I hear you on all of that. The command you gave me for the toggle works awesome. I used NFC corkboard for the time being to write text to the tag so it doesn't come up empty. Still requires input from me to make it go away, but no big worry from me I guess. It will be nice when you do implement an application option for the action menu so I will await patiently for that Until then I will figure out how to write the command to open "x" application. One more question. Is there a command to enter to force a disconnect from wifi? Thanks for all of your help.

Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by justadude View Post
Is there a command to enter to force a disconnect from wifi?
I don't know... it'd probably be more difficult than any making just one command, because if you want WiFi not to connect you probably must take "auto-connection" off from the connection. And then, you probably do want to restore the auto-connection back later somehow.

I was thinking to activate the rules in this order:

1. Force disconnect from wifi
2. Turn of wlan scanning.. perhaps by then the phone will connect to carrier signal before it tries to re-attempt wifi connection
3. Activate bluetooth

Maybe I'm being too optimistic about this working?

Originally Posted by justadude View Post
I was thinking to activate the rules in this order:

1. Force disconnect from wifi
2. Turn of wlan scanning.. perhaps by then the phone will connect to carrier signal before it tries to re-attempt wifi connection
3. Activate bluetooth

Maybe I'm being too optimistic about this working?
Until/unless someone finds a way to force disconnecting from wifi, you could try it like this:

1. Turn on flight mode temporarily to cut off wlan connection
2. Turn off wlan scanning
3. Activate bluetooth

It's highly hackish of course, cuts of temporarily your cell phone connection also, and I don't know if it'll work anyway .

Posts: 665 | Thanked: 2,388 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Zagreb, Croatia
@brkn and me are working on a way to force close all interfaces, or the one you choose, but it's very tricky and Aegis complains on every step so far.
It's a part of porting PirateBox to N9, will be available as open source of course, once it is done.
So you can take a look and take what you need.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knobtviker For This Useful Post:
Version 1.8.0 pushed to Store.

Changelog:
* Condition: Battery level
* Condition: Internet connection, any and no internet connection options
* Fix: Edited internet connection name and WLAN condition
* Some new D-Bus APIs for scripting

This is a smallish update, but intends to help with following problems:

Condition Battery level
Can be used to cure the sudden drop of battery level to 4%. Use this condition together with custom action to restart BME to restore the battery level. See this post for the custom action: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=825

Condition no/any internet connection
abyzthomas's problem: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=854

New D-Bus APIs for scripting
Some helpers for using scripts with D-Bus against ProfileMatic's daemon. Especially for executing all rule's actions as asked for example here http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=841.

Example:
Code:
dbus-send --session --type=method_call --print-reply --dest=org.ajalkane.profilematic /org/ajalkane/profilematic org.ajalkane.profilematic.executeActionsByRuleName "string:Rule Name"
So hopefully it will come into store in few days. Next feature update, 1.9.0, will have fewer new features, but will still require a bit more work than this version. And it's something I've intended to incorporate for almost the beginning of this project. That is conditions on calendar events.

When I'm done with that version, the "WIP" will be gone from the topic as by then I've done all that I originally set out to do with this project (and much more). That of course doesn't mean there won't be more updates, just kind of a mental switch of "achieved what I originally wanted to do".

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
Version 1.8.0 pushed to Store.

Changelog:
* Condition: Battery level
* Condition: Internet connection, any and no internet connection options
* Fix: Edited internet connection name and WLAN condition
* Some new D-Bus APIs for scripting

This is a smallish update, but intends to help with following problems:

Condition Battery level
Can be used to cure the sudden drop of battery level to 4%. Use this condition together with custom action to restart BME to restore the battery level. See this post for the custom action: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=825

Condition no/any internet connection
abyzthomas's problem: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=854

New D-Bus APIs for scripting
Some helpers for using scripts with D-Bus against ProfileMatic's daemon. Especially for executing all rule's actions as asked for example here http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=841.

Example:
Code:
dbus-send --session --type=method_call --print-reply --dest=org.ajalkane.profilematic /org/ajalkane/profilematic org.ajalkane.profilematic.executeActionsByRuleName "string:Rule Name"
Great features, should all come in handy.

So hopefully it will come into store in few days. Next feature update, 1.9.0, will have fewer new features, but will still require a bit more work than this version. And it's something I've intended to incorporate for almost the beginning of this project. That is conditions on calendar events.
I imagine this will be very useful.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'd still like to see conditons based on alarms, too. Since calendar events and alarm events are very similar in how they are stored and triggered, a person who knows nothing about anything (like me) might think it would be possible to incorporate that, too.

When I'm done with that version, the "WIP" will be gone from the topic as by then I've done all that I originally set out to do with this project (and much more). That of course doesn't mean there won't be more updates, just kind of a mental switch of "achieved what I originally wanted to do".
I've considered PM to be a "finished" product from the moment you made the daemon and custom action. Everything after that has just added to the awesomeness with more awesomeness.

Can't wait for this to show up in Store. While we're waiting, have a beer on me

The Following User Says Thank You to slarti For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Another idea (not sure how feasible): have calendar/organiser dates/times updated to reflect the new time-zone(s) one has moved into!?

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by slarti View Post
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'd still like to see conditons based on alarms, too. Since calendar events and alarm events are very similar in how they are stored and triggered, a person who knows nothing about anything (like me) might think it would be possible to incorporate that, too.
They might be very similar in how they are stored and triggered, but accessing them is quite different. There is a clear API for calendar, both in QtMobility and in the platform libraries. However for Alarms, I haven't found any good documentation, so it will require much more experimentation and trial-and-error before I get something working. In contrast, calendar events can be obtained through documented APIs and there are even several open source applications that I can peek at to get some real-life working code examples as a base.

So, while Alarm conditions are actually much easier to implement if the API is figured out, in reality I expect it to be much more rocky road. The D-Bus examples that you've digged out will be very helpful when I will start to look at it, so thanks for them - without those I wouldn't even know where to begin.

I don't mind reminding me of these features, otherwise I might wishfully start thinking they're not anymore needed features . I still can't promise this anytime soon, but my initial plan is: 1.9.0 calendar condition, 2.0 launching applications, 2.1.0 something with alarms. This may change, and I'm not sure whether I start with Alarm actions or Alarm conditions so it's still very vague.

I've considered PM to be a "finished" product from the moment you made the daemon and custom action. Everything after that has just added to the awesomeness with more awesomeness.

Can't wait for this to show up in Store. While we're waiting, have a beer on me
Thank you for the words and donation again (came in a time of much need indeed)!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Another idea (not sure how feasible): have calendar/organiser dates/times updated to reflect the new time-zone(s) one has moved into!?
I'm not sure what exactly you mean by that, but reading that I realized I haven't thought about moving between time zones at all. Now that I thought about it, I think ProfileMatic's time based conditions can behave erratically when moving from time zone to another. So there's very likely something that needs at least fixing there.

I guess you're thinking of updating the calendar entries so that the times are good on the new time zone? I imagine the calendar works so that if you put calendar entry to 18:00 - 19:00, and you move to TZ+2, the calendar entry is still 18:00 - 19:00 and doesn't keep synchronized to the time zone it was initially set in.

The Following User Says Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post: