Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
There is now a new version 2010.06.26 of MediaBox Media Center available in extras-testing for N900 and extras for N800 and N810.

It's somewhat a small premiere.
As far as I know, MediaBox is the first 3rd party media player on the N900 to support the Maemo MAFW framework for media playback.
MediaBox is also the first media player written in Python to use MAFW for playback. Of course my code for using MAFW is open for anyone to use in their Python programs.

Using MAFW on the N900 has some benefits. For instance, audio will play in silent mode and doesn't stutter while locking the screen. And you are able to control the volume with the hardware keys while the screen is locked (this requires Maemo5 PR 1.2).

In case you prefer mplayer over MAFW, and have mplayer installed on your device, you can use it as media backend as well. Or just use plain GStreamer as before. The backend to use is configurable per media type.
On the N8x0, the available backends are OSSO Media Server (the predecessor of MAFW), mplayer, and GStreamer.

How do you normally get music onto your device? Now you can browse your UPnP media shares and download whole folders with their media contents onto the device. YouTube videos can be copied to the device, too, and MediaBox manages all this with the new download manager component.

There have also been made some (a lot) performance improvements in the new version, and the handy sleep timer from the 0.96.x series of MediaBox is back.

Enjoy, and please don't forget to vote for the package if you're using it from extras-testing on the N900!
Attached Images

Last edited by pycage; 2010-06-27 at 16:22.

The Following 175 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
412b, 7thd, activate2010, acvetkov, Addison, ahmoda, ajjara, AkiL, Aladan, alexff, AlMehdi, amezri, amk332, Andy1210, angelbratz, antezz, antoarts, apollovy, Ard_, arjunkumar87, arnest, bigears5000, BlackDiamond, Blue Turtle, bobbydoedoe, Bratag, bunanson, Bundyo, buurmas, ceevee, ceroberts75, Chrome, clearorca, Corwin, cr0c0, Crashdamage, crazy_agent, cstryon, CutterSlade, D4rKlar, dana.s, daperl, dashti, datjomp, dave73, Den in USA, Dima202, Dousan, ed00, edgar2, eiraku, El Amir, elimoon8, erniadeldesktop, Estel, F2thaK, fatalsaint, fpp, gabby131, gazza_d, gjoe, God_Lx, gold_dragon, gs1, HammY, hannu.mikkola, hardkorek, heavyt, HellFlyer, HtheB, humvee28, iceman600, icke, inkirby, Ismaboy, jacktanner, jakiman, james174, jaysire, jcharpak, jedi, jessi3k3, jkq, joelus, John McClane, jurop88, juven69, jwernerny, kamil365, kevloral, klinglerware, kmare, labra, Laughing Man, leetut, lemmyslender, lkravovicz, lolloo, louispires, lunatik, Maettu, Magik, maguitodelrock, Maj3stic, makel, Mara, Marklar, mase, mayhem, Metalfox, moepda, moja, Mr. Incredible, MyNokiaN900, myrjola, nad6234, nashith, Natan_xy, Nathan, nax3000, netAdept, niche, nightfire, nikolajhendel, NvyUs, pantera1989, pekkis, PhonoN900, qwerty12, rabarkar, racky, RAZOR, reinob, rnb89, rustler, ryo1st, s33, sadfist, scribbles, scyzor, sdixit, sdstrowes, sela, Sin, sinaisix, sirloon, skalogre, Skaven2k2, slaapliedje, smoothc, Snoshrk, solkari, somekeystrokes, spoonbuddy, Stealth131, stone17, strange1712, Strawman, stushez, tangs, Texrat, thegate, ThomasAH, Tomaszd, travik, traysh, Veix, visN900, vivainio, vivmak, windows7, wolverine, wow23, Zekahz
Posts: 172 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
Thank you, this is awesome just updated.

Wish I could spam that "Thanks!" button on the post.

Really nice stuff once again !

One really really minor (and insignificant) improvement I can suggest is adding the download speed to the Active Downloads, but like I said, really minor and not important at all...

And does MAFW support external subtitles for video ?

Switching the backend to mplayer they run perfectly has expected

Last edited by God_Lx; 2010-06-27 at 14:26.

The youtube implementation is superb!

Thanks for this.

Thanks!

I had some issues with the previous versions, but it seems like all these issues are resolved in this new version. Works much better now. I think I'll make MediaBox my default media player.

One small issue I spotted with the YouTube player: when tapping the progress bar to fast forward the video, it just restarts the video instead of going forward.

BTW: Isn't it supposed to be version 2010.06.26?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sela For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sela View Post
One small issue I spotted with the YouTube player: when tapping the progress bar to fast forward the video, it just restarts the video instead of going forward.
Seeking is not supported in H.263 videos on YouTube. It should work with H.264 format.

Originally Posted by sela View Post
BTW: Isn't it supposed to be version 2010.06.26?
Yes, you're absolutely right! Thank you!

more screen shots available ? BTW great work

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
not tried this yet, but will give it a go tonight.

A big thank you regardless for continuing to develop and support the N8x0s

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gazza_d For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Denver, CO -> Italy
I have some issues with the last update on my N900.
Look like I have missing packages and now I am not able to install any application or remove media box.

I have Mediabox Media center 2010.06.26 and if I try to uninstall it from app manager I have one error saying that other packages are using this app
(mediabox-youtube and mediabox-internet-radio).

So I have tried to remove the two packages but app manager crash.

If I try to run from terminal:

Code:
apt-get remove mediabox

I have the following:

Code:
The following packages will be REMOVED:
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 3 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.

after confirmation

Code:
dpkg: parse error, in file '/var/lib/dpkg/available' near line 5277:
missing package name

E: Sub-process /urs/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)

Anyone have an idea?

It looks like a corrupt package database. Did you try
Code:
apt-get install -f
mediabox-youtube and mediabox-internet-radio can be uninstalled. They're not needed anymore.

Tags
mediabox, pycage rules