Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
Presumably if I wanted to hide the applet I could just delete the /usr/share/applications/hildon-control-panel/cpcherry.desktop file? Or would I need to delete /usr/lib/hildon-control-panel/libcpcherry.so too?
Just the desktop file'd be enough.

If you're paranoid, however, delete the so file too as it can be ran outside of Control Panel through osso_cp_plugin_execute().

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Nokia have responded to the Community Council on this:

http://maemo.org/community/council/n...tion_in_pr1-2/

...and the post gets auto-posted here: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=57214

Last edited by Jaffa; 2010-06-26 at 20:44.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Nokia have responded to the Community Council on this:

http://maemo.org/community/council/n...tion_in_pr1-2/

...and the post gets auto-posted here: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=57214
incredible. it's very much in line with quim's initial comment on the bug report though. they've lost touch with us.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Many thanks to the Community Council for pushing this issue.

I'm very disappointed in Nokia's response. I'm not sure why they spend a paragraph saying that the N900 is a mobile computer as that seems completely irrelevant. None of my other computers need to send an SMS or indeed any message over the Internet before I can use them.

In the second para they say the user may like to get support texts. Well, this user respects his privacy and does not wish to receive such texts. From what I've heard, the texts are pretty useless anyway. For me, unsubscribing later is not good enough. I don't want to ever subscribe in the first place.

They have also not responded to the issue of whether a user is under age.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Just checked my recent bill with WindMobile (Canada). As much as I hoped that my phone did not have a problem with this notorious SMS, it was there... - two SMS messages sent to 491771787772 number, with the total cost of $0.30.

As many of you, I did not subscribe or legally obliged to subscribe for any hidden services. The latest reply from Nokia suggests that automatic (and often costly) message sending was not a mere bug but rather an intentional coding. Nokia, therefore did officially take full responsibility for such reckless and perhaps illegal action.
Although the community can find their own methods to prevent this messages to be sent, such as by notmynokia scripts by Graham Cobb's, it is still responsibility of Nokia to

1) Apologize
2) Reimburse
3) Quickly provide an official patch / remove the culprit "cherry" code

As I do not have any desire to pay for such messages in the future, and it does not seem that Nokia's managers realize all damaging consequences of their actions, for the moment I am planning to notify the Best Business Bureau of this case, also referencing this forum. I suggest that all other N900 users in North America do the same. The more complaints BBB will receive, the more pressure will be on Nokia, the sooner they realize that the class action lawsuit may not be that far.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kiralema For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,154 | Thanked: 2,186 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Hellsinki, Finland
I have also reflashed my device four times after PR1.2 and every time I'm being charged for those SMS -messages. Kind of sucks. When I have time and motivation I will write a letter to Nokia and demand them to give back my money spent on those SMSs.

Edit: and also demand them to provide me device that won't charge me anything unless I want to.

80's style stadium rock is back - FIRENOTE
Hi-Octane heavy metal - FORCE MAJEURE

Last edited by d-iivil; 2010-06-28 at 09:17.

Posts: 79 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
Not sure if this has been asked before but I'm wondering who's getting the cash generated by the premium number SMSes - puny though this may be, if you multiply it by the number of devices out there plus a few unfortunate "unable to unsubscribe" attempts, this might add up to something...

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by sxc View Post
Not sure if this has been asked before but I'm wondering who's getting the cash generated by the premium number SMSes - puny though this may be, if you multiply it by the number of devices out there plus a few unfortunate "unable to unsubscribe" attempts, this might add up to something...
yes, something for operators that is...
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 79 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
yes, something for operators that is...
Quite often, there is some sort of revenue sharing with the owner of the target premium number. Wouldn't this be the case here?

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by sxc View Post
Quite often, there is some sort of revenue sharing with the owner of the target premium number. Wouldn't this be the case here?
the operators take lions share of all those. I'd guess that nokia gets nothing but it doesn't have to pay anything either.

or how large are the charges? haven't got any so I have no clue... but if we are talking sums below one euro there is nothing to be shared with nokia because operators take their cut first...
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search