Notices

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 375 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Berlin
Originally Posted by danielpublic View Post
Question: Does it handle IM (jabber/icq/that msn stuff) traffic?
See bugs #718, #960. I guess it won't work for ICQ/MSN then either. The alternative to implementing SOCKS proxy support in all protocols would be to proxy transparently via NAT. But you need a kernel with NAT support (take for example this discussion as a starting point).

Originally Posted by mail_e36 View Post
I am wondering if I would be able to tunnel SSH through Tor using this application. It does look like there is a service running locally on port 8118. A user may be able to use a SOCKS-enabled application to tunnel its traffic through Tor?
Polipo is listening on port 8118. It forwards requests to the Tor SOCKS proxy, that is listening on port 9050.
I'm not sure, can ssh connect to a proxy directly? Otherwise you'd have to use the ssh ProxyCommand config option and a tool like socat, netcat or connect-proxy.

Originally Posted by mail_e36 View Post
Also, what is this new "Bridge Relays" function available in the Tor application?
They are relays that are not listed in the main Tor directory and thus can't be blocked (as effectively) by your ISP. Check out http://www.torproject.org/bridges.html for more information.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pH5 For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the info! I'll look into it

Posts: 130 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Israel
any way to install it in another place other than rootfs??

The Following User Says Thank You to StOoZ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 54 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Hm, ok thansk for the info! I guess the proxy bit doesn't work even though I use pidgin with the usual 127.0.0.1:9050 as socks5 proxy. Since it seems to be a kernel-thingy..

I've promoted v0.0.4-2 to extras-testing, so that'd be your chance to vote it up (or down) or file a bug (or two out of the three).

Originally Posted by StOoZ View Post
any way to install it in another place other than rootfs??
I checked, the package and all dependencies are properly optified. If you want to install it in another place for your own reasons, you'll have to build from source, configured with a different prefix.

Originally Posted by danielpublic View Post
Hm, ok thansk for the info! I guess the proxy bit doesn't work even though I use pidgin with the usual 127.0.0.1:9050 as socks5 proxy. Since it seems to be a kernel-thingy..
I meant missing NAT is a kernel problem, so transparent proxying doesn't work out of the box. I don't see why pidgin shouldn't be able to use Tor as SOCKS5 proxy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pH5 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 177 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ China
hey ph5. as always, thanks for the updates and the great work..

i have a question, please see attached image:

I've removed the edited lines in torrc file (use bridges 1 and the subsequent bridge relays) and then added them via the new applet dialog. is this related or....?
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to HRZ For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by HRZ View Post
I've removed the edited lines in torrc file (use bridges 1 and the subsequent bridge relays) and then added them via the new applet dialog. is this related or....?
I do not think this is related - you can still try and use the bridge configuration in torrc to compare - if the applet's bridge configuration dialog is empty, it shouldn't try to overwrite the bridge configuration.

Could you check if there's another [warn] line in the log above this message? I think this message means that Tor can reach the entry relay but doesn't manage to establish a connection for some reason.

The Following User Says Thank You to pH5 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
pH5, a small request please, if I may.

In the HildonPannableArea used to contain the widget that shows the log, could you please set the "mov-mode" property to HILDON_MOVEMENT_MODE_BOTH so that I can scroll it horizontally as well as vertically?

Sorry for not reporting this via the bug tracker - it's blocked here and I don't feel much up to typing on the N900...

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
In the HildonPannableArea used to contain the widget that shows the log, could you please set the "mov-mode" property to HILDON_MOVEMENT_MODE_BOTH so that I can scroll it horizontally as well as vertically?
Sure. Scrolling diagonally looks a bit ugly with all that tearing going on, but I guess it's better than wrapping the lines.

The Following User Says Thank You to pH5 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I'm using this handy program just to get around Tmobile's port restrictions for a prepaid Sidekick account, and it works great with regular http traffic. But as soon as I try to download any small thing, I get a message that it can't be done. For example, if I try to download the 9k program zsync with app mgr it says 'zsync Failed'. Or download anything else, like rss headers or small files.

Is there some setting that will allow
downloads?

Edit: I actually managed to buy and download a program and install it, so I now know some downloads work. But I am not sure how to track down this problem. I have quite a bit of rootfs space and gigs of space elsewhere. I don't seem able to download anything from within app mgr or using apt-get install. I can't download any feeds using feedingit. I can't download any books.

UNLESS I switch from using the onion router and tmobile and go back to using wireless. Then I can download everything as usual.

Last edited by geneven; 2010-03-14 at 13:25.

Tags
"tor story"