Poll: Would you buy an N10 with the above spec?
Poll Options
Would you buy an N10 with the above spec?

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Then I need better explanations of why my Maemo products have consistently had less battery life than iOS, Android and WP7 and have had similar, if not greater battery mAh capacities.
Does it? I beg to differ. The differences would be small. Turn off the radios of the N9, turn of the low power standby screen and the N9 will hold out for at least a week - just check the idle-consumption and do the math.

Sure, I wouldn't be surprised if the N9 is less efficient with screenupdates; Android has its own compositing framework that might be more suited for mobile apps. But that dwarfs compared to the energy consumption of the display itself.

Multi-tasking has historically been an intense affair in regards to CPU and OS resources. Now, we take it for granted. And worse... we expect it to work like it does on our 32-bit/64-bit desktop OS - in some cases, it delivers too (read: Maemo). But we have to be honest that also means more CPU and/or RAM usage, and thus a spike in what we need to support that.
Not really. Sure, multitasking requires more memory because the apps are all loaded in RAM - that's why we have 1GiB in our N9. The extra CPU load is low, as CPU's do much of the task switching in hardware. I started my ICT-life on a MSX. Z80 CPU, 8 bit, 3,57MHz, <1 MIPS, NOT made for multitasking. But still it's possible, even on that machine: SymbOS

Arguing what a programmer should/shouldn't do - we're past that. Either it works well or it doesn't. It is that absolute.
Wasn't it MS's Balmer who shouted "developers developers developers!"? For the love of NULL, I can't figure out why they now impose such a limits. Are those limitations there to uphold the user experience for even the most tech-illiterated? Are they so afraid of multitasking? Or malware running in the background? Are are they cheapstakes and safe a dollar on the RAM? (Lumia 800 has half the RAM of the N9)

Either way, I'm a tech-adept, and thus I want a phone which doesn't mock me - or even distrusts me.

But hardware and battery technology - face it, battery capacity, discharge rates are being outpaced by CPU, GPU and screen technology. I would love a phone that I didn't have to charge up daily and not weigh a ton.

To say that batteries are "up-to-par" with the aforesaid components (OS, screen, CPU/GPU) would be a rather uninformed statement, imho.
Radios and screen are the number one energy hogs. Multitasking isn't. CPU's are really efficient when idle. And that's what multitasking is: happily sitting idle together waiting for something to happen.

Needless to say: letting your 3D game run in the background while reading e-mail is killing battery. But then I refer to my previous post: developers shouldn't be stupid.

My point remains: proper multitasking, as on the N9, is of no hindrance to anyone; limiting multitasking is, even if the group is small.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Honestly, the N9 has proven to be far less usable without a charger within reach.

Only my stock Samsung Captivate was worse with about 6 hours of my type of usage - a custom ROM (Serendipity) resolved that for me. No such luck with the N9. 8 hours if I'm lucky; on standby though, it's great for 2 days.

PR1.2 has made my battery life much worse than PR1.1 ever was.
Yeah but that's your usage experience.
Others with similar patterns have reported far better.
It's the same with every smartphone/OS.
It's like a lucky dip, sometimes you luck out.
e.g.
Heaps of 710/800* users are still having poor battery life.
Despite two updates in the last 5mth specifically targeting it.

*Much less common with the 710 for some reason.
Some say its because it was assembled in-house whereas the 800 was by compal, I dunno.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-03-16 at 17:08. Reason: typo

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
Does it? I beg to differ. The differences would be small. Turn off the radios of the N9, turn of the low power standby screen and the N9 will hold out for at least a week - just check the idle-consumption and do the math.
Been there, done that. And I still say that the N9 is on the lower end of the spectrum of anything I've owned in the last 3 years.

But as it stands, I don't want to turn off all of the radios. Then it's no longer a phone. It's... a calculator. I purchased a phone, to make phone calls, via (albeit HORRIBLE) 3G system in the US. And I get what you're saying; but been there, done that. The time that the N9 can be off the charger is quite a bit disappointing.

Sure, I wouldn't be surprised if the N9 is less efficient with screenupdates; Android has its own compositing framework that might be more suited for mobile apps. But that dwarfs compared to the energy consumption of the display itself.
And... I learned something new here. Thanks!

Not really. Sure, multitasking requires more memory because the apps are all loaded in RAM - that's why we have 1GiB in our N9. The extra CPU load is low, as CPU's do much of the task switching in hardware. I started my ICT-life on a MSX. Z80 CPU, 8 bit, 3,57MHz, <1 MIPS, NOT made for multitasking. But still it's possible, even on that machine: SymbOS
But you're talking about multi-tasking 32-bit apps, you'll need that extra RAM due to code bloat.

Multi-tasking 8-bit apps will take much less resources.

Wasn't it MS's Balmer who shouted "developers developers developers!"? For the love of NULL, I can't figure out why they now impose such a limits. Are those limitations there to uphold the user experience for even the most tech-illiterated? Are they so afraid of multitasking? Or malware running in the background? Are are they cheapstakes and safe a dollar on the RAM? (Lumia 800 has half the RAM of the N9)
Man, I've been wondering the same thing.

My point remains: proper multitasking, as on the N9, is of no hindrance to anyone; limiting multitasking is, even if the group is small.
And while I'm not disagreeing, my point isn't around multi-tasking being the culprit on the N9 - I rarely keep applications running in the background. Close all is my friend. I'm saying that battery technology has been outpaced by the other technologies in our phones.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Yeah but that's your usage experience.
Read the blinking forums man! I'm not the only person complaining about battery life on this thing.

This whole "well it works for me" mentality is a level of egocentrism on a new level of blindness that I'll just simply wait for it to come around in a complaint like all of those folks that kept saying "my microUSB port hasn't come out of my N900, you must be doing something wrong" and later they had multiple N900's that had that same problem - and yes, I pointed fingers at those folks because they were quick in that thread to say "nothing's wrong with mine!" - it was bound to happen.

Simply stated - that's "my use" is a poor argument. It's called using the damn phone and I'm not doing anything way out of spec. I make a call - I shouldn't be out of 15% battery after a 10 minute call. Yet... read the "How-to Improve N9 Battery Life" thread - it's in there at least twice.

And it's "my usage" you wish to point out? I'm just using the bloody phone as a phone. Surprise? Shock? Horror? It's to call folks. That's regular usage no matter how you state it.

Others with similar patterns have reported far better.
And others worse.

It's the same with every smartphone/OS.
It's like a lucky dip, sometimes you luck out.
e.g.
Heaps of 710/800* users are still having poor battery life.
Despite two updates in the last 5mth specifically targeting it.
And folks are not lucking out. Just because you're lucky with great usage doesn't mean that you should wave your phone around saying "I'm not having a problem, so it must be you"... that's just incredibly daft.

It means that somewhere, there is a problem. Does it mean it's universal? More than likely not. It just means that folks need to look closer at the pattern, find a solution, then try to fix it instead of the far easier "It must be you" mentality.

Same mentality is what has a person rampaging around here stating that they know that each and every Nokia N9 with a chipping problem on the USB latch is absolutely not made in Finland (not true) or is a fake (also not true).

That type of "I don't believe it because it doesn't happen to me" mindset is incredibly closed minded and only seems to exist around here for the most part. It's silly.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
LOL you can calm down now...
And you're kinda mis-characterizing what I said, putting words in my mouth & all that.
I'm not having a problem, so it must be you
I never said anything of the sort, & if it came across that way it certainly wasn't intentional.

My point was read any WP/Android & even iOS forum, & you'll find bucket-loads of people not happy with consumption.
Just because you're having really poor performance, doesn't mean Maemo 6x is worse "period".
You need statistical info which validates that battery performance is worse on avg. compared to WP/Android.*
Saying it's bad for you/others on this forum isn't conclusive, nor is using the counter-argument that many people aren't having a problem.
I'm well aware people are having problems, and I'm not trying to say "it must be you".
I do try to help if/wherever I can, but alas I'm not "all knowing & all seeing" for each circumstance.

Anyway I'm done soon....
I'm happy/sad to report that I won't be partaking in such debates much at all very soon.
I've been slowly whittling down my frequency of posts over the last 3mth.
I hope to have weaned myself almost entirely within another week or so (I've said that before!).
Life's just been getting to busy & much more important lately, I don't have the luxury of time that I once had.
I'll remain subscribed to a dozen or so threads & be active in those once /wk, but that's it.
This isn't one I'll be subscribed to (tempting as it is) but I wish you luck with the extended debate.

It's been a crazy ride with you all, especially over the last 9-months+...
Like most here I'm sure agree, here's hoping someone finally release a truly F/OSS mobile OS, & that they do a solid job upon 1st release.**
And most importantly above all else... Here's hoping it remains an important part of their smartphone strategy longer-term.
And with that, lets hope that we see them actually deliver excellent hardware in a timely & regular fashion.

*not an easy task to do it "properly".
** they need to in this uber competitive environment!

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-03-16 at 18:30. Reason: typo

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post

But hardware and battery technology - face it, battery capacity, discharge rates are being outpaced by CPU, GPU and screen technology. I would love a phone that I didn't have to charge up daily and not weigh a ton.
my 120g battery gives me 3-4 days of heavy use(4600mAh+internal one in n900)
i believe a total of 300g is far less than a ton and quite reasonable for what i get in return

Put your hopes on Tizen and Samsung. Maemo and Meego are dead, maybe zombies, but still dead concerning the future. I hope Nokia will be dead also. The world does not need nor deserve more Microsoft domination and CIA/NSA-backdoors.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
Put your hopes on Tizen and Samsung. Maemo and Meego are dead, maybe zombies, but still dead concerning the future. I hope Nokia will be dead also. The world does not need nor deserve more Microsoft domination and CIA/NSA-backdoors.
As long as Tizen promotes "HTML5" and WebAPI as the way to create apps I think the world is better off without it. Having html5/webtech as a (low end) alternative is fine, but QML/Qt should be the primary development platform.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Why not support tizen?

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
Why not support tizen?
Because nothing of interest has been shown thus far, and the chances are that it will be underwhelming.

My website

GitHub

Tags
buysomethinelse, free oss, goodbyenokia, idiot thread, idiotibrakalifa, schizophrenia, tizen doa, tizen lives, tizen schmizen, troll fest!