Active Topics

hi,

my n900 randomly crashes/shuts down and i can't seem able to figure out the reason. it's possible this has been happening to my device for a long time, but only in the past month or so i notice it daily.

most times it happens while the phone is in standby: when i unlock it, i realise it's in fact off. today however it happened while I was playing music with Mediabox.

can anyone help me in figuring what the reason for this is? i don't have extra-devel enabled, and don't install much stuff. I fear it might be a defective device, but would like to learn how to troubleshoot.

thanks

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Already answered in the other thread. You do have a better chance on a new thread, though. IMO, service it.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Change the flag enable_off_mode to 0 in /etc/pmconfig. Anyway it's not a fix, but it might be able to workaround your problem.

Also, check the spring that hold your battery in place. The spring is known be to weak.

Hi,

An update on my problem.
I managed to understand what is the trigger of the random shutdowns.

For some reason, the phone crashes "sometimes" when losing reception, if I enter an area where there is no signal. This doesn't require it to be performing any specific operation. Yesterday, it happened as I was opening a text message I had just received.

It used to happen much more last month, as I was using the phone in 3G-only network mode. Now that I have it set to dual, it's much rarer, but still happens sometimes, if I'm driving through an area with no signal. It doesn't happen all of the time, though.

I wonder if this is software, or hardware driven. Any idea?

The Following User Says Thank You to maemomatic For This Useful Post:
This problem used to happen with the first firmware that the N900 was shipped with and was fixed in the next firmware update.

To find out why your device is rebooting, in XTerm type
Code:
cat /proc/bootreason
If you are running PR1.2 and you are getting alot of reboots do as ndi says and take it back to Nokia for a service, it's likely it will get replaced.

Finally I assume you are NOT overclocking your device, as this is likely to cause random reboots as not all CPUs can be overclocked..

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
you could also try at xterm:
Code:
cat /proc/bootreason
pwr_key is the normal output of that command.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
Code:
cat /proc/bootreason
Thanks.
When the phone shuts down, it doesn't reboot. I have to reboot it normally, therefore I get pwr_key as output.

It's very strange that no one seems to experience the same problem. I thought about reflashing, but then I've seen so many people introducing new problems with the reflash - I can't afford the risk.

any experience with nokia repair/substitution time in the uk?

Originally Posted by maemomatic View Post
I thought about reflashing, but then I've seen so many people introducing new problems with the reflash - I can't afford the risk.

any experience with nokia repair/substitution time in the uk?
Flashing is not so bad, once you have done it you will wonder what the fear was.
If you think flashing might help, do a backup and give it a try.
If you are thinking of sending the phone back to Nokia, you may as well do a reflash as you have nothing to loose even if it goes wrong.
I sent mine back as it lost it's IEMI number and I could no longer make calls, it was a very long 2 weeks before getting a replacement device.

i had similar problem with one of n900 i had.

battery contacts were spread too far apart and it would lose contact.

took a little screwdriver and bent battery contacts inward a bit

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Bangalore, India
First of all, much thanks to maemomatic for starting this post. I have been facing similar problems! In fact today morning my phone restarted like 10 times in an hour.

The restarting happens in many situations, some being while:
1. i am on a call!
2. playing music
3. browsing
4. unlocking the phone

etc. etc. etc.

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
Code:
cat /proc/bootreason
I never have a pwr_key as the output on reboots. It is always

Code:
$ cat /proc/bootreason
sw_rst
Help is appritiated on the same. Please do reply ASAP.

PS: I have tried all possible hacks to prevent the reboot, even re-flashed the eMMC but no luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to avinashtjoshi For This Useful Post: