Posts: 44 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ The Netherlands
Hello, my apologies if this is discussed elsewhere but I couldn't find a thread with this problem.

Lately my N9 is shutting off for no reason what so ever, suddenly the led goes on and the black screen with the Nokia emblem slides in and it's over. sometimes it's in a startup loop and sometimes it'll start normally. This problem is normally preceded by the lock and low power screen appearing and disappearing without me touching the phone. If anyone has any way for this fellow Meego user to get his phone back to normal, I would be very grateful.

thanks in advance!

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I don't know anything about your particular problem but I had a few cases of the screen locking and unlocking randomly without me touching it. I eventually traced it down to moisture condensing inside the phone. This was on the N900 not N9 so your problem may be completely unrelated but if it started happening after e.g. using the phone in the bath then you might have a chance to fix it by drying it out properly.

Either that or your battery is on its last leg. Have you noticed a drop in the battery life?

Posts: 446 | Thanked: 207 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Austria/Germany
check the log files! maybe you find something there...
(you can post the latest entries)

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I don't know anything about your particular problem but I had a few cases of the screen locking and unlocking randomly without me touching it. I eventually traced it down to moisture condensing inside the phone. This was on the N900 not N9 so your problem may be completely unrelated but if it started happening after e.g. using the phone in the bath then you might have a chance to fix it by drying it out properly.

Either that or your battery is on its last leg. Have you noticed a drop in the battery life?
It hasn't been near water I had the same thing with another phone that i'd use as a bathroom speaker occasionally, I learned from that experience..

The Phone does act the same as it would do when the battery runs out but the battery is full, I ordered a new one hoping it might fix the issue, I would reflash but it says not to attempt it when you don't really know what you're doing (I have minor Ubuntu command experience, but it's not really enough and this is my only phone in my possession I would actually like to use, so yeah).

Originally Posted by mcbook View Post
check the log files! maybe you find something there...
(you can post the latest entries)
Could you tell me where to find said log files? There's is much I don't know, I shamefully admit.

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
You may do a simple
Code:
dmesg
in x-term and post output to pastebin or attach as file here.
For getting a file do
Code:
dmesg > /home/user/MyDocs/dmesg.txt
Or/and check also contents of
/var/log/syslog
Code:
cp /var/log/syslog /home/user/MyDocs/syslog.txt

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Tags
nokia n9, sudden shut off, troubleshooting