Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Jolla should launch a 48h campagin in a few days to get some of that refunded Ubuntu money. Lots of customers have $695 to spend on tech. If they are launching a smart campaign with a great price, they could get lots of new customers.
Both phone platforms are based on Linux and QML/Qt, but other than that there are very different propositions, so I don't know if Edge backers are also interested in the Jolla device.
Canonical focuses on:
  • generic OS for desktop, phone and tablet
  • phone can be used as desktop computer
  • high-end hardware

Jolla:
  • phone OS only
  • best phone experience possible (UI focused on phone-screen-size, android application compatibility etc.)
  • individualized hardware (switchable covers, different colors etc.)

If I would classify, than the Edge is more similar to the N900 and the Jolla phone more like the N9 in design philosophy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
Both phone platforms are based on Linux and QML/Qt, but other than that there are very different propositions, so I don't know if Edge backers are also interested in the Jolla device.
Canonical focuses on:
  • generic OS for desktop, phone and tablet
  • phone can be used as desktop computer
  • high-end hardware

Jolla:
  • phone OS only
  • best phone experience possible (UI focused on phone-screen-size, android application compatibility etc.)
  • individualized hardware (switchable covers, different colors etc.)

If I would classify, than the Edge is more similar to the N900 and the Jolla phone more like the N9 in design philosophy.
Sailfish with Mer could very well work on Tablet market too.

What Jolla had said is that right now sailfishos UI is fokus on phone, or more exact Jollas first phone. Now compare that with Canonical who says "hey we have something that will work everywhere" but actually Canonical has only showed a solid working desktop platform (ubuntu that is). And then some alpha touchOS that is far from ready compared to what the jolla engineers has shown so far.

I still do NOT beleive Canonical can show a fully working touchOS with stable HW in May next year. What they will show is a halfbacked hw prototype with cool design.

Mark is just good marketing guy. Jolla has the better embedded engineers ut not as good marketing team...

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-08-18 at 20:25.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Have I missed something? I've been looking for all the Sailfish info I could find and there has been precious little. Mostly speculation from others who also know less than they'd like to. I don't need guru-level marketing from Jolla, but more communication would be nice.

I backed Ubuntu Edge before Sailfish phone because the vision is more appealing. I want a superphone. I want the Formula One vision the Edge attempted. Who can dare to deliver that? I hear doubts and complaints, but who is the man in the arena actually trying to make things happen?

I worry that the sensitivity of Jolla to address the middle range and price point puts creation of a superphone outside of their capabilities, but a solid device that works well might still attract my dollar.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
42 hours left. Just need another $20,000,000 + ...

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
42 hours left. Just need another $20,000,000 + ...
A rate of 10 Mil a day.
Should contact some Saudi Nobles.

I'm flattered

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Hi everyone
We’re into the last 48 hours!

You’ve all been fantastic, keeping the conversation going from the initial launch rush right through to this final push.In the last few days we’ve had the*Thunderclap, which co-ordinated 1,848 tweets and Facebook posts about the Edge to go out simultaneously to your hundreds of thousands of people.CNET UK went hands-on with the Edge*and Ubuntu for Android here in the Canonical offices, coming away with a very positive impression.

And we got an unexpected boost from Ubuntu user Stephen Fry, who pledged for an Edge and urged his 6 million Twitter followers to do the same. Thanks Stephen!

There’s still time to get involved, so let’s give it one final push and see how much we can add to that amazing total.Keep sharing!

The Ubuntu Edge team

Campaign page: http://igg.me/at/ubuntuedge/x/4036946

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-08-20 at 17:19.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
This morning the Ubuntu Edge passed the $10,266,845 raised by the Pebble smar****ch to become the world’s biggest ever fixed crowdfunding campaign.
But to be crowd-funded, you have to actually produce a product. Pebble actually made it, it exists. While I'd love to see the Edge come about (I'm on the list), at this point unless someone with lots of bucks steps in and slams a large offer on the table, it's not happening. And while you can tout that you raised lots of money, if you didn't actually take it and create the product people are throwing money at you to buy... It's just not the same thing.

Personally, I'd love to see some multi-millionare (Gates, Buffett, Walton, etc) step up and drop the funding needed in the last hour. I could see Gates doing it just to distract the Ubuntu mothership for a while to buy time for him to clean up the Win8 mess. But frankly, I'm not that hopeful. More sad really.

On the up-side, it's shown that there is a market out there for such a device, even at the high dollar mark it was at (considering many pledges were well above the current mark until they changed to the bulk rate). It may spark a real manufacturer to push for a more open high-spec device.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Last chance to support this campaign. Last call.!

Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
The Edge may die on the drawing board but I feel the concept will be brought to the market by a big manufactor's own "Edge", soon (they are watching this campaign).

$12,000,000

This is probably the last million update for this campaign....
Unless you have a free million for the Campaign page:*http://igg.me/at/ubuntuedge/x/4036946

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post: