Active Topics

I recieved my N9 about three weeks ago, and for the first week had great service/reception. For the last week and a half or so, service will just go out randomly. I live in NYC, so Tmobile coverage shouldn't be a problem.

Has anyone else had similar issues? Any suggestions? Very random, but could how I'm holding the phone have something to do with it?

Yeah same damn problem and also live in NYC. Also has a problem sometimes reconnecting to network when it randomly loses signal which forces me to reboot just to reestablish a signal.

I've noticed holding the phone toward the bottom covering both sides with your hand or sometimes known as the death grip, significantly reduces signal.

I had issues like that before--in Austin Tx. Depended on where I was too. At work the connection was iffy. But anywhere else and my connection was solid. Not all towers are the same, I guess.

Not sure if it counts but I have been having issues with T-Mobile in the uk.

People have tried to call me and I have not received any notification and vice versa, texts included. No pattern at with who/what device they are on or carrier either.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
You might want to try Simple Mobile, which uses the same network as Tmobile. I have used both and find them to be basically equivalent, but Simple Mobile is cheaper.

Apparently, per page 8 here: http://nds1.nokia.com/phones/files/g...a_N9_UG_en.pdf

the cellular antennae is at the bottom of the phone, so that could likely be why the 'death grip' kills the signal.

Mods, can we merge this thread with the following? Would love to hear if anyone else is (still) having reception issues.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=78534

thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to moose46 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
Originally Posted by moose46 View Post
Apparently, per page 8 here: http://nds1.nokia.com/phones/files/g...a_N9_UG_en.pdf

the cellular antennae is at the bottom of the phone, so that could likely be why the 'death grip' kills the signal.

Mods, can we merge this thread with the following? Would love to hear if anyone else is (still) having reception issues.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=78534

thanks!
Send me a pm reminding me to update this thread... No time right now. I have a manifesto to write about this and how I solved it.

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

The Following User Says Thank You to Arie For This Useful Post:
hahaha, pm headed your way!

Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Have this same issue. Can not make calls, missed calls, MMS do not send/receive, SMS do not send or receive. Requires re-boot. On T-Mobile using N8 and C7. Had issue in Oklahoma City, Buffalo, NY, San Jose, CA. Friend with Samsung Galaxy also experiencing this issue on T-Mobile. I get a small lock icon on the active call window when the network reduces my devices to this state. As I do not have a voice line ( data only) on my N900 and I am usually near my home wifi when using it, I do not know if the problem includes the N900.

Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
Ok so this issue has plagued me since the start of my N9 ownership. This problem existed from PR1.0 for me and it drove me nuts.

I was on pr005 from Australia.

I decide for pr1.3 to flash to pr001 global, which is vanilla. I also got a new micro-sim from t-mobile.

At this point My service is better on my N9 than any other phone I have.

This seems to be the way to go... Also if you're looking for only 3g service it's very hit or miss everywhere. If you set it on dual or gsm, it's solid as a rock.

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

The Following User Says Thank You to Arie For This Useful Post: