Notices

Posts: 298 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Norway
I doubt that Minecraft is compatible with JOGL. Lwjgl is a full API, not only for graphics. It takes care of sound, graphics and input. Replacing one of them would require skills. And besides, if it simply just compiled someday, it would work.

Minecraft PE is written for Android. Android uses Dalvik, which has a different way of working with OpenGL. It uses framebuffers instead.
And either way, I don't think PE uses lwjgl at all, they've most probably designed it for the Android platform, which makes it a lot easier than having to port the whole suite of lwjgl.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nokia 5700 For This Useful Post:
The LWJGL 2.8.1 release contain the new opengl-es 2.0 bindings.

I have sucessfully compiled and tested LWJGL on several ARM boards. Will it be enough to run minecraft?... no read below...

First issue 1:

If LWJGL work at all depends on the quality of available libEGL.so and libGLES*.so library/drivers.

These librarys/drivers are created by the GPU core design team(AMD for the imx drivers, Nvidia for the tegra drivers, Imagination Technologies for the SGX drivers,ARM for the mali drivers etc),

The drivers are then supplied by the SoC manufacturer (Nvidia,Ti,Freescale,Qualcomm) to the end user, usually with restrictions on re-distribution. To my knowlege no ARM SoC have fully opensourced GPU drivers, only the drivers kernel part are opensourced but the real logic are inside the userspace librarys, this means that we can not fix any bugs or extend the driver itself, if the diver have missed to implement a feature, then we have to live with it. Also the userspace driver some times need to get recompiled for new kernel versions.

So here are a quick list of drivers that I have currently been able to get working with LWJGL on ARM:

The SGX omap4430 used by the Ti Pandaboard.
http://openjdk.gudinna.com/lwjgl-es/...oard-LWJGL.png
The Nvidia tegra2 alpha1 driver used by the ac100 and TrimSlice.
http://openjdk.gudinna.com/lwjgl-es/IMG_0669.JPG

Drivers that currently do not work:
The SGX omap3630 driver used by the Nokia N9
z430(now rebranded adreno 200) AMD driver used by the imx53 quickstart board.
The reason why they currently fail are because these two drivers do not like the provided default PixelFormat used by LWJGL, we have to alter LWJGL to figure out and supply the drivers prefered pixel format:
http://lwjgl.org/forum/index.php/topic,4266.0.html

Posts: 236 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ switzerland
Hello,

Don't know if it deserve its own tread, but i wonder if this:

http://pi.minecraft.net

woudl be possible to port to our n900/N9 devices?

Posts: 83 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Spain
not working in my N900 :P

Posts: 236 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ switzerland
me neither, but as it has been compiled for ARM and support Opengl ES, i thought it may help

Last edited by Mitrigol; 2013-02-12 at 14:49.

It doesn't work because minecraft-pi has been linked against a newer version of libstdc++ (and consequently compiled with a newer version of GCC) than is available for N900.
Code:
~/mcpi $ ldd minecraft-pi
./minecraft-pi: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version 'GLIBCXX_3.4.15' not found (required by ./minecraft-pi)

<SNIP>

~/mcpi $ strings /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 | grep GLIBC
GLIBCXX_3.4
GLIBCXX_3.4.1
GLIBCXX_3.4.2
GLIBCXX_3.4.3
GLIBCXX_3.4.4
GLIBCXX_3.4.5
GLIBCXX_3.4.6
GLIBCXX_3.4.7
GLIBCXX_3.4.8
GLIBCXX_3.4.9
GLIBC_2.4
GLIBCXX_FORCE_NEW
Also there's the more minor problem that it depends on "libbcm_host.so", which is a library that exists only on the Raspberry Pi to interface with the SoC (which means it might be doing specialized hardware initialization).
The only solution I can see is to somehow compile a newer version of libstdc++ and append its location to LD_LIBRARY_PATH while launching.

Last edited by Applesaws; 2013-02-13 at 00:55.

The Following User Says Thank You to Applesaws For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Or you could launch it in a chrooted filesystem, similar to the Debian system used on the Pi.

Minecraft Pi edition is pending testing on my N9.

Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
Or you could launch it in a chrooted filesystem, similar to the Debian system used on the Pi.
You know, I was wondering if it would work to simply chroot into a Raspian (Raspberry Pi Debian) image copied to N900 - after all, they're both ARM (though RasPi is ARMv6 and compiled with hard float and N900 is ARMv7 using soft float).
...Is it even possible to run hardfloat binaries/chroot on soft float kernel/system?

Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post

Minecraft Pi edition is pending testing on my N9.
I tried on wheezy armhf pi image but it does not work.
Code:
 ./minecraft-pi
* failed to open vchiq instance

Posts: 83 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Spain
It is then possible. It would have to compile a new version of libstdc++. I'm wrong?