Originally Posted by Sudisk View Post
@jean2323

N900 is not actually a smartphone, yet. I rather think of it as a tablet with phone features, which it is. You're right, it is not mature yet, bu it will get better over time. I am confident that a "N910" phone with all the cool S60 phone features will be a true iPhone killer, technically and functionally. But I'm afraid Nokia will never put up a merchandizing machine like the Apple AppStore.
@Sudkist i really hope n910 shoppers will find a mature phone/device/tablet. many here maybe work for nokia or maemo ... they only talk about what will, how it will, etc ... 6-8 months ... bla. bla ... some, like me, just bought the phone/tablet/etc if you know what i mean

in 6-8 months, to be honest, i think i'll have a 7" or more tablet (hopefully with a pixel qi display) and my dear n82 ... the more i play with n900 and other phones, the more i realize what a great phone n82

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Boston, MA
Originally Posted by Enyibinakata View Post
Dont even bother arguing with the naysayers, they are too blinded by the charms of eye candy UI.

I just updated my s60 based Nokia 5800XM to the latest firmware and at this point, I can honestly say that it has a combination of funtionality, form, features ( incl 2 good cameras great sound quality speakers), durability and price that no iPhone or android device can match. Its UI may be clunky but it does not take much effort learning - no hidden gestures and party tricks etc. Most importantly, its battery life is such that you can continue using it while the candy eyePhones are out of gas - essential for true mobility. No wonder its sold over 11 million copies and still selling, showing that a lot of people still value pragmatism. Not that this will lessen the noise of those who would rather judge a book by the cover.
Its not just the eye candy, I had a 5800 before the N900 and I constantly got out of memory errors which was frustrating to say the least! S60 5th edition is extremely functional which is great...

The only problem here is the 5th edition looks VERY ugly and is not optimized for touch input making it is extremely frustrating to use... This is not judging the book by the cover, I have read that book and could not wait to put it down and read something more substantial and complete! I am not an iphone or a google fanboy either, I have been enjoying Nokia's for the past year and I now own an N900 and am extremely pleased with it so far - The 5800 running S60 5th does not even come close...

Also look at S60 you dont see too many Sony Ericsson, Samsung or LG phones using S60 anymore?? SE is moving to android and Samsung now have Bada.... That really just leaves Nokia - I hope the Symbian Foundation do succeed and the screenshots posted on engadget recently become reality Fast!

The Following User Says Thank You to jer006 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 297 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ new jersey, usa
Originally Posted by jer006 View Post
Its not just the eye candy, I had a 5800 before the N900 and I constantly got out of memory errors which was frustrating to say the least! S60 5th edition is extremely functional which is great...

The only problem here is the 5th edition looks VERY ugly and is not optimized for touch input making it is extremely frustrating to use... This is not judging the book by the cover, I have read that book and could not wait to put it down and read something more substantial and complete! I am not an iphone or a google fanboy either, I have been enjoying Nokia's for the past year and I now own an N900 and am extremely pleased with it so far - The 5800 running S60 5th does not even come close...

Also look at S60 you dont see too many Sony Ericsson, Samsung or LG phones using S60 anymore?? SE is moving to android and Samsung now have Bada.... That really just leaves Nokia - I hope the Symbian Foundation do succeed and the screenshots posted on engadget recently become reality Fast!
samsung is still part of the symbian foundation.

Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
The "it's a computer first, phone second" reason sometimes given for poor quality or incomplete phone/contacts/calendar/maps support does not make sense.

If you think it is a computer with "phone features" added on, think on this:

- Calendar is something you do on a regular computer. In fact it's usually better on a computer than on a phone.

- Maps is something you do on a regular computer. In fact it's usually better on a computer than on a phone.

- IM and VOIP contact list management is something you do on a regular computer. In fact it's usually better on a computer than on a phone.

And, ironically:

- It's a great phone! The N900 is excellent at voice calling. Nice UI during the call (not so much for call log and contacts), good sound, good speakerphone, and seamless esy to use VOIP integration (for supported services). As a "phone", in this respect it is a very good device.

The Following User Says Thank You to jjx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 311 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Boston, MA
kryptoniankid17: I was not arguing that Samsung were not part of the Symbian Foundation anymore...

However the only Samsung phone I can think of right now is the i8910...

I would also suggest reading:
http://mobile.engadget.com/2009/11/1...ays-senior-vp/

While there are some good Nokia Symbian phones, other companies seem to be jumping off to OS's with better eye candy I guess...

Dont take this as bashing Symbian - the screenshots of Symbian ^4 look very promising, however S60 5th is somewhat lacking both in terms of the OS and the hardware in current devices. NOK saw fit to only put 128MB's in the X6 however both SE and Samsung put 256MB's of RAM into their Satio and i8910, NOK need to remedy this in new devices especially as they are selling Multitasking as a feature!

Even the N900 only has 256MB's of physical RAM - Google's nexus one has 512MB's... Why??????

Last edited by jer006; 2010-01-19 at 04:52.

Originally Posted by jjx View Post
The "it's a computer first, phone second" reason sometimes given for poor quality or incomplete phone/contacts/calendar/maps support does not make sense.

If you think it is a computer with "phone features" added on, think on this:

- Calendar is something you do on a regular computer. In fact it's usually better on a computer than on a phone.

- Maps is something you do on a regular computer. In fact it's usually better on a computer than on a phone.

- IM and VOIP contact list management is something you do on a regular computer. In fact it's usually better on a computer than on a phone.

And, ironically:

- It's a great phone! The N900 is excellent at voice calling. Nice UI during the call (not so much for call log and contacts), good sound, good speakerphone, and seamless esy to use VOIP integration (for supported services). As a "phone", in this respect it is a very good device.
It is not a computer, it is a tablet, made to be used on the move.

I did last weekend update, and I started to find some of the features that were missing, like texting from the call log.

The phone quality is as good as it has ever been on any on my Nokias, and unlike what you implied, the calendar and map functionnalities are very usable (have hou tried maep with google maps ?).

But until the phone-related functions that we have on most S60 devices are missing, I will keep seeing my N900 as a tablet with phone features more than a smartphone.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Sudisk View Post
It is not a computer, it is a tablet, made to be used on the move.
Officlai Nokia nomenclature is "mobile computer"

So is there any consesnus on whether its a phone, or a computer, or a tablet or the last option - a mobile computer ?

Comeon my head is spinning along with all this jargon spin - how does the naming matter so much when the usage is what it is - as a phone and as a hand-held computer (oh no- there I add another name to the N900) .

As far as I see it, its a phone cum mobile computer - just as any other similar competing device is. Whats the point of all this "its a computer first, phone second", "its a tablet not a phone", "its a mobile computer, not a tablet", "its a kitchen sink with a calling device " and all such differentiation again ?

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Officlai Nokia nomenclature is "mobile computer"
For me, this was a rare case of corporate hype living up to reality.

The claim that smartphones are computers has been around for years and has always been a joke. The N900 comes very close though and the clincher is the multitasking. I find that I use the N900 in the same way I use a PC: keeping multiple applications open, switching between them, swearing at it when it crashes .. er ..)

I also agree with jjx that the telephony is very good.

Ultimately I see it as a heaven-sent device for geeks. It probably doesn't appeal to the mass market (though a different Maemo device no doubt could). When people ask me about it (and it does get a lot of attention) I say, "It's Debian Linux in your pocket. It's as good/bad as that sounds." Matter of taste.

n95 was, i think, hte first to be called "mobile computer"