Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
I believe that fremantle-1.3 is a mirror of fremantle, because the timestamps on fremantle-1.3 tend to be slightly later.
By memory alone, there was advice by someone knowledgeable to use fremantle rather than fremantle-1.3, as the latter was a legacy arrangement.

My repos are set as such on this basis, having formerly been fremantle-1.3.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
A complete and easy to find (!) ´how-to-completely-setup-a-fresh/empty/new-flashed N900´ would be amazing. Now mine works for 3 or 4 months, but before that there was something wrong and I reflashed it...it took hours to get all the informations how to setup repos and so on...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Micha1982 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 180 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ New Delhi, DELHI, INDIA
Originally Posted by Micha1982 View Post
A complete and easy to find (!) ´how-to-completely-setup-a-fresh/empty/new-flashed N900´ would be amazing. Now mine works for 3 or 4 months, but before that there was something wrong and I reflashed it...it took hours to get all the informations how to setup repos and so on...
I believe you are right. Also, they should update "https://wiki.maemo.org/N900_The_Perfect_Setup" with some more info. And maybe more detailed.

The repo confusion struck me because I too want to reflash my N900.

The Following User Says Thank You to princefakhan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Hi,

I hope you don't mind me jumping in. I'm a bit confused regarding Nokia/Microsoft ending support for the N900 and how this affects the repos that should be enabled.

Judging by the output of apt-get update, all of the repos at nokia.com are no longer working - is this correct?

So I've disabled "Nokia Applications", "Nokia System Software Updates" and "Ovi", leaving "maemo.org" and "Community SSU" enabled (I installed CSSU stable).

Thanks,

Sam

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Dublin, Ireland
Bad move, you should always keep them enabled. Try doing so and updating again.

Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
Hi,

I hope you don't mind me jumping in. I'm a bit confused regarding Nokia/Microsoft ending support for the N900 and how this affects the repos that should be enabled.

Judging by the output of apt-get update, all of the repos at nokia.com are no longer working - is this correct?

So I've disabled "Nokia Applications", "Nokia System Software Updates" and "Ovi", leaving "maemo.org" and "Community SSU" enabled (I installed CSSU stable).

Thanks,

Sam

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to burwat292596 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by burwat292596 View Post
Bad move, you should always keep them enabled. Try doing so and updating again.
Thanks, could you explain why though? I would have thought it doesn't matter if there's never any data retrieved.

Sam

The Following User Says Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
Thanks, could you explain why though? I would have thought it doesn't matter if there's never any data retrieved.

Sam
I'd like to know too.
Thanks.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lancewex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Dublin, Ireland
I am not smart enough to know why (especially having recently bricked my little friend and lost everything - note to self re backups), but have read it on here previously. Probably truth in the dependency hell mentioned earlier, there are blobs there that keep the backround alive/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burwat292596 For This Useful Post:
Yeah but those blobs aren't going to be removed when you remove the repository, they just won't be updated... but they wouldn't have been updated anyway since the repo doesn't exist!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
The Nokia repositories still exist and are essential for your phone's wellbeing. DO NOT disable them! The errors you see when running apt-get update and friends mean that the security certificates on those repositories have expired. We just have to live with that, no one is ever going to renew them.

In fact it is better not to remind Nokia/Microsoft about that; I suspect that the repositories are alive only because they forgot to switch them off. Before they do switch them off, better make yourself a backup like this:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...48#post1455848

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

Tags
fremantle repos, maemo repos, repositories, repository