Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by bazz View Post
Not sure where to post this or if its been covered, but I read someplace that MeeGo will be RPM based....I a bit bummed about this....I love my deb/Debian!
So is it good by Debian....? Not a fan of RPM
I'm not sure it's been absolutely decided yet, but unless you're a developer, you're unlikely to notice any change anyway.

Is MeeGo built from Scratch or does it build on mobil and/or Maemo?

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by daemonfin View Post
Why everyone is asking questions where has been answered several times?
It helps foster tradition

Originally Posted by bazz View Post
Not sure where to post this or if its been covered, but I read someplace that MeeGo will be RPM based....I a bit bummed about this....I love my deb/Debian!
So is it good by Debian....? Not a fan of RPM
RPM = .deb, it's just a different way of installing.

Since I use openSUSE, I'm always working with RPM's, but I'm not biased and think the apt-get is actually very good.

SO its the PACKAGE manager you should be saying is no good rather than rpm/deb.

It was written on march 3rd, only a day ago on meego project website, which surely atleast makes me confident that n900 will have meego OS and sooner than we expect.

Originally Posted by rash.m2k View Post
RPM = .deb, it's just a different way of installing.

Since I use openSUSE, I'm always working with RPM's, but I'm not biased and think the apt-get is actually very good.

SO its the PACKAGE manager you should be saying is no good rather than rpm/deb.
I wouldnt say RPM=Deb. I know what the Redhat Package manager is (So yes you are correct in saying PACKAGE manager). You know what they say about first impressions. My first impressing a long time ago was not a good one. From what I hear it has come a long ways...just not a fan.

I hope they stay with deb.

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Finland
I'm planning to buy the Nokia N900 in the end of this month, but now im a bit suspicious. Is it reasonable, now that Meego and devices running it are on their way to the market?

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 261 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
rpm == 'rpm package manager'
deb == 'debian binary package format'

A deb is like an rpm, they are both binary files that have been pre-compiled for a specific computer architecture. The difference comes in the tools that manage the packages.

Debian's advantage here is that it supports a lot more architectures, has more packages, and resolves dependencies better in some cases than rpm.

Both systems are good although Debian's resolved dependencies first, rpm based systems had to wait until yum was developed before they had similar tools to apt-get.

Now rpm based systems have tools like zypper which are excellent. In some ways, rpms are easier to build for developers and debs are a little harder. But debs tend to be easier for users to install than rpms, though the difference is negligible.

The Following User Says Thank You to jeremiah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 170 | Thanked: 261 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Originally Posted by Tuukka View Post
I'm planning to buy the Nokia N900 in the end of this month, but now im a bit suspicious. Is it reasonable, now that Meego and devices running it are on their way to the market?
Sure. I think the next version of the operating system for the N900, called "Harmattan" is going to be pretty amazing. It might be a MeeGo device, but that is just a name. It will be full featured and mature, of that I am sure.

Posts: 233 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Except the MeeGo API is based on Qt (and Web Runtime), so Qt apps for Maemo 5 will work there with little effort. The rest depends on how fast MeeGo devices and Harmattan show up in the market.
Yeah, now we just need Qt apps for Maemo 5, to have something to port to MeeGo