Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
It finally happened. Ballmer on his way out, Elop still inexplicably in as CEO of Nokia. Windows Phone a flop, Windows 8 RT a bigger flop.

And now... for 7.17 Billion - 2 Billion for patents alone, Microsoft purchases Nokia and Elop is set to rejoin Microsoft.

The deal down at AllthingsD and the official Nokia press release here...

Wow.

Not unexpected. Ballmer stepped down, Nokia is the only serious manufacturer of WP8 devices, they needed Nokia to continue their plan of getting into mobile domain...

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Florida
Well, I certainly hope the predictions of an SEC investigation ("if it ever were to happen") come true. To say this wasn't obvious from the start of his bumbling/sabotage would be beyond absurd.

No-one who can achieve a CEO position in any company should ever be capable of making the horrible decisions Elop made. Every time I saw him speak, every time I read of his speeches, I was stunned at how he would repeatedly shoot Nokia in the foot. NO CEO should EVER state how crappy their products are, how they're ending support for them and no-one should buy them, etc. "Wait for the next product line.", etc. This is the polar opposite of what successful companies do... just look at Apple - they don't want you to know when the new product is coming, or what its details are as they don't want to lose your _current_ business.

Ugh... I'll stop ranting, I know I'm not saying anything new... I just hope jailtime is involved in this one as this has been criminal in a way that's obvious to the entire planet.

Expect patent trolling to reach new heights...

Of all times to do this, why now? Nokia was dirt cheap at one point.

I'm pretty sad, but they had a good run. Thank you, all the employees that worked on making cool devices for us to use.

Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Expect patent trolling to reach new heights...
Bingo. I was halfway expecting another press release from Ballmer stating that now Microsoft has the patent on cellphones. All cellphones.

Oh, get this... Elop has stepped down as CEO, is now the Executive VP of Devices and Services... so he can transition back to his home... erm, Microsoft.

SEC won't touch this one. Damn shame too.

I wish this could be stopped on some antitrust grounds. MS does not need more tools to stifle competition.

ballmer stepped down. great timing for MS. Nokia.. what a mess.

So, Gates finally decided to buy finland and get nokia as an extra, heh.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
This comes on as no surprise really. The track record of Microsoft is clear and unbroken; all companies partnering with MS will get the short end of the stick eventually.

Either they will be bought out by MS or their business trashed & ruined.

Now I am curious about the Nokia name though. Will the current networks business be able to continue as Nokia Solutions and Networks or does this somehow affect it too?