Active Topics

Posts: 259 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Halifax, NS
I am starting a new thread because the solution got buried pretty deep in the other thread (which was mostly all about "no, you can't do it"). If you haven't seen it yet, read http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14391 all the way to the end - YES IT CAN BE DONE, and really easily.

Now to add some value to this thread, another big issue with GVM is the fragility of the store file. This is can be helped with the external card solution. You can either get RFBackup (freeware) or BackupMan (shareware) and back up your whole system to the external card. With BackupMan you can even make incremental backups on a schedule or even when you exit certain applications. If (when) your store file gets corrupted, just reformat/recreate it through GVMLauncher and restore the backup - it will only take a few seconds.

If the alarm sound issue was solved this would make GVM a full-time app for me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BoxOfSnoo For This Useful Post:
Combining the sd card solution with a backup program is a great idea -- I had subconsciously thought that a backup program might not have been compatible. But I don't know why I thought that.
The whole thing could be much more useful now, as the external card both provides a backup solution and finally a way to get data out (and improved data-in too). I'm tempted to re-install GVM again, but maybe there's a new version coming out soon (isn't the time-limit for the current version this May?)

GVM is a great tool, I'm surpirsed why ACCESS guys didnt/cant correct the fiew stability issues, (I will pay for it if it gets really stable) it's almost 6 mounths now since last update, and the time-limit is very soon (anybody here has the ability to hack it ?)

I discovered the external card "trick" few days ago (BTW, this is really easy to do, easier than you may think), and now I can read mobipocket books directly from the card (otherwise I had to use some ftp/windows sharing palm client and copy the files inside the limited 64 M, with a high risk to get everything screwed-up, I dont understand why using the install button always fail).

Now, I'm looking for a way to start prc programs directly from the card, they dont show up in the menu, Resco explorer does a good job, but it is a shareware.

Posts: 259 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Halifax, NS
To run things from the card, you should put them in the /Palm/Launcher folder. When you are in the launcher, change the category to "Slot 1" and you will see them there!

The Following User Says Thank You to BoxOfSnoo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
I can confirm that prc files in the Launcher folder do indeed run normally (as long as they would have run from the card in a real Palm).

Thanks, that works great !

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
If you're short on storage memory you could also try PowerRUN (shareware) or some other shortcut-creator application. They were very useful back in the m130 days .

Tags
garnet, palm