington State
Can the radio be launched without the desktop applet? I need the screen realestate for other items.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Is it actually a bug?
actually i remember there was something buggy about it! (not that i like being negative about N800 bugs, but i knew i remember something goofy about it)

using FM radio 1.4.6 from the application window:

1) set radio volume at about 50% and master volume at about 50%.
2) turn the radio volume to 100%
3) turn the master volume to 100%
4) go back radio application and tweak volume down a bit and up to 100% - now the volume is even louder.

at least that's what i have noticed on my set up. repeatable every time. the reason why i noticed it is because i don't keep N800 volume all the way up all the time, and those times i want to increase the volume to max i need to do that juggle.