Poll: How much apps do you typically keep open on your N900?
Poll Options
How much apps do you typically keep open on your N900?

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 1,679 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by jukey View Post
What I don't understand is the different concept in modest. I'm able to open 10 browser windows at the same time but only one email window! Why? I use two mail accounts with tons of folders and it would be a big step forward to open more than one window at the same time.

Ciao jukey
Good point, indeed. I'll check with the guys from email R&D. I don't know, but to be honest I rather have a combined inbox than plenty of windows for each email account.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter@Maemo Marketing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by NokTokDaddy View Post
Hi Peter, and thanks for asking the community on this one.

You obviously know what you're looking for, but I guess data is nothing without context, so I'll be brief:

Hope this helps!
Yes, I know what I'm looking for. And it may have some serious influence on our work here. There is little statistical evidence on who uses how much and which apps. Even this poll, while not necessarily a reasonable sample or selection of voters, it gives many good indications.

But I also need the votes on the pole which is the most powerful communication method ultimately. And yes, it helps. Already now I have many good quotes in the posts that are useful.

So, put in your vote, please.

The Following User Says Thank You to Peter@Maemo Marketing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
I tend to end up with browser, conversations, email and calendar open (which is 4) but then several browser windows open, which gives an appearance of 6 or more.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing View Post
I'm not underestimating the power of community apps, no way. Actually, I'm valuing them a lot and I'm proud of the 28 million downloads. I have several of them on my N900 including Hermes, 3G/2G switching and the Flashlight. I also find useful apps on Ovi Store like Gas Balls which is simply cool.
The downloads are rocketing up aren't they!
almost 30% up in just a month is simply amazing
it can only get stronger as community applications build on the work done to date.
gas balls is such a cool funtime hack, it complements the device well, I am so pleased to see this released on Ovi store.

There are other community based live interactions available too - vasvlad has spent a long time creating liveWallpaper [1], he has added support for XScreensavers which adds literally hundreds of funky animated live backgrounds as well as support for movies and custom apps too!

Good solid Qt apps like quickflickr [2] can be created and happily run on our devices now and should expand into Meego with ease!

[1] http://maemo.org/downloads/product/M...ive-wallpaper/
[2] http://zchydem.enume.net/2010/08/15/...lickr-on-n900/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 17 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mergo, Italy
When not in using i close all windows, while when using it may be 1 to 6 windows open at same time, most of them on web together with email. Sometimes I run 2 or more X terminal to check my servers when I'm out.
I avoid to open more than 6 windows.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acno For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Ĺbo, Finland
I usually don't have that many apps running unless the phone is in my hand. When it is though i have a couple.

Here's an example what I have running:
Media player (Always listening to music)
X-Chat
khteditor
x-term
1-6 browser windows
1-6 conversation windows
witter

sometime it's more sometimes it's less, but that is what I usually have open. I try to close stuff I don't use so i don't get bogged down, but it's pretty smooth with those apps as long as the websites aren't too heavy
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

Last edited by mece; 2010-09-07 at 15:52. Reason: forgot witter...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mece For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
I tend to end up with browser, conversations, email and calendar open (which is 4) but then several browser windows open, which gives an appearance of 6 or more.
Great, my own team colleagues are voting now too, but hey, your vote is as good as mine. You know how my desk looks like typically when I go home i.e. empty.

Posts: 130 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hampshire, UK
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Probably similar usage to qgil.

The Following User Says Thank You to DJRedline For This Useful Post:
often have several apps open
- shell
- browser (several pages)
- notifications
- SMS text entry
- email
- (sometimes) media player ie whilst browsing listen to radio/music
- f1 timing data
- GPS tracking running in background (recording a log to merge with DSLR pictures)
- or possibly satnav app running esp if WALKING (if driving am not touching phone!)

When running these I have a habit of quickly flicking -- for example between web pages, or perhaps between a web page and a contact. I may cut/copy text

Typical is probably 6-8 windows

There's also a variety of more hidden/background apps rnuning, including of course fmms, but also apps to manage connections, IM,etc

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to planetf1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 354 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ London (UK) / Zielona Góra (PL)
I tend to keep dashboard clean, rarely open more than 3-4 apps at once. Main reason - performance, or more precisely - lack of thereof. With just 256MB of RAM and plenty of swap, it doesn't take too long to bring N900 down to its knees, especially while browsing web! I strongly hope that N9 (or however first MeeGo/Harmattan device decides to call itself) will get decent amount of RAM, 512MB is an absolute minimum...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to evad For This Useful Post:

Tags
multitasking, research, reserach, survey