Anyone else immediately think of (the old) iPod Nano when you see the N9?

The similarity is uncanny, to say the least...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PradaBrada For This Useful Post:
Posts: 431 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
No flash? not even asking for 10.3 (3rd update over past 2 months on Android) but at least 10.1 not even asking for AIR. Nothing changed in this matter from 2,5 year!. Even Apple let us develop apps using AIR and translate to native C these days.

Lack of apps and now even less flexibility to have a custom Linux boxes. Just abandoned this forum when I bought new Nexus S. 4inch AMOLED, screen same processor, a bit less memory. But Flash 10.3 and AIR 2.6 (2.7 coming soon). If you are not familiar with AIR what does it means for your OS? here is the list of 10 000 apps available for Android Blackberry and some of them where ported to iOS.

http://www.appbrain.com/apps/adobe-air

This number of apps only increased a value of the platform that allowed it on their device. And came up only within past year when Nokia was busy doing deal with MS. Do you remember my flames about it? How big flash community can make it happen much faster than this small community of developers? It is already a fact. we developed 10x more for mobile platforms within a year than you here within 5. And you might complain Flash based apps are not as good as native ones. True. But user is not giving a **** about that. They want a choice.

The only thing I missed so much is HW keyboard. N9 showing no advantage over it except camera. I was sceptical about Android as most of you. But I am enjoying latest version of it, since it's google reference phone for developers. And is always getting updates first. I have to say as a touch screen phone, smart phone and app holder eating N900 on breakfast. And realised how much less time I'm spending to get access to information I need. The way how map navigation and skype is working here made me feel like a foolish dude trusting that was the strongest Nokia selling point.

I was a big fan of N900 even a bit blind. Still using it as communicator and in fact this is primary and only function of the phone for £400. It is a bit silly since sitting next to my desktop pc most of the time.

Came back with a little hope here... noting. I like a design but the rest is not making this device even better than N900. And my N900 you already know when is ended up.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devu For This Useful Post:
I really disliked the N9 at first, but I've read around a bit and thought about how it would fit with me.

-I'd definitely go for black + 64gb

-No hardware keyboard, though the screen is 3.9" and I'm very pleased with the N900 Vkey

-No widgets: This bothered me a lot, but then I found out that the calendar notifications and alarms - all of that stuff - goes in the notifications screen. Depending on how this information is presented and organized, I may be perfectly fine with this.
I would probably have a weather app and similar things open in the multitasking area and set at 4x4 when it's just idling to make up for that.

-Not having a launcher for just unlocking the phone -> phone app/sms/mms/calendar/alarm immediately without any side swiping is going to be annoying.

-I liked the settings menu of the N900 more not a huge deal though

-No wallpaper: except for the lock screen. God damn. Yeah it's modern and all that but I hope that it will get a hack for wallpapers.

-Old hardware: I don't get why this is such a big deal. Except maybe that it's an A8 at 1Ghz so I can't imagine it being any more overclockable. Nokia is very good at making software run well on low end hardware and this is not low end, it's just slightly older. Considering how well the N900 performed at 600Mhz I don't get why this would be such a big deal at all except for how nerds wont be able to wave their e-cock around with comparing hardware, completely ignoring the performance.

-WHY does the app menu get the same amount of relevance as the notifications and task manager??? Remember the N900? I barely went into the menu at all. The N9 seems generally very content centric to be honest, the UI only seems to serve the purpose of getting you from app A to B (though it does it very well). Unlike the N900 where you had widgets which allowed you to unify A and B's contents in a homescreen. The N9 does this via the 4x4 mode in the multitasker, but that hardly seems to be a substitute.

-I hope the browser gets flash. From the community or otherwise.

-I remember reading that you have to install x-terminal, that's going on there immediately. Luckily it's still a linux device, so I hope that the community that has made the N900 greater will make the N9 great.

-The whole NFC interaction with speakers and stuff like that is really cool. If I go for this I would definitely buy an NFC speaker (come home, press play on N9, tap the speaker to automatically broadcast via bluetooth -> instant chill mode)

-I hope that the screen glass is tough as hell, because there isn't a screen protector in the world that will go over that convex display :P

So that's just a few things. Looking at it from just my point of view, disregarding it's "future" (if Nokia drops MeeGO, you still have other companies, remember?), comparisons to other platforms and stuff, I have to say that it looks like a really nice device. Unlike the N900 though, I am skeptical about some things and positive about others (I couldn't find a thing on the N900 which put me off at all). So I will wait for the reviews, but I don't think a particularly gloomy disposition is necessary yet

Sorry for the long post.

Last edited by Parody; 2011-06-21 at 21:34.

The Following User Says Thank You to Parody For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
please change the thread title to "N9: It's existence has finally been confirmed but the release date has not"

/me paces angrily

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
Nokia is very good at making software run well on low end hardware and this is not low end, it's just slightly older.
you say that like its a good thing

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PradaBrada For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Certainly not worthy of an upgrade from my N800. This is as far from a Linux desktop experience as as handset can get. It's like going Android--and when it comes down to choosing the N9 or any PLETHORA of the Android devices out there, I'll stick with Android, thanks. What a let-down, Nokia.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by uhbhatti88 View Post
Hey guys, i was flipping thru N9 links and came across this nokia developer's guide to the N9 UX:

http://www.developer.nokia.com/swipe/ux/

Did a thread search and noone had posted this yet so i thought id put it up.

And also this image from above link:
http://www.developer.nokia.com/swipe...ev_options.png

On the whole, I'm really excited about this phone, being an N900 user for a year or so. I showed it to my kid sister, who uses a berry, and her first
comment? "Looks like a better version of your phone". lol.
Excellent. IMO this UI is really "disruptive" (disruptive is not the right word, ingenious is more describing). Everything is there, full multitasking etc etc, yet it is simple and intuitive, just like the hardware. I like this device more and more

Posts: 431 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
PradaBrada and Danramos are here, I'll better get a popcorn

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to devu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Certainly not worthy of an upgrade from my N800. This is as far from a Linux desktop experience as as handset can get. It's like going Android--and when it comes down to choosing the N9 or any PLETHORA of the Android devices out there, I'll stick with Android, thanks. What a let-down, Nokia.
Same thoughts here, replace N800 with N900 in my case (which can also run Nitdroid, so I'm covered there, too).

?
You can still use all the linux stuff.

I want the pink one, it looks sooo sexy, girls will love it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????