Active Topics

Posts: 64 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Dun ask abt location
Hey guys i just wanted to ask has anyone ever installed these three OS on his phone or does it work if you install nitdroid and meego?
I mean like i have meamo and nitdroid installed on my phone what is gonna happen if i install meego
anyone ever tried yet??
i am asking all these question coz i am not a developer or a programmer

Posts: 463 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mumbai, India
i would also like to know if these 3 OS can work in harmony on the n900

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 372 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Westside
Originally Posted by devil prince View Post
i am asking all these question coz i am not a developer or a programmer
This answers your question.

Nothing will happen to your NITDroid nor Maemo; this is the whole point of "multibooting" as you've already experienced through the fantastic NITDroid setup.

But, since you are not a developer nor a programmer, this is what will happen after you've installed MeeGo;

1. After multiple missteps, head scratches and "son-of-a-b!tches" you finally get MeeGo pop up as an option during bootup.
2. You boot MeeGo with tingling excitement. 5 mins later you realize it's slow, because the SD card you have is slow, the OS still not fully optified blah blah blah.
3. UI functions but barely. Nothing to see there. Moving on.
4. A day later you will return here asking
a) how to restore everything back to normal
b) why all the hype around MeeGo as it clearly sucks at the moment.

Does that clarify it?

I'll put it in another way: don't do it.

"The Cake Is A Lie"

Last edited by frostbyte; 2010-11-28 at 07:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to frostbyte For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
As much as I hate these snide little tags on the threads, I have to admit, sometimes I really can't help but agree. "Facepalm" is just so apt...

Okay: basic facts about operating systems: So long as there's enough disk space, and the code has been compiled for the right architecture and all the drivers exist, any number of OSs can exist on the same device.

Now, the N900 makes things a bit more difficult as an embedded device where the bootloader has to take care of some things like hardware initialization that's normally handed to the kernel, so it's not as easy to implement an OS switching bootloader. However, basically, since the days of bootmenu/multiboot, what you're talking about has been possible. Yes they can coexist. Yes it's relatively easy to do. Not end-user easy, but easy in comparison to how it was just a couple months ago.

I am pretty sure that both NITDroid and MeeGo do not offer user friendly instructions for how to partition your internal storage and/or SD card to boot both, but if you understand how to do it, you can make it work with either of those locations, either with multiboot or uboot (I recommend uboot for preserving the NAND chip reasons.)

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ India
Originally Posted by frostbyte View Post
This answers your question. Since you are not a developer nor a programmer, this is what will happen after you've installed MeeGo (nothing will happen to your NITDroid nor Maemo; the whole point of "multibooting"):

1. After multiple missteps, head scratches and "son-of-a-b!tches" you finally get MeeGo pop up as an option during bootup.
2. You boot MeeGo with tingling excitement. 5 mins later you realize it's slow, because the SD card you have is slow, the OS still not fully optified blah blah blah.
3. UI functions but barely. Nothing to see there. Moving on.
4. A day later you will return here asking
a) how to restore everything back to normal
b) why all the hype around MeeGo as it clearly sucks at the moment.

Does that clarify it?

I'll put it in another way: don't do it.
That's why I've not installed MeeGO.I'm happy with Nitdroid.

Web Advices
Tablet Phone X
Blogging Tips
Know IP Address

Posts: 64 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Dun ask abt location
I get it NitDroid works much faster coz i installed it in sys mem :P now i was thinking of installing MeeGo too coz its offlicialy released since its gonna make probs i wont i hope we get NitDroid fully functional
anyways tanx dudes

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Albuquerque, NM, USA
Originally Posted by devil prince View Post
I get it NitDroid works much faster coz i installed it in sys mem :P now i was thinking of installing MeeGo too coz its offlicialy released since its gonna make probs i wont i hope we get NitDroid fully functional
anyways tanx dudes
I just want to tell you both good luck. We're all counting on you.

The Following User Says Thank You to preflex For This Useful Post:

Tags
facepalm, like totally