Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Originally Posted by harrihakulinen View Post
I agree with almost everything you said.
But, IMHO, the best way to reduce confusion would be to call Harmattan (on any hw) plainly "Harmattan", at least in maemo.org.

("MeeGo-Harmattan" is OK as well, if you insist )

But for example in the subject on your 'N900 community support for the future MeeGo based release from Nokia' thread you have used ONLY "MeeGo" and that confused at least me for quite some time.

Br,
//Harri
I agree. I was(still?) confused with meego/harmattan.

But the naming is still confusing.

Throughout the discussions meego has been associated/interchanged with Harmattan and caused a lot of confusion (for me anyway!).

It would make sense to associate harmattan with maemo6 and not necessarily with meego.

"Harmattan" = maemo6 (with meego compatibility?)
"MeeGo" = MeeGo Core + MeeGo UI?

If we try an keep this distinction it will be a lot clearer.

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 164 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Chateauroux, FRANCE
for me :

MeeGo is the core and the concept (linux kernel 2.6.33, qt4.6, multitasking)
Harmattan is the UI framework, based on Qt4.6, and shared with Symbian^4
MeeGo Handset UX will use Harmattan framework
Nokia's DuiHome uses Harmattan too

Normal meego 1.1 devices will have MeeGo Core + Meego Handset UX + RPM + MeeGo Apps
N900 and maybe next device from Nokia will have : MeeGo Core + DuiHome + DEB + Nokia Apps

that's all !

The Following User Says Thank You to TheBootroo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
@TheBootroo

Harmattan is the whole software product that will be on Nokia's next Linux handset, not just the UI framework. The UI Framework is based on Qt 4.6 but is not shared with Symbian^4. Symbian has it's own 'UI Extensions for Mobile' (formerly Orbit) framework.

N900 will have MeeGo vanilla. Possibly also Harmattan.

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 360 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Pirkkala, Finland
Originally Posted by TheBootroo View Post
for me :

MeeGo is the core and the concept (linux kernel 2.6.33, qt4.6, multitasking)
Harmattan is the UI framework, based on Qt4.6, and shared with Symbian^4
MeeGo Handset UX will use Harmattan framework
Nokia's DuiHome uses Harmattan too

Normal meego 1.1 devices will have MeeGo Core + Meego Handset UX + RPM + MeeGo Apps
N900 and maybe next device from Nokia will have : MeeGo Core + DuiHome + DEB + Nokia Apps
that's all !
Not exactly:

Harmattan is the whole Maemo6 sw project for next Nokia device, including almost everything for it.

Harmattan UI framework (former DUI) is nowadays called "MeeGo touch framework".

(based on that you can continue on speculative mode .. )

Br,
//Harri

Last edited by harrihakulinen; 2010-05-28 at 09:50.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to harrihakulinen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Can we go back to the topic of this thread, please?

- Users that care about "the next Nokia product" with all the commercial whistles, and how to get that running in the N900: stay in this forum.

- Users that care about "the next release of the MeeGo project" with all its open source glory, and how to get that running in the N900: go to http://forum.meego.com/

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
I think if people get confused, it is because the situation is confusing...

Harmattan being used as a cover name for some MeeGo stuff... you can't blame people for mixing up...

(Don't wait too much to make it goes out in the open,too much people got it ... and sorry to spoil, couldn't resist )

Last edited by bzhbok; 2010-05-28 at 12:34.

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
The confusion "only" comes when people don't understand the difference between plain MeeGo and MeeGo-Harmattan
The confusion comes from renaming "Maemo 6" to "MeeGo".

My two cents:

call meego core Plain Meego or Basic Meego

call harmattan Nokia Meego

when Aava comes out with a meego device with their own bits on top we call that Aava Meego, etc

or we could go the Android route, post pending the distinguishing bit

Android Google(nexus one)
Android Motoblur
Android SenseUI
Android Smart Life

The Following User Says Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
I'm happy discussing about names but not in this thread that has the specific purpose of getting a decision about the topic proposed. There is already a sticky topic about naming.

So this is the recommendation for next steps:

- Harri and Carsten, please close your current threads about official meego.com projects linkiing to the new threads at the Handset subforum at http://forum.meego.com . Thanks!

- Please recommend anybody else to bring to that forum any topic related to pure meego.com project or releases.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
I'm happy discussing about names but not in this thread that has the specific purpose of getting a decision about the topic proposed. There is already a sticky topic about naming.

So this is the recommendation for next steps:

- Harri and Carsten, please close your current threads about official meego.com projects linkiing to the new threads at the Handset subforum at http://forum.meego.com . Thanks!
Done my part (N8x0 thread, not sure there were others?), moved it and reported my own post to close thread.

Should we be emphasise that this forum (MeeGo / Harmattan) isn't MeeGo or Harmattan, but MeeGo - Harmattan somewhere then?
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post: