Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
An interesting article: http://www.androidcentral.com/nfc-sh...indows-phone-8

One comment there says:

S3 uses s beam which uses wifi direct while the rest of androids use android beam which uses Bluetooth (s beam is faster because wifi direct is faster than Bluetooth ) you hav to specifically turn on the android beam in the s3 to be able to send
the comment is a response to:

Nice I just wish we could send files across the Android platform to different OS versions. Ex. My Gnex running JB wont play nice with the gf's S3 on ICS sending anything.

Edit: Maybe a more informative/reliable thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1843797

Last edited by thedead1440; 2012-11-27 at 10:53.

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
I'm using nfc to transfer photos from N9 to Nexus 7 with no problem. Sometimes the bluetooth transfer does not start, but all other times it works. What I dislike is the need to conferm every time the transfer on the Nexus 7 side.

The Following User Says Thank You to gionni88 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Android Beam was introduced in Jelly Bean. That's why Samsung made S Beam, and why the person mentioned (GNex vs S3) failed to transfer stuff.
There's no standard way to send large files. NFC's payloads are very small. Open the browser on an S3, open a site and tap the N9, it'll send a bookmark, but when it comes to photos, each manufacturer does it their own way.
(S Beam uses Wi-Fi Direct, it's an open standard by Wi-Fi Alliance that can be used in devices that support it. It's not related to Android)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 216 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Mars
Woah MAG! Long time no see

The Following User Says Thank You to ThraxZzz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 566 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Lower Saxony
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
An interesting article: http://www.androidcentral.com/nfc-sh...indows-phone-8

One comment there says:

the comment is a response to:

Edit: Maybe a more informative/reliable thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1843797
That is correct. S3 with Jelly Bean can use both S Beam and Android Beam.

For File transfer between my N900 and my S3 I use Scp. Andftp Pro on the S3.
Normal manually initiated Bluetooth works too, but a bit slow.
Kies Air also works well if one doesn't like scp.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
MAG,

The xda link above has someone transferring files of upto 250MB from one SGS3 to N7 so I don't think that NFC can't handle larger files...

That reminds me, I should try my SGS2 running JB and my N9 and see can that huge file actually go thru...

Posts: 158 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Timisoara, Romania
Originally Posted by MohammadAG View Post
but when it comes to photos, each manufacturer does it their own way
+1

I try to transfer photos N9 -> S3 and S3 -> N9, both S Beam and Android Beam failed.
And if you want to use N9 hot-spot and try to connect to N9 with a Samsung (phone or tablet), they also failed, because Sammy do not know ad-hoc (plenny of this situation on JoikuSpot site

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
MAG,

The xda link above has someone transferring files of upto 250MB from one SGS3 to N7 so I don't think that NFC can't handle larger files...

That reminds me, I should try my SGS2 running JB and my N9 and see can that huge file actually go thru...
NFC itself can't. S Beam, Android Beam, and the N9 only use NFC to do a "handshake", the files are then transferred using either Bluetooth or WiFi direct.

S Beam seems like a simple protocol actually, it sends some JSON data over NFC containing the path to a file and the mac address of the device. The other device connects to this address using Wi-Fi direct and pulls the file.

The Following User Says Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by gionni88 View Post
I'm using nfc to transfer photos from N9 to Nexus 7 with no problem. Sometimes the bluetooth transfer does not start, but all other times it works. What I dislike is the need to conferm every time the transfer on the Nexus 7 side.
Communication between N9 and N7 is too flakey. It seems like they can't be near each other for long enough. Both make some mating sounds but the transfer rarely begins. I managed to start the transfer once and it never completed.

Sending from the N7 to the N9 seems even more difficult.

However, communication between N9's or N9's and 701's is perfect. Just a slight touch and your photo is over the air.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 355 | Thanked: 245 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Northern VA
What about a N9 and a Lumia 920, they beep and recognize but are unable to transfer anything.

The Following User Says Thank You to ZackMorris For This Useful Post: