Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
As everyone are asking for different form factor devices and everyone wants something different. Why not take the TOH idea a little bit further. Check the C.H.I.P. (there is even thread on TMO) and the PocketC.H.I.P. Basically you can have some "soul" part (like chip) that can be connected into different HW (see it as PocketC.H.I.P.) and everyone gets what he wants with single board and various extensions(to netbook, tablet, phone and etc).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Trackpoint! Trackpoint!

As I was saying this is one of the things the microPCs got right. It is surprisingly usable one-handed (for anything other than a right click), even for pointing into microscopic sized web links (where capacitive screens suck at or required two hands). I even made a small X program that would scroll the current active focused window if you tried to move the mouse past the edge of the screen.
I'd be okay with an N810 if it had modern hardware. I never quite understood trackpoints.

Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
I'm sorry if this is offtopic/irrelevant, but if you need to be productive and do work while traveling on a public transport you should seriously take a look at your life and your priorities...

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to herpderp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
I'm sorry if this is offtopic/irrelevant, but if you need to be productive and do work while traveling on a public transport you should seriously take a look at your life and your priorities...
Why? Maybe you'd prefer I'd just waste an hour or two per day doing nothing instead?

There's people out there who actually enjoy what they do for work.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Of course, but a public transport is far from ideal for any mental work. Maybe read a book or listen to some music while commuting?
I just can't imagine doing any serious work that is so noisy and moving etc.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to herpderp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
I'm not sure what to do if Jolla drop Adroid support. on one side I would be sad, because there are some apps which I really don't want to miss: Offline wikipedia, Proper Offline Navigation and it gives you some flexibility. So yes, as long as the ecosystem isn't really big I would defintely miss the Android support.
I think the android support is more of a hindrance than a help tbh.

Some of the apps you mentioned (like offline wikipedia) don't seem like they would take a long time to create for sailfish, but the availability of android alternatives means there's less motivation to write one.

This leads to the "sailfish has no apps" complaint. Meanwhile, people are getting a worse experience running android apps within Sailfish (two completely different interfaces) and are constantly reminded that they could just cut out the hacky alien dalvik and use android directly. At the same time, Jolla picks up flak for all the imperfections in AD, and spends a lot of time fixing them (which also raises complaints).

I don't see the sense in relying on non-free Android support to be part of the Sailfish experience when it could stop working pretty quickly if Jolla stop developing it. Not saying I don't understand why individuals use it, but it's basically a tragedy of the commons - we'd all be better off in the end if nobody used it.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Of course, but a public transport is far from ideal for any mental work. Maybe read a book or listen to some music while commuting?
what if that "serious work" is actually more entertaining than reading a book?

i am not saying everyone should love what they work on, nor that I do. but if they do, why the artificial barriers?

P.s. and I consider this fully on topic, since it is the main raison d'ętre for the entire "mobile computing" thing: to be able to do stuff on the go.

I wrote this while on public transport...

Last edited by javispedro; 2015-11-25 at 21:00.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
There are plenty of us that can problem solve at a high level under many different conditions, sometimes in the form of daydreaming. It's core to our person. You don't sound like one of those.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Speak for yourself. Perhaps it's a knack you develop but I've been known to switch off from others for hours on trains. Some of my best work has been coding on long train journeys, especially if there's no wifi to interrupt.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 664 | Thanked: 1,648 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Hamburg
There's a lot to happen while you're on a Train...
Current Maemo Community Council member

The Following User Says Thank You to Win7Mac For This Useful Post:

Tags
brainfiction, brainstorming, fiction, jolla or iphone, neigh!, unicorn device