It's clear that the N770, N800 and N810 were UAT devices used by Nokia to 'feel' the market.

Is the N900 the same? I think so.

Why? Because Nokia is not advertising the N900 at all. They can't be possibly planning to compete with the iPhone if there is zero TV advertising (I'm in the US).
Secondly to have a real shot at the US market. They need to do an exclusive deal with a mobile phone company. Nokia knows this. Most people buy their phones at the mobile phone company store. How will people even know about this phone if T-Mobile, AT&T, Verizon etc. won't have this phone in their booths.

The big question is why should we shell out over $580 for another UAT device. Nokia should provide us with this phone for free (or at a discount), since we have been early adopters, to help market their product if they are really serious about this product.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by sunny@ View Post
It's clear that the N770, N800 and N810 were UAT devices used by Nokia to 'feel' the market.

Is the N900 the same? I think so.

Why? Because Nokia is not advertising the N900 at all. They can't be possibly planning to compete with the iPhone if there is zero TV advertising (I'm in the US).
Secondly to have a real shot at the US market. They need to do an exclusive deal with a mobile phone company. Nokia knows this. Most people buy their phones at the mobile phone company store. How will people even know about this phone if T-Mobile, AT&T, Verizon etc. won't have this phone in their booths.

The big question is why should we shell out over $580 for another UAT device. Nokia should provide us with this phone for free (or at a discount), since we have been early adopters, to help market their product if they are really serious about this product.
Advertising has already started in Europe. Marketing is just getting started. I can't say anything about North America, but we'll see. The N900 is definitely much more of an end user product than the previous tablets have been.

Community members that have helped in various ways HAVE received developer discounts or even free devices. This hasn't changed with the N900. Once Summit rolls around, you'll understand.

Just being a user of the tablets and an early adapter is missing the whole point. It's contributing something back to the community and to the tablets. Being a positive, helpful and productive member of the community gets you rewarded in various ways... not coming here with 10 posts since 2006 and demanding a free/discounted N900.

Last edited by zerojay; 2009-10-06 at 17:45.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
No average joe person is going to pay $650 for a phone today in the United States. There is no one subsidizing the phone and only one carrier supports the 3G and GSM frequencies it requires.

This phone was built for the rest of the world, not us in the United States and there is absolutely nothing wrong with this. We may be speaking English here but this is very much a worldwide forum.

Nokia already dominates the iPhone in the market outside the United States. Competition with the iPhone in the United States just is not a priority at this time, with this device.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TedMilker For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
not coming here with 10 posts since 2006 and demanding a free/discounted N900.
This is not about me. We in the U.S. have seen zero advertising and have seen how earlier tablets have been unceremoniously discontinued. Why should we bite again?

The USA's telecoms play by different rules then the rest of the world. And I think Nokia rather just skip focusing on the USA for now and opting for focusing on Europe and Asia.

And then come back later and get the USA if the situation improves in the US. As is the n900 can only run on AT&T and TMobile networks). TMobile being the only one supporting 3G speeds, and AT&T supporting only Edge speeds.

AT&T has the iPhone for now (and their adoption of other smartphones, e.g. Android, Pre,etc..) is slow probably due to them worrying about upsetting their relationship with Apple. TMobile has their hands full with Android.

So I don't think Nokia cares so much about the US market right now.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
The USA's telecoms play by different rules then the rest of the world. And I think Nokia rather just skip focusing on the USA for now and opting for focusing on Europe and Asia.

And then come back later and get the USA if the situation improves in the US. As is the n900 can only run on AT&T and TMobile networks). TMobile being the only one supporting 3G speeds, and AT&T supporting only Edge speeds.

AT&T has the iPhone for now (and their adoption of other smartphones, e.g. Android, Pre,etc..) is slow probably due to them worrying about upsetting their relationship with Apple. TMobile has their hands full with Android.

So I don't think Nokia cares so much about the US market right now.

I would agree with you LM, with this in mind is there a phone out right now in the US market (wether its on a carrier's plan or not) made by Nokia or a competetor that you would choose as a "smartphone" over the N900?

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by sunny@ View Post
This is not about me. We in the U.S. have seen zero advertising and have seen how earlier tablets have been unceremoniously discontinued. Why should we bite again?
Well, if you choose, you can wait for the so-called "step 5 of 5" device. All I can tell you is that the N900 is MUCH more focused on your normal user and the inclusion of the phone confirms that to me.

I'm not sure what it is you're looking for in a phone, but I know that even if everything having to do with Maemo stops and ends right now, I got my money's worth from the devices and I've had an amazing time working and getting to know the other people that love the devices as much as I do.

And by the way, things getting discontinued is nothing new. Apple does it too.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Being a positive, helpful and productive member of the community gets you rewarded in various ways...
Where do I sign? :P

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by AnimalMind View Post
I would agree with you LM, with this in mind is there a phone out right now in the US market (wether its on a carrier's plan or not) made by Nokia or a competetor that you would choose as a "smartphone" over the N900?
Not really. Android hasn't gotten to the point I'd like it too yet. The iPhone won't do multi-tasking [without jailbreaking + hacks] and have the hardware I'm interested in (camera, video out, etc..). Plus lack of a true widget system to give you at a glance information (you'll have to be inside an application for that). There are some Windows Mobile possibilities coming out next year and in 2011, but then you'll be using Windows Mobile.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
Why is it all the sudden that every single touchscreen phone is now competitor to iPhone???

iPhone is overpriced and limited phone.
N900 is multitasking, multitasking, multitasking.

Just because N900 has a touchscreen it doesn't mean it's designed for iPhone user-group ...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to meizirkki For This Useful Post: