Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Oh god.
Originally Posted by some clueless dude
I've seen this play that and that play this, so the truth is that bla bla bla".
No.
The truth is as GrimyHR said.
Decoding of a video stream can be done:
- By hardware, ie by the GSP chip. In such case, the chip can decode smoothly anything it has been crafted for, almost independently from the CPU/GPU power. To add new formats, you need to change the chip (ie you can't). The N9's DSP can do h264 decoding up to 720p base profile, and nothing more, it is written in its specs.
- By software, ie using a codec. In such case, you are limited by CPU power. A dual core 1.5GHz Atom CPU cannot even handle 720p, so there's no way you will get the N9 CPU to do it (nor any other embeded ARM soc probably). With the good codecs, the N9 could display HD videos, but certainly not above 5 fps, which would make it completely useless.

Conclusion: no 1080p video on the N9, end of discussion.

Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE View Post
808 Pureview wants a word with you
Yeah...

my 808 could play some 1080p WMA that my PC (AMD A-6 + ATI 6750) struggled with in VLC (Media player did fine here), and some core i5 didn't have the horse power to run on any player.

The Following User Says Thank You to jotoco For This Useful Post:
Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
Originally Posted by jotoco View Post
Yeah...

my 808 could play some 1080p WMA that my PC (AMD A-6 + ATI 6750) struggled with in VLC (Media player did fine here), and some core i5 didn't have the horse power to run on any player.
A 1.3 ghz cpu , a pretty capable gpu & a dedicated camera cpu along with the optimised S/W (Symbian) do the trick.

Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
I dont give a s**t bout 1080p, can we dream bout 720pall profile?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ibrakalifa For This Useful Post:
nitdroid plays hd vids much better then harmattan. In harmattsn they dont even start but in nitdroid it does play hd but with some stutter. So better support in harmattan seems to be possible.

I will try more in Nitdroid to see what vids work and does not.

Last edited by Sniper_swe; 2012-08-24 at 13:29.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sniper_swe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by ibrakalifa View Post
I dont give a s**t bout 1080p, can we dream bout 720pall profile?
Possibly, if you're very good at writting SoC drivers, or have enough money to convince them to port these ones. (N9 has OMAP3630 Processor with IVA 2+ video chip)

99.999% a dream though.

The Following User Says Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
So it is possible, by combining CPU + DSP power. They even have a GStreamer plug-in, so it says. But I wonder what this will do with energy consumption, as not only the optimized DSP is used but CPU as well...

Yeah also realized nitdroid plays most vids. I have to play them in the mob player app though using software decoding.