Active Topics

Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
Hi guys,

I got a N9, finally.
However when I received it today it kept switching to landscape when possible. After installing Sensor Gallery I noticed that x and y axes are stuck. Probably damaged accelerometer.

X = stuck on 22.45
Y = stuck on -22.45
Z = working and seeing normal values.

Is there a way to override these values or to lock the UI to a certain orientation? Or would removing the battery possibly reset the accelerometer?

Any must-have apps and pointers what I can do with this device are welcome too

And has someone the L1-4 service Manual of the N9?
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

Last edited by mr_pingu; 2017-04-26 at 20:41.

The Following User Says Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 166 | Thanked: 454 times | Joined on Apr 2015 @ Poland

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mp107 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mr_pingu View Post
Or would removing the battery possibly reset the accelerometer?

Any must-have apps and pointers what I can do with this device are welcome tool
Seen reference to this being successful with N900 so certainly worth a try. You don't say whether pre-owned or recent import from China, but always worth checking that battery isn't swollen.

You have probably seen "Resurrect your N9" Wiki:https://wiki.maemo.org/Resurrect_your_N9

Pretty much every available free app. available here:http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...51&postcount=1 but probably your most essential app. is N9Repomirror here:https://openrepos.net/content/ancelad/n9-repomirror

Recommissioned N9 64GB only last week so have probably met up with most of issues, so give a shout if run into any problems.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aspergerguy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
Thanks found a working link

Originally Posted by aspergerguy View Post
Seen reference to this being successful with N900 so certainly worth a try. You don't say whether pre-owned or recent import from China, but always worth checking that battery isn't swollen.

You have probably seen "Resurrect your N9" Wiki:https://wiki.maemo.org/Resurrect_your_N9

Pretty much every available free app. available here:http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...51&postcount=1 but probably your most essential app. is N9Repomirror here:https://openrepos.net/content/ancelad/n9-repomirror

Recommissioned N9 64GB only last week so have probably met up with most of issues, so give a shout if run into any problems.
I was pre-owned but in used condition. Broken USB-cover, cracks in the case but good enough to get a feel of this device.

Well, here come's my shout:
So far; 2nd reflash already done

I'm trying to set up my N9 but I already failed miserably.
I want a working N9 with unrestricted system UI + tools as that provides a toggle to control the UI-orientation as Accelerometer is probably borked. Right now I don't have the tools to disconnect the battery.

I need Developer-mode for terminal anyway. But do I need open-mode? If yes I might have to flash openmode kernel, right?

Once enabled developer-mode I can gain root using the passwd: "rootme"

What's currently the best filemanager?
Filecase or Filebox, or something else?

Regards to the browser, is installing other browsers worth it? If so, which ones?

Billboard application is very nice But my lowpowerscreen is very pixelated, wonder how this happened... Even after uninstalling billboard. Hmmm :P 3rd reflash coming?

What to do after reflash?
1. Instal N9-repomirror
2. Enable Dev-Mode
3. Install system-ui (unrestricted + tools) but how? Trusted repo or N9Qtweak?

4. Fix maps / Drive
5. Fix weather widget - edit: Hmmm MeeCast doesn't work here in The Netherlands, any other suggestions?

6. Fix browser using myTopSites

7. Install other apps:
Must-have apps I found for myself are:
Warehouse
Billboard
Gconfik
FileCase
OpenVideoPlayer
CuteTube

This post is a bit of a guide for myself too
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

Last edited by mr_pingu; 2017-04-26 at 21:20.

The Following User Says Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 1,007 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Near Munich
Openmode is certainly useful, you will notice that without it there are still many barriers, even as root.

Regarding other browsers:
I personally think, most aren't worth it.
One notable exception is Opera, it can display many pages where the basic browser fails and is faster. But be careful, it drains your battery.

Make sure to get a current N9Qtweak and activate the patches for drive. Traffic view doesn't work any more, but other features come with it, like toggling between ETA, remaining way and remaining time (Tweak menu G).

The Low Power screen is always pixelated, thats part of the powersaving I guess. If you make it white its a bit sharper.

FBReader on the N9 is amazing, Even more so paired with calibre on your PC. The OLED screen makes reading so enjoyable and in flightmode you can go for more than a week and handle it like an e-reader. If you can resist playing with it that is.
You might enjoy my guide: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=97131

Stellarium is also great, allowing you to view the night sky, you can take your phone and point it at the sky, seeing the constellations in front of you.

If you enjoy mobile games, the preloaded Galaxy on Fire is quite a good one, although you will be frustrated when you discover all the nice extensions for Android you can't have.

Fahrplan allows you to navigate public transport in many different countries and uses very few data.

MaeFlight is rather buggy but still good enough to help you get fast Flight information.

GPSMeeFo helps you if you are as impatient as I when waiting for a GPS fix. No, its not faster, but you can watch the progress.

Helium is great paired with Kodi to play content.

AGTL for Geocaching if you are into it, its slightly buggy but in general it works. Some caches crash the parser and your download fails, so don't attempt to download larger areas at once.

cutemeter for fast measurements of small objects

I remember Camera Pro as being useful, but my N9s camera stopped working.

Personal Web Server as quick way to view your IP and to share files with any device.

Those are all Important ones I use often.
Disclaimer: I use a N900 as main phone currently, but have the N9 as backup, eBook reader and stargazing support always with me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Macros For This Useful Post:
Posts: 649 | Thanked: 762 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by mr_pingu View Post
Is there a way to override these values or to lock the UI to a certain orientation? Or would removing the battery possibly reset the accelerometer?
You should be able to do this with Gconfik.

The Following User Says Thank You to imaginaryenemy For This Useful Post:

Tags
accelerometer, damaged, nokia n9