Just wondering, has anyone running Debian tried running Wayland/Weston? Wondering if it works and what performance is like.

The Following User Says Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
Just wondering, has anyone running Debian tried running Wayland/Weston? Wondering if it works and what performance is like.
I could have sworn that someone somewhere on TMO said that they got Wayland working but I can't for the life of me find it now.

I'm sorry to report that there hasn't been a lot of progress lately. I'm back down to only one fully working N900. About a week after I received my second one, my primary one fell on the floor and damaged the screen (no output) so I replaced it with the one from my spare. I'll buy a new display once I've managed to open the body but I managed to grind the screw. :/ I guess I need to drill it out.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

i've seen screenshots of wayland on Mer, but no videos to judge performance. just wondered as i've been looking into customised weston shell as a possible replacement for hildon-desktop's matchbox backend.

when i find a cheap, deent condition n900 i'll snap it up to try myself. like you i only have 1 as my daily so can't afford to mess around too much with it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
What about joining https://github.com/dyne/arm-sdk ? It took me a couple of hours (while I got used to the sdk) to build a devuan n900 image with LXDE up and running. I was a kind of promised by the maintainer that building "custom" packages will come soon(tm), so in theory we can use that for building a maemo derivative.

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
What about joining https://github.com/dyne/arm-sdk ? It took me a couple of hours (while I got used to the sdk) to build a devuan n900 image with LXDE up and running. I was a kind of promised by the maintainer that building "custom" packages will come soon(tm), so in theory we can use that for building a maemo derivative.
I wasn't aware of its existence. Thanks, it looks very interesting. Maybe I should pop into #devuan on Freenode and have a chat with them. I've actually lately been boostrapping from the Devuan package repositories rather than Debian as it had been becoming more and more difficult to maintain a systemd-less installation. So much for their "Universal Operating System" claim.

Devuan for N950 and N9.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Hello,

I've build a devuan image with the arm-sdk and managed to boot it via u-boot. But at the point "Free unused kernel memory" it hangs and suddenly the power turns off.

Did anyone managed to boot devuan on a N900? Any ideas?

(I get the same behavior with the image from https://files.devuan.org/devuan_jessie_beta/embedded/)

I've still not tried Devuan from their official arm-sdk, nor have I tried the image that they provide. I'd suggest contacting them on IRC or via the mailing list for support as this thread for a different project.

I am running Devuan on my N900 but I used my scripts to install it. It runs fine and I don't get any hangs. If you want to try it using my scripts, simply set the MIRROR variable to http://packages.devuan.org/merged/ instead of the Debian repository.

Devuan for N950 and N9.

Last edited by wicket; 2017-02-11 at 15:38.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
I tried that way for debain and devuan. I also tried 3 different SD cards, but u-boot always shows
"** File not found /boot/uInitrd-4.7.0-rc4+ **"

I executed configure_u-boot.sh via ssh on the n900, so no copy/paste mistake was made. The SD card was formatted with 1 ext4 partition.

Originally Posted by mrx37 View Post
Hello,

I've build a devuan image with the arm-sdk and managed to boot it via u-boot. But at the point "Free unused kernel memory" it hangs and suddenly the power turns off.

Did anyone managed to boot devuan on a N900? Any ideas?

(I get the same behavior with the image from https://files.devuan.org/devuan_jessie_beta/embedded/)
Take a look at http://wiki.maemo.org/Devuan_on_N900. I had the same issue when using a kernel with the watchdogs in the modules, no initrd, and udev. What happens (in my case): no initrd, so when udev starts the loopback lo is not mounted; udev starts net.agent, which waits for lo and hangs the system for a while; that while is enough for the kernel to timeout (due to the absence of watchdogs - I admit I don't know this particular in detail) and call a system halt. Problem solved by building the watchdogs in the kernel; then you get a 30 seconds hang, but at last the system boots. If you also manage to get rid of udev (with all the cons this causes) you also get rid of the 30 seconds hang.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enrico Menotti For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
I could have sworn that someone somewhere on TMO said that they got Wayland working but I can't for the life of me find it now.
Found it. This was a long time ago so Wayland on Debian should have improved since then. There are now 4 supported desktop environments.

In related news, it seems that penguinphone, which was going to be ported to Wayland/Sway, is no more.

Devuan for N950 and N9.

Tags
debian, debian900, devuan, maemo 7